Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Welcome to Greenville / The Moyne

9345046716_c499be1616_z.jpg

Landscaping ETC style, botched and neglected, although it has recieved it's annual tidy up since this photo was taken. Question still begs to be asked though... why ever bother just randomly digging it up and planting a few odd bits and pieces? The old man used to take care of this plot until this disaster came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Welcome to Greenville / The Moyne

9345046716_c499be1616_z.jpg

Landscaping ETC style, botched and neglected, although it has recieved it's annual tidy up since this photo was taken. Question still begs to be asked though... why ever bother just randomly digging it up and planting a few odd bits and pieces? The old man used to take care of this plot until this disaster came about.

It often seems to be the case with these plots that if some of the locals don't maintain it it turns into a wilderness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That's nothing, what about the appalling state of the new pavements in the town centre? €800k+ (including Rafter Street) and what's the result. Who will be held responsible? Doesn't matter I suppose, as the Council will just gouge the ratepayers even more.

gum+005.JPG

Above the pavement between Dunnes Stores and the Market Square - beyond description. :mad:

More here: http://countywexford.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It wouldn't kill somebody to powerhose the street once a week,it's akin to buying a white carpet and allowing your dogs to run around the garden then roll on it.

The former Vinegar Hill Pottery shop on Weafer Street is 'apparently' to shortly reopen as a barber's shop - badly needed.

I was up at Pettitt's this morning and popped over to view another of my favourite bugbears - the public seating. My pics don't do justice to how bad they are - I wouldn't sit on them. They've been like this for several years now but I'm sure that the Council couldn't afford a pot of paint or varnish. In my experience public seating needs to be refurbished annually but what would I know.

INTERMISSION+005.JPG

INTERMISSION+003.JPG

On the subject of dogs, I was out for an early (8.30am) morning stroll on Sunday and was passed by two fine looking, identical brown Setter type dogs
    out for a run by themselves - not a human in sight! They obviously were used to it as they seemed to know exactly where they were going. The had collars, and tags, and the next time I see them their picture and details will appear here. Quite apart from their toilet arrangements, what if they attack somebody or cause a traffic accident or, indeed, are injured themselves? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What happened the barber shop on Slaney Street the place is kitted out and ready to go.

kneemos wrote: »
    What happened the barber shop on Slaney Street the place is kitted out and ready to go.

Still 'To Let' when I passed it this evening.

Sure won't all these problems with maintenance of the town be solved when the council get money from the property tax?.............Oh wait,there'll be no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Great to see that the resident geese on the Slaney (of which there used to be 5, maybe 6) have increased their numbers with the addition of 3 new juveniles joined here by a couple of Chinese Geese (aka Swan Geese).

9364918769_50281875ac_o.jpg

I was told that a good few years back that some of their eggs had been destroyed by thugs so I am glad to see that they have a few new arrivals.

When is the bloody "consultation period" for putting Irish St. back to the way it was? As usual got stuck in gridlock in the middle of town yesterday morning-almost zero shoppers in The Square but cars were bumper to bumper.Dunnes was busy so many of those cars had to do a loop just to get to the store.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    When is the bloody "consultation period" for putting Irish St. back to the way it was? As usual got stuck in gridlock in the middle of town yesterday morning-almost zero shoppers in The Square but cars were bumper to bumper.Dunnes was busy so many of those cars had to do a loop just to get to the store.

They have to wait for a while so it doesn't look completely farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Well done to all who took part in the '98 Re-enactment.Managed to get a brilliant vantage point (among the redcoats...oops)

Hopefully year on year this gets bigger and better.Something the town can be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Came across this poster remembering the late Paddy Murphy, a native of Enniscorthy and supporting his passion and the promotion of boxing (the art of pugilism). I think it may interest some...

The Old Bridge Restaraunt has reopened.Hopefully we see a few more places in Templeshannon open up.

The Old Bridge Restaraunt has reopened.Hopefully we see a few more places in Templeshannon open up.

Mrs.Hall's Cafe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

More business closed over food safety issues. 2 in Wexford and one in 'scorthy.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/nine-food-businesses-closed-over-public-health-fears-1.1487195
    A further five businesses shut down under European food regulations were: Creedon’s Hotel (main kitchen and rear-yard store room) in Macroom, Cork; Kebab Bites (take-away), Redmond Square, Wexford; Sur La Mer (restaurant), Rosslare Strand, Wexford; Great Stuff Caterers (storage shed and garage of distributors / under appeal), Cork Road, Midleton, Cork; Pizza Palace (restaurant), Temple House, Templeshannon, Enniscorthy, Wexford.
    For a place called The Pizza Palace, the have to be the worse pizza's I have ever tasted.

Investors are being sought for the Enniscorthy by pass apparently,it's the first stage of the process so god knows how long the whole thing takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Was in town yesterday for the Patron and had lunch in the Riverside Park. Like many towns around the country, Enniscorthy is suffering but I just had to say it is really looking well. The cemetery is a credit to everyone involved and the town was looking it's best. Only downside was the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding antics while the service was going on.

photo.JPG

Above: Bega Barber now open in the old Vinegar Hill Pottery shop on Weafer Street. Apparently the operator is in business elsewhere for some years so he may last.

Below: The sun has finally set on "Miu Miu" on Castle Street - formerly of Slaney Street - and the mystery, to me, is how they lasted this long.

photo+(2).JPG

Photos: Daosung.

• Advertisement

photo.JPG

Above: Bega Barber now open in the old Vinegar Hill Pottery shop on Weafer Street. Apparently the operator is in business elsewhere for some years so he may last.

Below: The sun has finally set on "Miu Miu" on Castle Street - formerly of Slaney Street - and the mystery, to me, is how they lasted this long.

photo+(2).JPG

Photos: Daosung.

Fifteen quid for a haircut he'll have to be good to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Only downside was the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding antics while the service was going on.

'Twas ever thus. I remember the last Patron I was at (back in the 80s) and a lad who had clearly been drinking - stripped to the waist and covered in so much blood he looked like a butcher's window - threw himself face down on a grave bawling: "I loves me f***in' Daddy."

Bearhunter wrote: »
    'Twas ever thus. I remember the last Patron I was at (back in the 80s) and a lad who had clearly been drinking - stripped to the waist and covered in so much blood he looked like a butcher's window - threw himself face down on a grave bawling: "I loves me f***in' Daddy."

Seriously considering not going next year,watching some of them trample across peoples graves in the middle of the prayers really annoyed me.

As an aside there's a video of them 'displaying their culture' in Newbridge on youtube and in the Kildare forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Nasty road traffic accident earlier on the N11 between Blackstoops and Scarawalsh. Hope everyone is ok. Traffic diverted so better avoid the area.

There was some kind of walking tour of the town this morning,pity they had to pass by the local wino's on Pigmarket Hill.So much for the by-law on drinking in public in the town.

Saw some test holes have been dug in 'The Asses Field',it's near Mr.Price for those unfamiliar with it.There was talk of retail units going there before,maybe the plan is back in action again?
    I hope the people that dug them realise the place floods with the slightest bit of wet weather,there's natural springs around that area.

Saw some test holes have been dug in 'The Asses Field',it's near Mr.Price for those unfamiliar with it.There was talk of retail units going there before,maybe the plan is back in action again?
    I hope the people that dug them realise the place floods with the slightest bit of wet weather,there's natural springs around that area.

Surely there's a massive surplus of retail units already? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

I am not sure which in the Asses field, but could it have something to do with the Enniscorthy bypass

efc67 wrote: »
    I am not sure which in the Asses field, but could it have something to do with the Enniscorthy bypass

It's the triangular field at the junction of the Oulart/Monageer roads at Mr.Price.

The bypass is a mile and a half further out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement