Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Forrest's Bookshop (Ferns) are opening a new shop at 12 Castle Street - opposite Murt Walsh. Due to open circa 22nd April according to their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/FORRESTS-of-FERNS/120004231350977 Good luck to all involved! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was just about to post that JD.Hopefully it lasts longer than some of the other stores on that street did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ian7 wrote: »
    What about the potholes at the top of weafer street? I don't remember them in that location before.

on another topic, am I right in thinking that the council own the building on the corner behind murphy floods and adjacent to dunnes stores? If not, what association do they have with that building?

Seems to me to be an abysmal waste of a superbly located building.

I've seen the CE workers store their gear there so presumably the Council have a spoke in it,I'd imagine a fortune would need to be spent on it before it would be good for anything.

Templeshannon looking good with the new paintjob,all we need now are some of the empty units to be filled to bring some more life to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

kneemos wrote: »
    I've seen the CE workers store their gear there so presumably the Council have a spoke in it,I'd imagine a fortune would need to be spent on it before it would be good for anything.

Ah yeah, t'would need a bit of work to bring it up to scratch alright but it's in a prime location, the footfall along that slip of road is huge and there is great potential. I was involved in drawing up proposals for a cafe in the building where the euro shop is now and in my own opinion, a cafe would have been perfect there. My boss used to talk a good bit about the redevelopment of floods too and an idea he had (not that he was involved in any way or anything, just architectural/planning ideas.) Basically he was suggesting that the front corner of floods be set back further into the building and curved so that people are 'drawn' down towards irish street from the square. During the last few years of the good times, many people saw that business was indeed shifting down toward that area. The council should really be pro-active in their forward planning, especially for an area such as irish street.

I'd love to know more about that building on the corner though too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Is this building on the corner what used to be Donohue's stores ?

Drove across through Coolnahorna from Scarawalsh earlier and water mains works are finished,the contractor has reinstated the road where it was dug up and it's like the M50 compared to the other side which is like something you'd find in Somalia.There were 'workers' out filling holes a couple of weeks ago but on the evidence they must have forgot to use tarmac.
    This road is the main route to one of our most heralded tourist destinations at Monart and it's in bits.Cars were driving on the wrong side of the road on blind bends to avoid the holes.It's a bad reflection on the town and the area that simple maintanence can't be done properly.Perhaps the contractor should have been approached and asked to do the whole road.

On a positive note,work is carrying on apace to provide the town with fibre optic broadband.Spotted new cabinets being installed along the Milehouse.

Pardon the pun but the Town Council have done a U-Turn on the one way system at Irish St.They admitted that going against all the advice they were given was a huge mistake.

The funny thing is that they say it'll take a few months to revert the street to the way it was due to the need for about 2 months of public consultation first,here's a thought: DON'T BOTHER!! Just put it back the way it was asap.

zerks wrote: »
    Pardon the pun but the Town Council have done a U-Turn on the one way system at Irish St.They admitted that going against all the advice they were given was a huge mistake.

The funny thing is that they say it'll take a few months to revert the street to the way it was due to the need for about 2 months of public consultation first,here's a thought: DON'T BOTHER!! Just put it back the way it was asap.

Comical,Laural and Hardy spring to mind.

I'm beginning to wonder why we elect people who don't seem to be capable of making decisions without having to pay a fortune to get "advice" .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

zerks wrote: »

If the council were thinking they would take out a compulsory purchase order on part of Murphys Floods and the old Store on the corner opposite the new Dunnes and that would give them plenty of room for two way traffic onto Irish st. It could open open the Square and the Old Barracks and might survive to remind some of the people sitting on derelict sites to wake up.

I'll ask again. Is that building on the corner mentioned here the old J Donohue's shop and bar ? If so is it still owned by Donohue's ?

What's to be done about the €700,000+ mess that is Rafter Street? I see the bollards back in place now but there's still too many vehicles using it for my liking. Yesterday there were people reversing the full length of it - only a matter of time before somebody gets knocked down. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

€700,000+ mess that is Rafter Street

I stood on it last Saturday morning and took it all in.

What a mess, a total and utter disaster.

Grimy and dirty.

Lumps of tarmac used to replace missing slabs.

Signs warning pedestrians to be careful of cars.

Yep, it's a true disaster, befitting of the manner in which the town is managed.

At least they'll have 400k to waste spend after the plan to buy houses in Parkton fell through.

Perhaps they can spend some of the money on revamping the new seats on the Promenade and the adjacent playgrounds. I took a walk along the Promenade this evening and snapped this gem. How much of the timber has to disappear before the Council do something? Many of the new seats have very crude marker graffiti on them and, of course, the playground is still maggoty. As for the bridge - what can one say.....The best part of the walk is the little used, natural path under the railway bridge leading to the Ross road. Even here the evidence of drinking parties is all too obvious. :(

seat.jpg
    Photo: RMGP

SEAT.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

paulaa wrote: »
    I'll ask again. Is that building on the corner mentioned here the old J Donohue's shop and bar ? If so is it still owned by Donohue's ?

Hi Paulaa
    yes you are right about the building being owned by Donohues

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

hop2it wrote: »
    Hi Paulaa
    yes you are right about the building being owned by Donohues

I heard that is the address where the drinks license is held for Donohoue's. no idea if that's true though.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I stood on it last Saturday morning and took it all in.

What a mess, a total and utter disaster.

Grimy and dirty.

Lumps of tarmac used to replace missing slabs.

Signs warning pedestrians to be careful of cars.

Yep, it's a true disaster, befitting of the manner in which the town is managed.

Saw few of our councillors walking rafter street today pointing and waving and having a talk about the state of it. Shame they don't drag the company who did the shoddy work on it down to sort it.

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    I heard that is the address where the drinks license is held for Donohoue's. no idea if that's true though.

I used to live in Irish street when the shop was open. They sold everything from booze to animal feed. The bar used to be packed out with cattle dealers on a mart day.

I may be wrong but I vaguely remember talk of either Johnny Jumpups (Cant remember the real name :) ) or Murphy Floods getting their licence when the shop closed

• Advertisement

Doors open on TSB building this morning,another charity shop being put in there.We've so many in the town now that it gets a 4 page spread in the local paper.

Measurements being taken on rafter street at the moment. Wonder what they will do this time.

Measurements being taken on rafter street at the moment. Wonder what they will do this time.

Donedeal.:D

I hear they plan to change the direction on the road linking Irish Street with the Market Square again.. Can anyone confirm???

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I hear they plan to change the direction on the road linking Irish Street with the Market Square again.. Can anyone confirm???

That's correct but it will take some months - not that it makes any difference as people use it in both directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Saw few of our councillors walking rafter street today pointing and waving and having a talk about the state of it. Shame they don't drag the company who did the shoddy work on it down to sort it.

county councils are pretty poor at making independent contractors accountable for anything. You only have to look at the amount of planning fees and contributions they let large developers away with which are now subsequently lost as those developers are gone bust and the way the council let these guys walk away and leave housing estates half finished.
    Having said that if you were given the contract to pave Rafter St. for pedestrian foot traffic and the odd delivery lorry and then the council decided to open that street up to all traffic, Car, van and small hgv then you could probably say that the paving and foundation is not suitable for the volume of traffic and that you designed it to the councils brief for a foot traffic only and the excess wear and tear is their problem.
    I drove up the street once and you can hear the paving brick moving.

I think Rafter St was originally designed for traffic hence the pedestrian crossing,how they thought it was going to work is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

How many charity shops does Enniscorthy have now? Maybe it could be marketed as some sort of thrifters/vintage paradise or are they full of complete tatt?

How many charity shops does Enniscorthy have now? Maybe it could be marketed as some sort of thrifters/vintage paradise or are they full of complete tatt?

7 or 8 I think with another to open.

• Advertisement

That's correct but it will take some months - not that it makes any difference as people use it in both directions.

Wonder what happened to the (doomed to fail) plan to save Enniscorthy town centre by promoting more traffic in the Market Square?

Advertisement