Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Cllr Owens likes throwing large figures about. He doesn't seem to realise that throwing money at an empty town does not make sense. The old saying of "fur coat and no knickers" comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Navarre wrote: »
    I listened to what Jackser and Minouge were saying yesterday morning to Alan corcoran.
    Minouge mentioned a major development is in the pipe line for the center of town which could only be the Bomb crater **** filled whole that was Murphy floods. I reckon the owner of the **** Hole and the council have come to an agreement. Alan did ask minouge would there be work for locals on the building of what ever is been built. TBH with minouges roundabout reply we wont hold our breath on that. St Johns hospital and its surrounding clinics and buildings along with the new Gaelscoil is an example of that. Jackser mentioned that the council has spent €1m on enniscorthy to get it to the beautiful stage its at. And he also said that there is up to €100 thousand been spent on the front of shops and properties in Town. Does he not realize that its a waste of money if the shops are empty.

Good to see something happening. In fairness to Minogue, he can not Guarantee local work on these projects as they all have to go to tender. Its the law and its out of his hands. Any project over 50k has to be put out to tender, not just in Ireland but in Europe, meaning that the job might not even be done by an Irish company.

Id say its probably the same with the slabs. The council can not just hand pick their suppliers, that is the old Irish way and look where that got us. A transparent tender is the only fair way.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Navarre, on the jobs thing, I can't really comment on what he said as I haven't heard the interview but I suspect if the council are putting money into floods he was being obscure due to the current public tendering system where public money has to be spent with strict rules applied, which means that all jobs go up on the national e-tendering system which subsequently means that jobs cannot be guaranteed for the locality. Also, he may have been referring to the works at the former polish shop rather than floods. Just a thought.

On Jackser, well, Jackser is... Jackser.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

paulaa wrote: »
    Cllr Owens likes throwing large figures about. He doesn't seem to realise that throwing money at an empty town does not make sense. The old saying of "fur coat and no knickers" comes to mind

Failing to understand how or why they are spending 100k on shops unless it's the painting scheme they had last year,I'm sure it doesn't include any of the bussinesses that owe them over 700k in rate arrears.

TheChevron wrote: »
    Good to see something happening. In fairness to Minogue, he can not Guarantee local work on these projects as they all have to go to tender. Its the law and its out of his hands. Any project over 50k has to be put out to tender, not just in Ireland but in Europe, meaning that the job might not even be done by an Irish company.

Id say its probably the same with the slabs. The council can not just hand pick their suppliers, that is the old Irish way and look where that got us. A transparent tender is the only fair way.

ya got there before me :)

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Failing to understand how or why they are spending 100k on shops unless it's the painting scheme they had last year,I'm sure it doesn't include any of the bussinesses that owe them over 700k in rate arrears.

Looking at the state of some of the premises in town and the adjacent footpaths etc I can't help but wonder if some new regular maintenance law should be introduced for premises and business owners. I know the last thing they want to do is spend money on cleaning up their shops but feck it, surely it's in their interest and the also the interest of the wider area to have their own buildings in top order?

The painting scheme is decent but does it not let business owners become slack knowing that they can just put off regular maintenance until the grant becomes available?

TheChevron wrote: »

It's the council who plan the style and specify the type of paving.

They can pick the type but not the supplier.

Ian7 wrote: »
    They can pick the type but not the supplier.

I wouldn't be very koowledgeable about paving contracts but I think it is normal practice for all suppliers to be specified so that they don't end up with cheapest crap available.

I wouldn't be very koowledgeable about paving contracts but I think it is normal practice for all suppliers to be specified so that they don't end up with cheapest crap available.

No, the supplier can be whoever as long as they meet the required and specicied criteria and supply the required product, there are a plethora of criteria such as product gaurantees that should by right be met but as far as publicprocurement goes, its more or less illegal to specify and restrict the tender to any one particular supplier. The cheapest supplier with the cheapest product may be selected as long as their product is equal in quality to what is required.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Navarre, on the jobs thing, I can't really comment on what he said as I haven't heard the interview but I suspect if the council are putting money into floods he was being obscure due to the current public tendering system where public money has to be spent with strict rules applied, which means that all jobs go up on the national e-tendering system which subsequently means that jobs cannot be guaranteed for the locality. Also, he may have been referring to the works at the former polish shop rather than floods. Just a thought.

On Jackser, well, Jackser is... Jackser.

We all understand the Public tendering system and that an Enniscorthy building contractor cant be guaranteed the contract.
    When the Rafter bridge and the water scheme went out to tender the town chairman and the council at the time made sure that the contractors Ascon at least employed local labourers.

Some one from Wexford Town sent in a TXT to the show saying that they would love to have Jackser move down to wexford as he is a RIGHT 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roadstone is less than 2 miles from town. Casey of clough is less than 20 miles from town. O'rourkes in castlebridge less than 20 miles away. And kilkennylimestone is in the next county. But we end up with fecking slabs from china. ha

It's cheaper to ship them from China than buy them in Ireland,same with just about everything these days.

Regarding complaints about no work on building projects for locals,if it's a major development we simply don't have anyone local bar Mythens in the county that can handle it.Even when Dunnes was being done by Al Uisce Developments,the work was handed over to Sisk.All the big contractors will have their own men & subbies to do the work.
    Speaking of developments,wasn't the upgrade to the main drainage to have started by now?

We all understand the Public tendering system and that an Enniscorthy building contractor cant be guaranteed the contract.
    When the Rafter bridge and the water scheme went out to tender the town chairman and the council at the time made sure that the contractors Ascon at least employed local labourers.

I'm not sure but I don't think it's that simple. Unless the advert was able to stipulate that the contractor had to be A. operating within a certain radius of the proposed job. But then it would be easy to manipulate the tender process unless there is a minimum allowable radius or B. the awarded contractor had to actually spend time and money in advertising and selecting for the new positions. Maybe this happens but it seems highly uneconomical and time consuming.

Don't get me wrong though, I would be all for it if it were possible.

Some one from Wexford Town sent in a TXT to the show saying that they would love to have Jackser move down to wexford as he is a RIGHT 1.

:D:D

zerks wrote: »
    Speaking of developments,wasn't the upgrade to the main drainage to have started by now?

Is it a new treatment plant facility or just pipe upgrade?

Is it a new treatment plant facility or just pipe upgrade?

Both afaik,they built the original one but it was at capacity almost straight away,nobody accounted for the boom in housing.

PC Repair have a sign up that they are closing today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

PC Repair have a sign up that they are closing today.

If that's the one in the old Dunnes Stores carpark - they are gone this last fortnight.

CASTLE+HILL.jpg
    Work started tonight on renewing the badly broken up road surface at the top of Castle Hill. Things were not going smoothly when this photo was taken at 7.30pm. Photo: DMGP

About time,it was bloody dangerous.

Hope they keep some tar to re-do the job the council did along Bellfield last week.It's shocking.

Article in d'echo about the voluntary paint scheme over in templeshannon. Can only be a good thing I say, hope more people can draw inspiration from it

• Advertisement

Much debate on SE Radio about Rafter Street & the death of trade on it.The pedestrianisation is being blamed but I don't see Wexfords Main St. suffering from it.

There is nothing on that street to attract me personally & I reckon the same goes for many others.
    Sports store,I get it cheaper online.Coffee shops,never liked sitting in them.Bookies,I don't bet.Hardware,only in an emergency.Same for the other shops,nothing in them I want or need.Basically nothing to entice me there.
    The ongoing problem of no anchor store on the street was brought up & this is more of a problem than cars not being allowed.There's a nice big car park literally feet from the street.

Rafter Street was a horrible, dirty, traffic-filled mess before it was pedestrianised and and has now become a horrible, dirty, traffic-less mess. No anchor shop, poor job done on the pedestrianisation - as I have been pointing out since day one - and the rates are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

A quick google of Chinese paving slabs gives interesting results,makes you wonder how the project cost so much seeing as the slabs work out at roughly €5 a square metre.

Hi can you tell me where I can find chinese granite paving for €5 a square meter I need 200 m2 for the front of my house and the best price I can find is €35 m2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

hop2it wrote: »
    Hi can you tell me where I can find chinese granite paving for €5 a square meter I need 200 m2 for the front of my house and the best price I can find is €35 m2

Have you tried China?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Much debate on SE Radio about Rafter Street & the death of trade on it.The pedestrianisation is being blamed but I don't see Wexfords Main St. suffering from it.

There is nothing on that street to attract me personally & I reckon the same goes for many others.
    Sports store,I get it cheaper online.Coffee shops,never liked sitting in them.Bookies,I don't bet.Hardware,only in an emergency.Same for the other shops,nothing in them I want or need.Basically nothing to entice me there.
    The ongoing problem of no anchor store on the street was brought up & this is more of a problem than cars not being allowed.There's a nice big car park literally feet from the street.

The problem with that nice big car park is that you have to walk down through a piss stained alleyway to get to the street from the car park. The biggest problem with Enniscorthy is trying to get around the placeand the biggest probelm with congestion is caused by 2 things (1) the stupidity of putting pedestrian crossings at the roundabouts at the bottom of castle hill and (2) the ignorance of people who just abandon their cars at the bank of ireland atm at the roundabout. Move the pedestrian crossing and put some sort of bollard system to stop people parking at the corner of the Bank of Ireland

You are right though that there is nothing on that street to attract, the only reason i go there is to Rackards for lunch but the problem is the white elephant of the old dunnes stores and until someone is allowed in there the street will continue to die. The pedestrianisation isnt the problem.

the kelt wrote: »
    you have to walk

Possibly Enniscorthy's biggest problem...

Any rickshaw entrepenuers out there?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Possibly Enniscorthy's biggest problem...

Any rickshaw entrepenuers out there?

With the hills we have,not to mention the craters in the roads:eek:

not to mention the craters in the roads:eek:

Rumoured to be visible from space :P

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Rumoured to be visible from space :P

The ones at the Templeshannon side of the Old Bridge are getting that big,Hop2it could nearly drive down into one & emerge in China to pick up the paving slabs.

Seriously though,if anyone from the council is reading this they need to do the same job as the one that was done at the top of Castle Hill,a few shovels of cold tar won't work at the bridge.

• Advertisement

What about the potholes at the top of weafer street? I don't remember them in that location before.

on another topic, am I right in thinking that the council own the building on the corner behind murphy floods and adjacent to dunnes stores? If not, what association do they have with that building?

Seems to me to be an abysmal waste of a superbly located building.

Advertisement