Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Baffling how the contractors for Rafter Street can apparently get away scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

kneemos wrote: »
    Baffling how the contractors for Rafter Street can apparently get away scot free.

was thinking the same thing. they may be able to get away with it depending on what kind of specification they were given by the council before the job. they could also blame it on the selection of cheap paving slabs.

It should be looked into though in fairness

zerks wrote: »
    Injury Lawyers 4U are setting up a branch there.

Anybody know who has opened the chipper where the Old Bridge Restaurant used to be in Templeshannon? It was open Saturday night.

not sure, what i do know is that despite the questionable colour selections, templeshannon doens't look too bad now compared to before the paint scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice to see the travellers getting a free pass to park anywhere again,there was mayhem along the Quay yesterday evening as cars,vans & jeeps were literally abandoned on the road as they went to their local.Funny how none were there this morning either,obviously they have their own rules for drink driving too.

there's a gateway on the road just passed davis' mill, just before the former dump. there was rubbish dumped here about four weeks ago. I saw two council workers sweeping that road verge one day about three weeks ago. thinking they would be back to clean up, i thought no more about it. surprise, surprise, the rubbish is still there. will take a pic later

• Advertisement

Ian7 wrote: »
    there's a gateway on the road just passed davis' mill, just before the former dump. there was rubbish dumped here about four weeks ago. I saw two council workers sweeping that road verge one day about three weeks ago. thinking they would be back to clean up, i thought no more about it. surprise, surprise, the rubbish is still there. will take a pic later

Not even the good manners to bag their crap.The amount of rubbish dumped in every available parking spot is mindblowing.

The lads doing the footpath cleaning were probably Fas workers who take part in schemes for tidy towns,believe it or not they aren't allowed to pick up the rubbish unless specifically asked to because "it's not their job".Crazy but true.

The lads doing the footpath cleaning were probably Fas workers who take part in schemes for tidy towns,believe it or not they aren't allowed to pick up the rubbish unless specifically asked to because "it's not their job".Crazy but true.

I wont name names, but I don't think they were FAS workers.

I wont name names, but I dont FAS workers.

If it's private property they probably have rules to follow.

If it's private property they probably have rules to follow.

Quite possible. Ill try post the pic and see what you think. Also, talking about this to somebody else who regularly walks along the river there, he said the bottom of that field is literally a dump. ironic, really.

• Advertisement

Hope this works.

How do you get the image to display automatically?

Hope this works.

How do you get the image to display automatically?

Here you go.

254705.JPG

Notice the slippery road signs are still at Scarawelch(presumably rented)maybe whoever's responsible will repair the actual roundabout next time round.

Saw in the Echo that shop owners on Rafter St. want the trees removed to allow more cars park there & hopefully increase trade.The thing that struck me was that the Oaks were imported "at high cost" from Italy,surely Ireland has plenty of oak trees available?

Regarding parking,most of Main St. in Wexford is car free & it's thriving,It's not the lack of parking,it's the quality of stores that's the problem.Simply no 'names' to draw shoppers to Enniscorthy.

Saw in the Echo that shop owners on Rafter St. want the trees removed to allow more cars park there & hopefully increase trade.The thing that struck me was that the Oaks were imported "at high cost" from Italy,surely Ireland has plenty of oak trees available?

Regarding parking,most of Main St. in Wexford is car free & it's thriving,It's not the lack of parking,it's the quality of stores that's the problem.Simply no 'names' to draw shoppers to Enniscorthy.

Thought it was closed to traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Haven't seen the Echo yet but I suspect that reintroducing traffic to the street wouldn't be popular with the cafe owners. There's hardly a decent shop left on the street now except Stafford's butchers, so why would shoppers flock to it in any event? :confused:

Where do pedestrians go if there's parking on the side and traffic up the middle?

Where do pedestrians go if there's parking on the side and traffic up the middle?

Into the shops,it's part of a cunning plan.Make the street unsafe for pedestrians so they go into shops for safety reasons.;)

Strangely enough in some UK towns they've done away with footpaths & pedestrian crossings and it's actually cut down on accidents as traffic automatically slows due to drivers becoming more aware of sharing their space with pedestrians.It can be compared to using a car park where traffic & those on foot mix with relative safety as everybody pays more attention.

It was a pleasure driving up by St.Aidans school yesterday & not being trapped in gridlock.Two traffic wardens patrolling there seemed to help.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It was a pleasure driving up by St.Aidans school yesterday & not being trapped in gridlock.Two traffic wardens patrolling there seemed to help.

You haven't tried to turn right and drive up the 1 way street between the St Aidans villas and the Fairgreen at school drop off and pick up times. That street now needs a 3rd traffic warden to patrol it. The junction at the bottom of it is just a knock down accident waiting to happen. If only parents would park in the Pettits car park that is free at school times and walk to the school or pedestrian crossing to collect their kids. I even see parents parking in the disabled spaces in front of the presentation center.

• Advertisement

Stopped off in Wexford after a trip to the beach today,the retail park at Clonard was packed,how depressing it was to drive through the ghost town of Enniscorthy afterwards.

The thread about Wexford Shops while great for Wexford posters makes depressing reading for us Enniscorthy natives as it shows the stark difference in the two towns.One is blossoming while one is dying.

glad to see the rubbish I posted about earlier cleared up over the weekend :) ive yet to see what the bottom of that field looks like though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Stopped off in Wexford after a trip to the beach today,the retail park at Clonard was packed,how depressing it was to drive through the ghost town of Enniscorthy afterwards.

The thread about Wexford Shops while great for Wexford posters makes depressing reading for us Enniscorthy natives as it shows the stark difference in the two towns.One is blossoming while one is dying.

Trust me, Wexford Town itself is not doing too well. The out of town retail areas is where it is busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Perhaps they can spend some of the money on revamping the new seats on the Promenade and the adjacent playgrounds. I took a walk along the Promenade this evening and snapped this gem. How much of the timber has to disappear before the Council do something? Many of the new seats have very crude marker graffiti on them and, of course, the playground is still maggoty. As for the bridge - what can one say.....The best part of the walk is the little used, natural path under the railway bridge leading to the Ross road. Even here the evidence of drinking parties is all too obvious. :(

seat.jpg
    Photo: RMGP

SEAT.PNG

Against my better 'judgement' I was persuaded by my eldest to take another walk along the Promenade last night - this time beyond the ridiculous new bridge. Needless to say that the seat pictured above was still in its broken state and I checked with Harte Cast this morning - they can supply a replacement for the vandalised timber.

The playground is still in a disgusting state - is it really beyond the Council or the Riverside Park Hotel to do something about it?

Beyond the bridge is dog poo to beat the band and even worse, I would say that at least 75% of the newly planted trees have had their tops snapped off! Such is the mental state of some of the youths in this town - do they teach them nothing about the environment at school? Anyway, it's highly questionable whether planting the trees was a needed at all, as by fencing off certain areas nature will do a better job and will be less likely to provide a target for the yobs.

New Pizza Parlour opening opposite Treacy's Hotel,spotted stock being delivered today.

That's the good news,as I drove on down the quay & glanced at the river I spotted some people trying to enjoy the weather while sitting behind them were the usual crew of "Al Fresco Drinkers",a great advertisment for the town.The "ah sure,they aren't doing any harm" argument is wearing a little thin.The river is a great natural amenity and it's banks shouldn't be used as a spot for drinking for the local wino's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I was struck this very week by the same thought. I walked through the crowds along the main pedestrian thoroughfare in Wexford town and marveled at the variety and density of small shops including that rare commodity now, four bookshops all within a few hundred metres. Most unusual these days.

Earlier in the day, I wandered up the half empty Rafter Street in Enniscorthy. How can it be so? Enniscorthy was once a busy thriving provincial town with a substantial rural hinterland. The main thing that Enniscorthy has going for it, I've always thought is the hilly nature - the towns inhabitants must be fierce fit, assuming they walk! But the hilly nature does open up many prospects and views that are very fine and more should be made of it. What effect would a bypass make - could be the making or breaking of the town? Are there too many large stores sucking the commercial life out of the centre?

Is the 1798 centre still around? Thinking of doing Vinegar Hill and and the 1798 centre tomorrow.

Any other ideas for similar type events that can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

> Enniscorthy thread....?

http://www.1798centre.ie/

GIYF!

I know the link the website.

However, it doesn't say where the place is or if its still open! A worse website I haven't come across and hence the thread.

Not limiting activities to Enniscorthy, just looking to do something that isn't knock around Kilmore, Rosslare or the Wexford town.

• Advertisement

Is the 1798 centre still around? Thinking of doing Vinegar Hill and and the 1798 centre tomorrow.

Any other ideas for similar type events that can be done?

It's very much open and just been renovated.The Castle Museum is also open.Not sure about weekend opening times but the Castle is definitely open after midday.

Advertisement