Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

On seconds thoughts, if you can't get into the bus bay there's always the double yellows at the roundabout outside the Credit Union. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Up on the path too !

Strictly outside St. Senan's Primary school only... all 4 wheels on the footpath and no room for pedestrians, otherwise you might get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

On seconds thoughts, if you can't get into the bus bay there's always the double yellows at the roundabout outside the Credit Union. :D

If you need to use an ATM just abandon the car outside the BOI,the nearer to the pedestrian crossing the better just to make sure nobody can get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

What you guys in Enniscorthy needs is a traffic warden that was ex-cop .............That would put manners on ye all :)

Thread in After Hours about Fingal CC cutting down 1000 trees,seems like a resident of an estate near the Rugby Club here got a similar idea as "the trees were dropping leaves in the garden".Other residents are unhappy but afaik nobody reported him.

Selfish bollix imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Maybe it's my imagination but there seems to a free for all generally around the countryside regards tree felling in the last few years.
    Maybe it's the rising fuel costs but it's a shame to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

kneemos wrote: »
    Maybe it's my imagination but there seems to a free for all generally around the countryside regards tree felling in the last few years.
    Maybe it's the rising fuel costs but it's a shame to see.

Of course its rising fuel costs .............as there has been a carbon tax on all types of fuel except wood products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

What you guys in Enniscorthy needs is a traffic warden that was ex-cop .............That would put manners on ye all :)

Turned out well for that particular guy in New Ross

The wall at the top of Castle Hill is dismantled and the steps are being narrowed,don't know exactly how long they've been there but it's a shame to see it happening,I know the street is narrow there but any competent driver can handle it.
    Perhaps Judgement Day can shed some light on what's happened.

zerks wrote: »
    The wall at the top of Castle Hill is dismantled and the steps are being narrowed,don't know exactly how long they've been there but it's a shame to see it happening,I know the street is narrow there but any competent driver can handle it.

Thought the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

More council vandalism. If someone can't negotiate that street they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

I noticed it too but fail to understand why they appear to be narrowing the steps. Still no sign of any repairs to the new path on Church Street and. presumably, we are waiting for a serious downpour to wash down the revamped surface on Rafter Street.

During one trip down town today I was nearly run over on the crossing at the Credit Union and on the way back at the crossing by the Post Office. I'm not doddery, blind or infirm thankfully and I have my children trained to treat the crossings the same as they would when crossing any other unmarked stretch of road.

On a another trip this morning, to Templeshannon, I noted that someone has boarded up the smashed up house on the river bank behind the old Farrell's chemist shop, but now the village idiots have started breaking the windows in the empty former chemist shop. :rolleyes: Farther on down the Shannon and Mrs.Hall's old cafe is half open and, as usual, no customers. Elsewhere, broken glass and dog ****e everywhere. The new frontage on TK cabs looks well but some arsehole has already smashed a window in the door. Walking on towards the almost abandoned station and the rubbish and broken glass all add to the ambience of the town. I almost forgot, all the plaster falling off the Slaney Medical Centre also ........

The banners for the International Investigators Conference still adorn the new bridge despite it having ended on the 21st September. The crude graffiti on the south east corner of the bridge still hasn't been tackled.....I really despair of the town and when I leave in a couple of years time I won't be back until I return to take up permanent residence at Clonmore - I'll be past caring by then. :D

It certainly looks a lot better from a traffic point of view,but I don't remember there being any major pile ups on the corner.
    Looks as if they have solved a problem that didn't exist by demolishing an historical part of the town,albeit steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Looks as if they have solved a problem that didn't exist by demolishing an historical part of the town,albeit steps.

Its a pity to see the steps cut, they were there for decades, probably as old as Castle hill. Another piece of history gone!:(

From reading the local papers (and I may well be incorrect in my assumptions) the steps are being trimmed back and a small footpath is being put along there

klong wrote: »
    From reading the local papers (and I may well be incorrect in my assumptions) the steps are being trimmed back and a small footpath is being put along there

Not sure I see the point of a footpath.

Could be making it wheelchair accessible I suppose.

Could be making it wheelchair accessible I suppose.

I'd hardly call Castle Hill wheelchair accessible.

It's probably being done due to the amount of people that try to cross the road there or walk on the road to avoid using the steps.

I'd hardly call Castle Hill wheelchair accessible.

It's probably being done due to the amount of people that try to cross the road there or walk on the road to avoid using the steps.

Buggy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are there any "homemade" burger joints in Enniscorthy, say like GBK or Joburger or thecounterburger ???

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are there any "homemade" burger joints in Enniscorthy, say like GBK or Joburger or thecounterburger ???

Dario's home of the 'snail' burger - opposite the cathedral?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

A quick phone call to the Town council explains what they are doing.
    The Steps are been trimmed back about 2ft to accommodate elderly people coming from the post office and heading up town. The Material been removed will either be put back less 2ft or be used some where else. The Steps are preserved as they date way back into the 17 hundreds But the council can do this as its called a safety concern/ issue to the public.

Navarre wrote: »
    A quick phone call to the Town council explains what they are doing.
    The Steps are been trimmed back about 2ft to accommodate elderly people coming from the post office and heading up town. The Material been removed will either be put back less 2ft or be used some where else. The Steps are preserved as they date way back into the 17 hundreds But the council can do this as its called a safety concern/ issue to the public.

No such thing as health and safety 200 year ago eh.

How did elderly people manage in the 1700's? The steps have been in situ since then until somebody decided it was a good idea to take a consaw to them.You can bet if a member of the public tried similar with one of the listed buildings around town they'd soon find themselves in court.

Anyhow.elderly people just seem to appear in the post office or bank,we never seem to see them arriving or leaving.

How did elderly people manage in the 1700's? The steps have been in situ since then until somebody decided it was a good idea to take a consaw to them.You can bet if a member of the public tried similar with one of the listed buildings around town they'd soon find themselves in court.

Anyhow.elderly people just seem to appear in the post office or bank,we never seem to see them arriving or leaving.

There wasn't any elderly people in the 1700's, or rather there was but they were about 45 years old when they died :p !!

It's switch around time of year again for Irish St.it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

It's switch around time of year again for Irish St.it seems.

Yeah, it goes with the clocks.

How did elderly people manage in the 1700's?

Drag lifts taken from the local ski slope. Obviously. :pac: :)

Dario's home of the 'snail' burger - opposite the cathedral?

Ones that don't have snails in them please ;) ??

• Advertisement

For those of you who don't read the local comics newspapers here's a link to to the 2013 Tidy Town's Report:

http://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2013/2013%20County%20Wexford%20Enniscorthy%20216.pdf

Enniscorthy gained a staggering 1 point on last year's result!! Once again you would have to question whether the adjudicator who visited Enniscorthy had a white cane. Lots of tosh in the report about the 'ongoing' restoration of the builders' yard courthouse. As I understand it, the building is falling apart on the inside due to lack of any heating whatsoever...

Advertisement