Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

possibly the old TSB building but I can't be certain

You can't be naming names here JD... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

All quiet this morning - fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

All quiet this morning - fingers crossed.

The place where i work was getting the blame for the alarm going off, even text messages to the owner at 1 in the morning to come in and turn the alarm off....Yesterday it went off about 3 times, but i thought it was coming from Rafter Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Some places people wake up to the Dawn Chorus of birds singing but in Enniscorthy it's frequently to the sound of dysfunctional burglar alarms. We go to sleep with the sound of them ringing in our ears too. For the last three days an alarm has been going off hourly in the Market Square. There's no visible light flashing and it's hard to be sure which building it's on - possibly the old TSB building but I can't be certain. I'm pretty sure that there's a byelaw which covers nuisance noise from burglar alarms and after three days is it too much to expect something to be done about it?

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/Environment/Noise1/A-Guide-to-the-Noise-Regulations.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Some places people wake up to the Dawn Chorus of birds singing but in Enniscorthy it's frequently to the sound of dysfunctional burglar alarms. We go to sleep with the sound of them ringing in our ears too. For the last three days an alarm has been going off hourly in the Market Square. There's no visible light flashing and it's hard to be sure which building it's on - possibly the old TSB building but I can't be certain. I'm pretty sure that there's a byelaw which covers nuisance noise from burglar alarms and after three days is it too much to expect something to be done about it?
    The environment section at Wexford Co. Co are the people to talk to but you would need to ascertain exactly which premises it is.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links but it's all quiet....for now.

The council were doing some serious trimming of the oak (?) trees on Rafter Street today - hopefully under advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Donohoes had planned on finishing & opening the service station at Quarrypark but that's ground to a halt due to one resident in Blackstoops who said it would cause hassle with traffic,the objection was upheld so the eyesore that's there remains.More info & the objector named in local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Which paper? That's my old stomping ground.

Just a heads up,loads of people scammed in Enniscorthy due to ATM scams over the past few days.

Another two periods of extensive annoyance (ongoing just stopped as I post) from the usual source on Castle Street. The alarm on "My Sport" (possibly connected to the warren of flats behind the shop) went off for more than hour last night and - not for the first time was attended by the Fire Brigade and Gardai - and again this morning at about 6.00am but was ignored. Somebody should be brought to book for this - who is going to pay for the call-out of the Fire Brigade and why can't residents in the town centre be allowed to have some peace and quiet? :mad:

firetruck+001.JPG

• Advertisement

Anybody hear anything about Via Venitto? I spotted it up for rent on Daft.ie.

Saw a train driving through town today,it said Castle Express.

filename-parliament-st.jpg

Is it on loan from Kilkenny for a while or does anybody know how long it'll be in town for,never saw it advertised anywhere.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I reckon its here because of the train station been 150 years old today. There is also a model train exhibition going on in the 1798 center today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Saw a train driving through town today,it said Castle Express.

filename-parliament-st.jpg

Is it on loan from Kilkenny ufor a while or does anybody know how long it'll be in town for,never saw it advertised anywhere.

Our version of The Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I know this is something JD has mentioned numerous times, but the state of the paving on Rafter Street is a disgrace. Up there today and took it all in... dog sh1t, dog sh1t, fag butts, dirt, oil, litter and more dog sh1t...

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I know this is something JD has mentioned numerous times, but the state of the paving on Rafter Street is a disgrace. Up there today and took it all in... dog sh1t, dog sh1t, fag butts, dirt, oil, litter and more dog sh1t...

Ah sure it adds character to the place:rolleyes:

A fortune spent on what USED to be the main shopping area in the town & they forgot about the main thing,decent flagship stores to supplement the struggling small shops there.It's now merely a toilet for early morning dog walkers.I wouldn't mind but the Town Council have power washers etc. which can be used to clean the surface.As an aside,the tactile pavers outside the Town Council offices are a death trap,I nearly broke my neck over them during the week.

I've said it a thousand times if I said it once,Wexford is blazing a trail despite the recession while here is dying.Was down there Thursday morning & expected it to be quiet,it was packed meanwhile Enniscorthy was like the something from a zombie movie with a few lost souls ambling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Navarre wrote: »
    I reckon its here because of the train station been 150 years old today. There is also a model train exhibition going on in the 1798 center today.

Yeah supposed to be a good few events going on tomorrow.....wasn't really advertised, oh and as a special offer to mark the 150 years of first train from Enniscorthy, it only costs €1.50 if you want to go to Dublin by train tomorrow

efc67 wrote: »
    Yeah supposed to be a good few events going on tomorrow.....wasn't really advertised, oh and as a special offer to mark the 150 years of first train from Enniscorthy, it only costs €1.50 if you want to go to Dublin by train tomorrow

Is the steam train making a run down?
    Looked cool the one time I saw it.

Seems to be major work going on in the Protestant Hall,is there a plan or future purpose in mind for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

kneemos wrote: »
    Seems to be major work going on in the Protestant Hall,is there a plan or future purpose in mind for it?

They actually recieved a grant to do it up as it was I suh poor condition it was actually dangerous to use. Work is expected to be completed within six months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

kneemos wrote: »

It's called the church institute. I presume it will be used as it was before the fire. They held parish things like sales of work, brownies and guides, table tennis etc in it.It was also used by the camera club and other groups during the strawberry fair.
    As well as the grant there has been a lot of fundraising going on to get it up and running again afaik

There was also money from the insurance pay-out and as I understand it the grant covers only a small part of the substantial cost of the rebuilding work.

New surface on the Supervalu carpark,must be in anticipation of the hordes of shoppers invading the town for Xmas:rolleyes:

Some improvements around the town but not before time.

ENNISCORTHY+27+MARCH+2009+015.JPG

Meanwhile (below) the 'new' "Cotton Tree" business continues to prosper and have recently added a takeaway deli operation in the former Bridge Dry Cleaners premises. Looking forward to checking them out shortly.

cotton+tree+004.JPG

According to their Facebook page, South east animal rescue in Carrigabruce, Cherryorchard is to close.
    https://www.facebook.com/southeastanimalrescue
    It's with great regret and after much soul searching and exhausting ALL of our fundraising options that we have to say we just have to CLOSE DOWN OUR CENTRE........ When we opened we thought we would get a sponsor, and knew we couldnt afford the centre without one. No sponsors, we need planning permission, that is going to cost thousands, our electricity is just about to be switched off...... Manpower is a huge problem too.... Thanks to everybody who has helped and supported us but we have no choice

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

paulaa wrote: »
    According to their Facebook page, South east animal rescue in Carrigabruce, Cherryorchard is to close.

TBH I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did in Enniscorthy when the town already had the Enniscorthy SPCA up and running.

Navarre wrote: »
    TBH I am surprised that it lasted as long as it did in Enniscorthy when the town already had the Enniscorthy SPCA up and running.

Yes. It's still a pity with all the hardwork the volunteers , fosterers etc put into the place.

Hate to harp on about the sorry state of retail in Enniscorthy but paid a visit to Gorey this morning & the contrast was stark,shops were busy,crowds on the streets and a general good vibe in the place,Enniscorthy on the other hand is bland & depressing with little choice of shops and a poor selection contained within those that are still actually open.

People claimed that a retail park in Enniscorthy would kill the town centre,too late folks it's dead anyway.Gorey has one and it's not doing one bit of harm to the place.
    Maybe I'm being too optimistic in hoping that the removal of the 'New Bridge' will coincide with a redevelopment of Abbey Square into a shopping centre which will actually revitalise the town,as it stands the faraway hills are actually greener & anyone with a car is heading for them to spend their money.

Saturday morning in Enniscorthy,gridlock with a handful of people wandering around.Same old story in the town,no wonder people avoid the place.

• Advertisement

The St Senans market is open today,tomorrow and Monday.

Advertisement