Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

kneemos wrote: »
    The St Senans market is open today,tomorrow and Monday.

As far as I know it's on tomorrow (Sunday 1st) only, followed by the last one on Saturday 7th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

As far as I know it's on tomorrow (Sunday 1st) only, followed by the last one on Saturday 7th December.

Thought I saw it on the sign outside St Senans.
    Have another look if I'm passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Having shaved the new trees on Rafter Street, the Council have now absolutely butchered the fine Horse Chestnuts above the cathedral - I hope somebody knows what they are doing. The remaining stumps made a sorry sight tonight all lit up with Christmas lights. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Took a good stroll around town this morning,jeez it's depressing.The only crowds around were at the financial institutions lodging their Penny Bank cheques and complaining about the queues.
    I'd hate to be a retailer in the town trying to make a living,I reckon the footfall through the stores wouldn't even cover the lighting costs let alone anything else.The usual dogshit all over the footpaths doesn't help.I spotted SE Radio setting up beside MAD,if the amount of people in the town centre earlier is anything to go by,they'll be entertaining a very small audience.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    Took a good stroll around town this morning,jeez it's depressing.The only crowds around were at the financial institutions lodging their Penny Bank cheques and complaining about the queues.
    I'd hate to be a retailer in the town trying to make a living,I reckon the footfall through the stores wouldn't even cover the lighting costs let alone anything else.The usual dogshit all over the footpaths doesn't help.I spotted SE Radio setting up beside MAD,if the amount of people in the town centre earlier is anything to go by,they'll be entertaining a very small audience.

I was at a persons house today who drove to Gorey to spend €1000 on a TV and a tablet. He got a brochure through his door from a major selling name. He contacted the local shop in Enniscorthy that is selling under that brand name and was told by that shop that they don't have that TV or wont be getting it in. So he drove to Gorey to buy the TV from the shop up there that is selling under the same brand Name.

And while this man was telling me this story its Ironic that Mr Minouge was on the radio in the background this morning asking people to shop local in Enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Navarre wrote: »
    I was at a persons house today who drove to Gorey to spend €1000 on a TV and a tablet. He got a brochure through his door from a major selling name. He contacted the local shop in Enniscorthy that is selling under that brand name and was told by that shop that they don't have that TV or wont be getting it in. So he drove to Gorey to buy the TV from the shop up there that is selling under the same brand Name.

And while this man was telling me this story its Ironic that Mr Minouge was on the radio in the background this morning asking people to shop local in Enniscorthy.

We really are our own worst enemies in this country. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It's a chicken & egg situation for some retailers... what comes first, stock or healthy demand?

Same applies to lots of things... for example, even if they could, would TKMax really want to locate in Enniscorthy? If I was managing their bus ops I'd be concerned about the demand in the town.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    It's a chicken & egg situation for some retailers... what comes first, stock or healthy demand?

Same applies to lots of things... for example, even if they could, would TKMax really want to locate in Enniscorthy? If I was managing their bus ops I'd be concerned about the demand in the town.

The sad thing in Navarre's post is that the store said they wouldn't be getting in said items despite being part of a chain (I can guess which one),so instead of looking after the customer & ordering the stock they allowed the person walk out the door & spend €1000 in another town.Typical of the attitude in Enniscorthy when it comes to retailers.
    Recently I bought a new tv,a tablet and a couple of other bits of tech,not one was bought in Enniscorthy,not out of malice,it's just that I couldn't get all of them in town and even so I got them cheaper just down the road.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The sad thing in Navarre's post is that the store said they wouldn't be getting in said items despite being part of a chain (I can guess which one),so instead of looking after the customer & ordering the stock they allowed the person walk out the door & spend €1000 in another town.Typical of the attitude in Enniscorthy when it comes to retailers.
    road.

Why become part of a selling chain and advertise the said items and then inform a paying customer that they don't have or wont be getting the said Item in stock.

What I have noticed is that once it hits 5pm or 6pm the shops in Enniscorthy close. Can the shop keepers not see that staying open late on Friday and Saturday till 7pm might attract more people who work all week. Surely it would benefit the shops to be open of a Sunday also instead of letting people leave Enniscorthy on a Sunday to travel to Wexford, Gorey, Arklow, Waterford, Kilkenny and Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I havent been around for a while but I was in Ecorthy on Sunday. Had to make chemist run, I thought it being the third Sunday before Christmas there would be plenty open and a few about. Chemist on Duffry was closed so I had to hit McCauleys. 205pm and Rafter St. was dead. Nothing open apart from McCauleys, the Bookshop and Rackards. I now believe that this town will never compete with Wexford and/or Gorey and it will only get worse. The primary businesses will be pubs, chippers, bookies and bet shops and of course our charity shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Half a dozen "protesters"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Instead of hanging around like goms, they could have given the lads a hand to get the job done quicker and save the taxpayer some money.

Not sure what part of Enniscorthy the lead protester comes from, the accent didn't seem to belong ;)

Jeez, serious protest !!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

oldyouth wrote: »
    Instead of hanging around like goms, they could have given the lads a hand to get the job done quicker and save the taxpayer some money.

Not sure what part of Enniscorthy the lead protester comes from, the accent didn't seem to belong ;)

Whatever you think of water meters, it's a bit unfair IMO to be hassling lads trying to do a days work.

Whatever you think of water meters, it's a bit unfair IMO to be hassling lads trying to do a days work.

I'm against water charges but that protest was one of the most pathetic things I've seen,a guy giving out to a lad in a digger breaking concrete while wearing ear defenders.

Speaking of construction,it's nice to see our taxes being wasted resurfacing parts of the N11 that don't need doing meanwhile other roads are falling apart,all because the Council is obliged to spend it's budget by the end of the year or lose out on the difference next year.

Co. Councils get penalised for saving money .............what next ?

Co. Councils get penalised for saving money .............what next ?

It's the same with the HSE etc.

Grand aul sh1thole we live in.

Wonderful.

• Advertisement

At last some life in Enniscorthy on a Sunday,not much but some.Although the wife overheard one member of staff in a shop say to another, "no a sinner in all day & then they all arrive when I want to go home".That's a poor attitude to have about customers,they should be grateful a few people decided to shop in the town instead of doing the usual thing & going elsewhere.
    Anyhow,at least we got a nice feed in MAD.

At last some life in Enniscorthy on a Sunday,not much but some.Although the wife overheard one member of staff in a shop say to another, "no a sinner in all day & then they all arrive when I want to go home".That's a poor attitude to have about customers,they should be grateful a few people decided to shop in the town instead of doing the usual thing & going elsewhere.
    Anyhow,at least we got a nice feed in MAD.

MAD ?????

vicwatson wrote: »
    MAD ?????

Yep,it's made up of the first letters of the owners surnames,Maguire And Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Glad you enjoyed your meal, we had a great day on Sunday, started off slow, then 1pm...bang, steady flow of customers all day

Where is it?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where is it?

Market Square, it the old Shenanigans

efc67 wrote: »
    Market Square, it the old Shenanigans

Website??

Had to make a trip to Wexford this morning to get stuff which as usual can't be got in Enniscorthy,by 11am,Main St. in Wexford was thronged with shoppers,the difference on the return trip through Enniscorthy couldn't be more stark with roughly a dozen people on the so-called main shopping street.
    It's only a week to Xmas Eve and the town is almost deserted,so much for the great plans to get people to shop local,what's the point when the stuff we want can't be got in the town plus the lack of any of the major chains ala Penneys,Boots etc. are missing,like it or not,these are the stores people go to.

Just looked back through this thread & almost a year to the day I posted something similar,12 months on and despite many promises,nothing has changed in the town.It's gotten worse if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

While I appreciate that the majority of people here are only reporting the reality of the situation in Enniscorthy, the negative picture being constantly portrayed would put me off a shopping visit to my neighbouring town

Advertisement