Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is the 1798 centre still around? Thinking of doing Vinegar Hill and and the 1798 centre tomorrow.

Any other ideas for similar type events that can be done?

Mt Leinster might be worth a day out if the weather is clear,you can drive up halfway and walk the rest if it sounds appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Typical drive through the town yesterday afternoon,was in a hurry but thanks to the stupid one way system at Irish St. every car in town was gridlocked from the Square all the way to the Quays.
    As usual there was the lack of pedestrians/shoppers,a sorry sight on a bank holiday Saturday.Obviously everybody had the idea of heading elsewhere to spend their few bob.

Here's a great idea for the town:
    A Spanish town has hit back at dog owners who let their animals foul in public and fail to remove the mess.

Brunete, a small town 20 miles west of Madrid, employs 20 volunteers who patrol the streets on the lookout for dog owners who fail to clean up after their pets.

The volunteers ascertain the name of dog after striking up conversation with the owner before parcelling up the mess and sending it back to them.

A council spokesman said: 'With the name of the dog and the breed it was possible to identify the owner from the registered pet database held in the town hall,' reports the Telegraph.

The volunteers scoop up the mess and package it in a box with town hall branding.

It is marked 'Lost Property' and delivered by courier to the pet owners' address.

The campaign has been a huge success with a 70 per cent drop in the amount of dog mess found on the streets.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336369/Spanish-town-fights-dog-poo-parcelling-POSTING-owner.html#ixzz2VN2SVOIT

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

zerks wrote: »

Imagine opening that while eating you're cornflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

How many dog owners have their dog's registered. Very few I'd say. If they can't be bothered picking up their shíte, they are not going to bother registering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Enniscorthy Street Rhythms Fest parade is on this Friday, June 7th. Delays may be expected from 7.30pm to 8.00pm along the N11. During the opening ceremony, the Market Square will be closed between 8.00pm and 10.30pm and also Saturday from 8.30pm to 11.00pm for an Open air movie

Original SMS Alert
    N11 delays and closing of Market Square relate to Enniscorthy Street Rhythms Festival.
    Come along this weekend

So Wexford Co Co are now sending out text messages promoting Enniscorthy .

Got the one above today :)

So Wexford Co Co are now sending out text messages promoting Enniscorthy .

Got the one above today :)

They have a text alert service that you sign up for otherwise I can't see how they would get the numbers.

Spotted signs up along the road from Milehouse to The Still today,"Camera's in operation"

Seems to be having an effect as that was a blackspot for dumping rubbish.Pity the assholes that are doing it have decided to dump it along the road to Coolnahorna/Scarawalsh instead,was greeted by a load of soiled nappy's dumped along one section today.

feck sake like, how long do these issues have to drag on for? Putting cameras up doesn't address the issue. there needs to be a bin licence or register or something introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Ian7 wrote: »
    feck sake like, how long do these issues have to drag on for? Putting cameras up doesn't address the issue. there needs to be a bin licence or register or something introduced.

How will a bin licence or register help?
    Why should law abiding individuals with bins be inconvenienced?

IMO catch the dumpers and prosecute them, increase fines and put their names in the local papers and maybe in the window of the Council Offices in Wexford, Gorey, New Ross & Enniscorthy.
    Maybe a caught "Dumpers" Facebook page! Name & shame.

Dumpers need to know its unacceptable behaviour and they will be caught and punished severely.

I agree with both of the above posts.It's very easy to see who has bins & who hasn't.All the waste operators have databases of customers so it's a matter then of asking those who aren't on any database where they dispose of their rubbish.
    Name & shame those who dump illegally along with €1000 minimum fine.A quick spin along certain roads on bin day can be very revealing.The same households never seem to have bins left out-where do they put their rubbish?

inconvenienced? ah here, it wouldn't be that much of an inconvienience if it was administered through the rental of the actual bins or if the fee was covered under the property tax. look, naming and shaming won't stop illegal dumping. it's not like dog fowling or anything. people will go out of their way to not get caught. I'd put up with signing up for a feckin licence quicker than waitin on the council everytime a skip load of rubbish is dumped on our scenic roads and lanes. illegal dumping appears to be at its highest in years and getting worse. in the apartment block where I work (owned by a certain mr. white), none of the other residents have bins and the letting agents dont seem to care plus theres a high turnover in residents meaning that multiple names can appear at one address. I have no idea where they dispose of their rubbish and there's not a dicky bird to be done about it. feel free to set up a naming and shaming site but I can assure you that you'll only be touching the tip of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Ian7 wrote: »
    inconvenienced? ah here,

Yep, inconvenience. I pay for a bin so why is the onus on Me to do more.
    How come the Dumper gets away with it while I'm filling out forms, tv license, bins, water, septic tank, property tax etc. I'm fed up with all the paper work! I'm paying enough as it is.

Secrete filming at known dumping spots to catch Dumpers in the act, on spot fine, name & picture in paper!

Dumping is anti-social, people need to be shamed - it worked for drink-driving.

It the Council was serious about resolving the issue, they could - just check Waste company databases, check where Landlords tenants are dumping their waste, as all rental property is taxed by the Council for years, so they are fully aware of all rental property. Hire Private Investigators etc.

"while I'm filling out forms, tv license, bins, water, septic tank, property tax etc. I'm fed up with all the paper work! I'm paying enough as it is."

- that's why I said it should be covered under the property tax or covered in the bin rental.

"Secrete filming at known dumping spots to catch Dumpers in the act, on spot fine, name & picture in paper!
    Dumping is anti-social, people need to be shamed - it worked for drink-driving."

- they film people dumping already but this doesn't seem to be working and wouldn't be economical for small scale irrelgular dumpers and the same goes for hiring private investigators, they would have to draw money from somewhere to pay these people.

"check where Landlords tenants are dumping their waste, as all rental property is taxed by the Council for years, so they are fully aware of all rental property. Hire Private Investigators"

- the landlords can simply say they bring all tenants rubbish to the dump. as for receipts, I could be wrong but I dont think they are legally obliged to retain receipts.

Did anybody head to the Street Rythms festival over the weekend or do people see it as a bit pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Pretty good if you have kids. The square was buzzing and there was generally a good buzz about the town. I personally couldn't stay in the square for more than 5 mins because of one incredibly annoying DJ entertainer man who shall not be named.

People bemoan the lack of stuff in the town so to call this pointless is a bit harsh. It seems to be getting a small bit better each year.

The weather helped a lot also i'd say. I hope we get a weekend like that for the Strawberry Fest Fair Festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

If I ever hear 'now Boys and Girls' blared out over a PA system again I won't be responsible for my actions. That said, I managed 6 rugby matches on TV over the weekend and thus was able to avoid most of the noise. Rackards and the Antique have good sound proofing - that, and alcohol, deadened the pain. There didn't seem to be any more drunkeness than usual but I may have missed it. I even noted a solitary gardai on the beat (?) on Saturday - is this a record.

On a more depressing note, the new pavement on Church Street is well on its way to resembling that on Rafter Street - more than 20 pieces of chewing gum and tar evident from a cursory inspection this morning.

Regarding the surface of Church St. I was walking along Sth. Main St. in Wexford & it's as bad.Surely the council can have it powerhosed regularly-they have the equipment.

@ TheChevron: The forecast is good for the Strawberry Fair/Fest. Having attended last years Rythms festival,I wasn't pushed on going this year,especially to have to listen to said "entertainer".

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

hey lads, can some one recommend a good broadband in Enniscorthy? at least 8mb the download with no limit cap, thanx

• Advertisement

lisij wrote: »
    hey lads, can some one recommend a good broadband in Enniscorthy? at least 8mb the download with no limit cap, thanx

Vodafone are the cheapest and fibre is on the way very soon.I have Vodafone at Home which currently has 165gb limit but will be upgraded to fibre shortly which now has a fair usage policy.Currently I average between 8 to 10mb.This will be 50mb when I migrate to fibre (meant to ring them today actually)

Check out the broadband forum for more info on fibre rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Vodafone are the cheapest and fibre is on the way very soon.I have Vodafone at Home which currently has 165gb limit but will be upgraded to fibre shortly which now has a fair usage policy.Currently I average between 8 to 10mb.This will be 50mb when I migrate to fibre (meant to ring them today actually)

Check out the broadband forum for more info on fibre rollout.

thnx for ur reply, do you know any approx dates? cause eircom offering me a 10e off my bill IF i sign a year contract with them, so i wondering, shall i go for it or wait for fibre.. by the way, what is your monthly bill with vodafone, if i may ask?

lisij wrote: »
    thnx for ur reply, do you know any approx dates? cause eircom offering me a 10e off my bill IF i sign a year contract with them, so i wondering, shall i go for it or wait for fibre.. by the way, what is your monthly bill with vodafone, if i may ask?

At the minute it's €35 a month for BB and offpeak calls.AFAIK I'll actually be paying less than that for fibre.

The fibre is to go live within the next week or two,at least that's what VF told me.

The Scarawalshe roundabout has finally got a resurface.

Just watching the fire brigade trying to extinguish a fire on the Turret Rocks,they're having their work cut out,seems to be getting out of hand a bit.

De ja vue on the fire.

Spotted a 'premises to rent' ad in one of the estate agent's windows,it's the Old Dunnes,there's probably some stupid stipulation built into the rental agreement.

Clokes are moving their music shop into their electrical store,hopefully it won't leave another empty unit in the town.

Notice the old ESB office is getting a renovation,hopefully not a charity shop we must have them all at this stage.

I mentioned the state of the road at the Old Bridge and lo & behold it's made the local papers as another vehicle shed it's load due to the poor road.That's the 3rd time in recent history,will it take a fatality to have it fixed (properly).

• Advertisement

R I P Councillor Pat Coady,despite our thoughts of the councillors in this thread he was one of the decent ones and a nice guy all round.Condolences to his family.

Advertisement