Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rafter Street's dodgy surface is being fixed,spotted workmen there earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

zerks wrote: »

I think saying that it's being fixed is being overly optimistic! How much is it costing and will it be any better? The insurance claim pavement in Church Street is still waiting for an accident.

Elsewhere, Barnardos have opened an office in the bottom of the old ESB shop on Castle Hill - great to see charity money going to good use. :rolleyes:

In other news, Stamps is closed down again but a little bird tells me that a sound new tenant is at an advanced stage of negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So is that where the skip load of Chinese paving slabs at the bottom of Friary Hill came from?

Out with the 'old' and in with new. Easy to see why the town's ratepayers are being squeezed dry. :rolleyes:

rafter+002.JPG

rafter+004.JPG

Incidentally, I noticed when I was taking my pics that the machines being used on the street are dropping oil about the place - I suppose it will wash in and add to the colour of the paving...

Among my many strange interests are post office boxes and I'm always pleased when I see them properly looked after. However, on a walk up the town this evening I noted that the two boxes on Main Street have been nicely repainted, correct shade of emerald green and all, but the whole effect is ruined when you get close and personal! The collection times, formerly displayed on black and white enamel plates and long since replaced by inferior plastic, perspex covered 'things' are now illegible. The two on Main Street are quite disgusting, mouldy on the inside and the perspex appears burnt by cigarettes (?) - why couldn't they have been replaced when the boxes were repainted. Talk about spoiling the ship for a halfpenny's worth of tar. It may sound like nothing but apart from the poor image it creates of An Post, the boxes are an important item of street furniture and should be looked after as part of the town's heritage. Anybody that still reads my posts care to comment? I will be taking up the matter with the postmaster tomorrow. :(

photo+(1).JPG

photo.JPG

Photos: RMGP.

• Advertisement

That new Barber on Weafer St deserves a visit if you need shearing.
    Seems to know his stuff and at thirteen quid a go is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Anyone notice the low flying helicopter(s) flying around town and the surrounds last night?

Word on the street is that they're scanning for hash growing buildings... something to do with scanners being able to detect heat given from lamps used to grow the plants???

Personally that sounds like a load of cock-a-doodle do to me purely because we're Irish and we don't have expensive equipment... but who knows, could be true.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Anyone notice the low flying helicopter(s) flying around town and the surrounds last night?

Word on the street is that they're scanning for hash growing buildings... something to do with scanners being able to detect heat given from lamps used to grow the plants???

Personally that sounds like a load of cock-a-doodle do to me purely because we're Irish and we don't have expensive equipment... but who knows, could be true.

It was the SeaKing search and rescue helicopter,it was heading in the direction of Waterford just after 10pm.Nothing to do with hash or anything else.

LOL... too funny the way rumours spread (my post included).

The only thing I will say is that it seemed to be hanging around the Enniscorthy area for at least 30-40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

jpb1974 wrote: »

Personally that sounds like a load of cock-a-doodle do to me purely .

Any infared camera will detect heat caused by artifical lighting needed by the plants. So a simple fly by using a infared camera is easy to detect hot attics or sheds. I wonder would a handheld infared camera, circa €1500 detect hot spots in town, if used from Vinegar Hill?:confused:

Having said that the Rescue copter was flying low but did fly in the direction of Waterford, back to its base.

• Advertisement

Moral of the story... super insulate your hash plant growing premises?

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen the Seaking hovering over the town.
    Whatever the reason.

Good news that St.Senans is still being used for admin and day therapy/activities and hasn't been left completely idle.

On the bad side I heard the travellers are trying to help themselves to anything metal in the place,even the lead from the roof.

Flags of nations being erected on the bridge for some reason.
    Are we expecting visitors?

kneemos wrote: »

Aren't the Troika expected in the country this month?

Maybe they are going to see how amazing the place is and how austerity is working in the town.:rolleyes::pac:

Good news that St.Senans is still being used for admin and day therapy/activities and hasn't been left completely idle.

On the bad side I heard the travellers are trying to help themselves to anything metal in the place,even the lead from the roof.

It's their right to live their ethnic lifestyle.

New Polish (?) shop opening in the old Whyte's Music premises on Rafter Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

kneemos wrote: »

Council of International Investigators conference in the Riverside next week.

Flags with their logo are up around the town too.

New Polish (?) shop opening in the old Whyte's Music premises on Rafter Street.

Stocked with clothes I noticed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Enniscothy Xtra Vision will also become one of the new HMV stores.

• Advertisement

Very loud (!) protest outside the Castle tonight - ongoing - the 'won't pay, can't pay' crowd. Brendan Howlin and assorted other freeloaders at a function in the Castle for the Council of International Investigators. Always cheers me up no end to see the useless politicians get a rollicking. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Maybe someone will record it & post it on Youtube / Facebook :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Brendan Howlin and assorted other freeloaders at a function in the Castle for the Council of International Investigators

WTF?

klong wrote: »
    Council of International Investigators conference in the Riverside next week.

Flags with their logo are up around the town too.
    Very loud (!) protest outside the Castle tonight - ongoing - the 'won't pay, can't pay' crowd. Brendan Howlin and assorted other freeloaders at a function in the Castle for the Council of International Investigators. Always cheers me up no end to see the useless politicians get a rollicking. :D

He he, I thought yis were taking the p***

http://www.cii2.org/council-of-international-investigators---annual-general-meeting

Where's the best spot for a (decent) breakfast roll in Enniscorthy lads and lassies, somewhere with decent parking outside

Haven't had one in years but I think the Bus Stop Shop on the quay has decent ones.

Haven't had one in years but I think the Bus Stop Shop on the quay has decent ones.

And be sure to park in the bus loading bay like everybody else. :D

And be sure to park in the bus loading bay like everybody else. :D

One of my pet hates,the council should have a tow truck there when the bus is about to pull in,any cars left there get towed and slapped with a €100 release fee.

Love when the bus drivers pull up along side and purposely block them all in.

The absolute laziness of some people... I've often seen parking spaces up a long past the Chinese towards Kehoe's pub but they prefer to park in the bus stop for fear of having to walk 40 yards.

• Advertisement

Callllmmmmmmm, I'm an honest road user, I'll park on the double yellows up a bit instead ! :D:D

Up on the path too !

Advertisement