Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

zerks wrote: »

Just found this-funny but true.

Very tasteful but I enjoyed it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

RKQ wrote: »
    Ditto
    I find your contributions negative and aggressive. Name calling and references to dog doo say a lot about you and your level of maturity.

I think you and jpb1974 like being negative and aggressive. Its a pity neither of you can make an intelligent argument to support your view. jpb1974 talks a lot of waffle.
    This forum is about debate, give it a try without negative attempts to put me down.

Maybe Enniscorthy continues to suffer and fail due to people like both of you - Negative, aggressive, back-biting.
    Maybe if people were more positive this town could grow and prosper.

I'm off to the beach, no real debate here.

Excuse me, name calling? At no point did I do that. In fact, I have consistently stuck to the boards rule of attacking the post, not the poster. I have broken down your posts into points, either addressing or querying each one, with a view to getting relevant debate on them. At no point did I make reference to your character, or suggest anything personal about you in my posts. The closest I came to that was to compare the nature of your answers to those of politicians. To be blunt, calling maturity into question, and alleging an an inability for "intelligent argument" is the first thing close to name calling in this thread.

Hypocrisy, thy name is RKQ.

Mods, I apologise if this post is off topic, but I don't appreciate accusations such as those what were made, when up to this I had actually been addressing points only to get no response

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Enniscorthy is the central town in the county so should be treated as so,too often everything goes to Wexford town.Not begrudging Wexford

Not having a go at you here but this is exactly the problem with development in Ireland. It has been shown that for smaller growth centres such as Enniscorthy to flourish you first need to develop central hubs. By developing the larger towns like Wexford and creating good transport links development in all areas will filter down. This is easier understood on the national stage. Ireland's history of spreading out inward investment as done by the IDA has actually hampered our growth.

I think when the new motorway is built people will actually see how deserted Enniscorthy is, the amount of people there at the moment is just an allusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I first read the title of this as Enniscorthy Slag List. Now theres a thread that people would enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I first read the title of this as Enniscorthy Slag List. Now theres a thread that people would enjoy!

It'd be a long list:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

cython wrote: »
    Hypocrisy, thy name is RKQ.

This is a clear example of name calling. Another personal attack that adds nothing to the discussion or topic. Mods is this an example of Flaming?

Enought of these pointless immature personal attacks, lets get back on topic.
    I agree with others above, the fate of the Castle will be decided by the youth of the area - bums on seats. Money talks at the end of the day.
    Personally I believe a properous town needs a number of different Niteclubs, pubs, music / comedy venues etc each catering to many varied tastes.

I don't believe an individual should be involved in physical aggression. Its up to the Management of the Niteclub to ensure public safety within their premises and it is up to the Garda to ensure public safety on our streets.

There should not be large numbers of "barred people" outside a premises waiting to cause trouble. Proper Policing outside the premise would prevent acts of violence or street fights.

If you look at Theatre in Victorian times you will see it was quite a boisterous place with lots of crowd participatation. The crowd were usually quite merry or drunk. I am not comparing the Castle with the Atheneum. I am simply pointing out that theatre is very unpredictable and certain shows or performances could cause public disorder. This has happened in this country in recent times, look at the outcry Playboy of the Western World caused.

I hope a refurbished Atheneum will become a popular theatre venue, a popular music venue and a popular comedy venue. It will need be to survive in this economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'm all for debate so long as the points people are making are both valid and relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

As long as I'm not on it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I have to say it looks well at night.

4972749280_a017ff0d47_b.jpg

4972223321_f13740819e_b.jpg

Of course it looks nice at night and it would look even better in a total eclipse. :D

• Advertisement

Thats a beautiful picture of the old bridge. Both Quays are very attractive.

(We have a beautiful town, thanks to the river Slaney - one of the most attractive in Ireland, at present. Not sure what proposed "flood defences" will do)

Thats a beautiful picture of the old bridge. Both Quays are very attractive.

(We have a beautiful town, thanks to the river Slaney - one of the most attractive in Ireland, at present. Not sure what proposed "flood defences" will do)

No, we have a potentially beautiful town - darkness and lighting cover up a myriad of eyesores - you can't see any of the day time drinking in those pics, or the graffiti, or the relentless traffic, or the closed up shops, smashed windows etc. There's no point in burying our heads in the sand, there are many problems which need urgent attention. If the flood defences are built as proposed you might as well move the town 5 miles downstream like Springfield in the Simpsons.

you can't see any of the day time drinking in those pics, or the graffiti, or the relentless traffic, or the closed up shops, smashed windows etc.

I'd agree that the town has problems. Doesn't every town?
    But as formed by nature, this valley and man built town, we are quite lucky. The view of Enniscorthy Quays, the Prom, the view from Vinegar Hill, view of St.Senan from the C.B.S etc.

We are spoilt by numerous really beautiful views. Enniscorthy is positioned in a beautiful setting.

Its still a beautiful photo! Taken from an unusual position on Templeshannon Quay. It was taken with skill by a keen eye. I for one enjoy the photographs, well done.

I'd agree that the town has problems. Doesn't every town?
    But as formed by nature, this valley and man built town, we are quite lucky. The view of Enniscorthy Quays, the Prom, the view from Vinegar Hill, view of St.Senan from the C.B.S etc.

We are spoilt by numerous really beautiful views. Enniscorthy is positioned in a beautiful setting.

Its still a beautiful photo! Taken from an unusual position on Templeshannon Quay. It was taken with skill by a keen eye. I for one enjoy the photographs, well done.

Wow thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Great shots. Where's the first one taken from?

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Great shots. Where's the first one taken from?

The stair set in the new park at the fairgreen, across from petits.

Nice pics-look great until you actually walk around the town,then it's a real let down unfortunately.Looks like eventually some work to start on the museum,you'd swear the builders were up to their eyes by not starting til now AFTER THE TOURIST SEASON. Not their fault I know but how long do tenders have to sit on a desk before being awarded and work commencing?

.Looks like eventually some work to start on the museum,you'd swear the builders were up to their eyes by not starting til now AFTER THE TOURIST SEASON.

Seems most of today was spent putting up signs along the top of the Museme railings. They didn't cover the whole railing, just the top two feet.
    Now the Builder has a prime advertising hoarding to match his signs on Petits!!!:D

Back to the Snags unfortunatley -

Was driving up the Shannon this morning and the road surface up around the top of the 21 Steps was literally crumbling away at the edges in places.

If my memory serves me correctly this part of the road was re-surfaced fairly recently... within the past few years.

But.. here's a couple of nice picture from my photo album to cheer everyone up:

2807027472_64436a7a32_z.jpg?zz=1

2212399792_681164b035_z.jpg?zz=1

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Back to the Snags unfortunatley -

Was driving up the Shannon this morning and the road surface up around the top of the 21 Steps was literally crumbling away at the edges in places.

If my memory serves me correctly this part of the road was re-surfaced fairly recently... within the past few years.

But.. here's a couple of nice picture from my photo album to cheer everyone up:

2807027472_64436a7a32_z.jpg?zz=1

2212399792_681164b035_z.jpg?zz=1

Very nice! I stopped there once and had my tripod set up but the hassle I got off this group of travellers wasn't worth it so I just packed up and left.

• Advertisement

These photos are a few years old.

The first was taken from 'The View' (surprised if this the same place you are talking about, rarely anyone up there) and the second from Vinegar Hill.

Already mischievously posted this pic in the Photographic thread but here it is again in the more appropriate thread. What is the mental age of some gob****e who would do this? How many British War Memorials would you find defaced and, indeed, if they were defaced it would hardly be with a scrawl saying 'up the Paras' or 'up the Household Cavalry'. Also, in the unlikely event of a British War Memorial being defaced it would be cleaned up without delay. Enniscorthy 1500 my hole! :mad:

1798003.jpg

What is the mental age of some gob****e who would do this?

Agree 100%, its a disgrace. The Council need to clean it off today!

The teenagers hanging around the monument have no concept of what it represents and simply don't care-you'd be surprised though,the ones that we would expect to be the culprits,ie.the tracksuit and hoodie brigade won't deface monuments in the town.It tends to be mommy and daddies little darlings that are 'misunderstood' are found to be the perpetrators of said grafitti.
    It's a disgrace that a monument to a major historical event in the county can be defaced within yards of the Council Offices and nobody saw who did it-the place is surrounded by camera's ffs!
    I took part in the '98 commemorations and was proud to do so-makes one appreciate the sacrifice that people of the region made.Sadly this is lost on many young people today who live in their own little world and their most common answer is "I dunno".As a teenager I spent many an hour hanging around the monument in the Square but neither myself or my friends felt the need to tag it.You may as well go scrawl on peoples headstones in the graveyard as on a monument to those who died trying to earn freedom,how would the culprits feel if mummy and daddy were landed with a hefty bill for cleaning off their little darling's artwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

The teenagers hanging around the monument have no concept of what it represents and simply don't care-you'd be surprised though,the ones that we would expect to be the culprits,ie.the tracksuit and hoodie brigade won't deface monuments in the town.It tends to be mommy and daddies little darlings that are 'misunderstood' are found to be the perpetrators of said grafitti.
    It's a disgrace that a monument to a major historical event in the county can be defaced within yards of the Council Offices and nobody saw who did it-the place is surrounded by camera's ffs!
    I took part in the '98 commemorations and was proud to do so-makes one appreciate the sacrifice that people of the region made.Sadly this is lost on many young people today who live in their own little world and their most common answer is "I dunno".As a teenager I spent many an hour hanging around the monument in the Square but neither myself or my friends felt the need to tag it.You may as well go scrawl on peoples headstones in the graveyard as on a monument to those who died trying to earn freedom,how would the culprits feel if mummy and daddy were landed with a hefty bill for cleaning off their little darling's artwork.

Wow
    So did I dude. There and the legendary "Hole in the Wall"
    We were given a bad rep for doin so but there was feck all else to do in the town and we just used the spots to hang out.
    We would never have dreamed of defacing the monument.

Could it be we know each other from another life :)

HB

zerks - I blame the schools and parents for not instilling some sense of history and civic pride into the kids. They needn't indoctrinate them, but just give them a sense of pride in their history and town. As for defacing gravestones that already is widespread, and my eventual resting place a few miles from town has suffered many times from people smashing (!) headstones.

zerks - I blame the schools and parents for not instilling some sense of history and civic pride into the kids. They needn't indoctrinate them, but just give them a sense of pride in their history and town. As for defacing gravestones that already is widespread, and my eventual resting place a few miles from town has suffered many times from people smashing (!) headstones.

It's all too true and a sad indictment of how so many kids are educated these days-History in school is geared towards results and points in the Leaving Cert,the same as any other subject.Kids don't see the 'living,real history' around them and as a result no respect is cultivated in them.I heard stories of the graveyard being damaged and as I said earlier it's not the local 'scobies' that do it,instances of such vandalism in other places have been carried out by kids of so-called 'respectable' people-strange the mentality of some kids these days.
    It might sound archaic but bring back a good arse kicking for some of these kids.The element of fear,cause and effect is lacking these day's and God help us with the next generation.(I sound like I'm 100:eek:)
    Get the town cleaned up and make it an object of pride-you want to hang around the place,keep it clean,we all have a part to play.

Good point. I suppose you'd need a rough time of the incident to see if it was caught on camera. Great if it was - id the brain dead clown, find its Parents, oh the shame!
    Then get Parents to pay for cleaning monument and get their photo in the paper!

I sent someone in the council a link to the '98 memorial photo here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/ so it will be interesting to see if there's a response.

• Advertisement

Then get Parents to pay for cleaning monument and get their photo in the paper!
    Then get Parents to pay for cleaning the monument and get their photo in the paper!

Advertisement