Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The chopper was flying over the town again this morning.

Armed Gardai had a checkpoint in town today plus a lot of activity by the regular Gardai,anybody know what was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

The jewelers in the square was done in the early hours of the morning, but i did hear that they caught them in Gorey.....def looking for someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The old "Five Star Chinese" in Slaney Street is being refurbished - anybody know if it's in anticipation of a new tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The old "Five Star Chinese" in Slaney Street is being refurbished - anybody know if it's in anticipation of a new tenant?

Mr Detective tells me that planning says its been changed from Retail unit to Wholesale Storage Unit .

Not sure if that makes any sense :)

• Advertisement

Seems like The Motor Company is moving to Quarrypark beside Donohoes Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Seems like The Motor Company is moving to Quarrypark beside Donohoes Garage.

Must have expansion plans presumably.

I'm so depressed by the state of the town that when I went to post on my Enniscorthy blog http://countywexford.blogspot.ie/ today, I found that I hadn't posted anything since July last year! However, some good news today with the long overdue refurbishment of the former 'head' shop on Slaney Place.
    ECORTHY+28+1+2014+006.JPG

Three years an eyesore! Elsewhere the decline of the retail sector continues - Saria Boutique on Main Street is the latest victim.
    ECORTHY+28+1+2014+003.JPG

The 'new' paving on Church Street and Rafter Street which is rapidly being stuck together with chewing gum is now suffering from a new ailment - small holes are starting to appear. Pics to follow shortly.

"Stamps" Pub on the Market Square - in its latest incarnation - ticks all the boxes with great Guinness, nice crowd + staff, plenty of rugby and arguably the best pub loos in the county!
    ECORTHY+28+1+2014+004.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

"Stamps" Pub on the Market Square - in its latest incarnation - ticks all the boxes with great Guinness, nice crowd + staff, plenty of rugby and arguably the best pub loos in the county!
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks JD - I remember well the loos outside (back) and up the stairs in Stamps - one bitterly cold winter's night, I mentioned to Billy (RIP) how cold the loos were. He smiled at me and said "Ah shur - if it was warm out there, people would stand around talking - instead of coming back inside to buy more drink!"

On another, separate note - isn't it way beyond time that the bloody Council put a rocket under Dunnes re the old store.

Ultimatum time: Give up the lease within 1 month or we'll close the new store!

(I'm sure they could find a H&S reason if they wanted.)

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Who ever heard of a town being held to ransom by a bloody retailer?

Time for someone to "grow a pair" and come up with "What we CAN do" rather than the usual mewling "We can't do anything."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

On another, separate note - isn't it way beyond time that the bloody Council put a rocket under Dunnes re the old store.

Ultimatum time: Give up the lease within 1 month or we'll close the new store!

(I'm sure they could find a H&S reason if they wanted.)

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Who ever heard of a town being held to ransom by a bloody retailer?

Time for someone to "grow a pair" and come up with "What we CAN do" rather than the usual mewling "We can't do anything."

Dunnes on the Main street in Wexford is virtually the same.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Dunnes on the Main street in Wexford is virtually the same.

Thing with Wexford is that there's so much choice of other shops open that it doesn't affect the street so much.In Enniscorthy it was for years the focal point in the town and that street was thriving,now you can count footfall on one hand at times.Bunclody is busier than Enniscorthy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Still looks dreadful Zerks, maybe the by-pass will help Enniscorthy as per other towns across the country, might be too late coming says you.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Still looks dreadful Zerks, maybe the by-pass will help Enniscorthy as per other towns across the country, might be too late coming says you.

What's the latest on that?or is it back on the shelf again?

kneemos wrote: »
    What's the latest on that?or is it back on the shelf again?

It's still on schedule afaik.

We complained before about the illegal dumping in the towns hinterland & it still continues but I spotted a mound of rubbish in a corner outside Xtravision earlier.Looks like it's been there a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

hey lads, does anyone know who recycles Christmas trees? do they collect it of you or you have to bring it to them?

lisij wrote: »
    hey lads, does anyone know who recycles Christmas trees? do they collect it of you or you have to bring it to them?

Recycling centre on The old Dublin Road probably take them.

Recycling centre on The old Dublin Road probably take them.

so you mean they TAKE them from my house or i need to bring it to them? thanx
    just after ringing them, they do not accept them any more, im late.
    anyone wants a Christmas tree :) ?

so you mean they TAKE them from my house or i need to bring it to them? thanx

Bring it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

There is/was a Christmas tree drop off point in Pettits car park. I happened to be in town on Friday and had to park in the car park and there are still Trees left in the bottom corner. Or you could cut it up for firewood, id say the tree is dried out by now.

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    There is/was a Christmas tree drop off point in Pettits car park. I happened to be in town on Friday and had to park in the car park and there are still Trees left in the bottom corner. Or you could cut it up for firewood, id say the tree is dried out by now.

will have to drive to pettits to see if it still in operation, as for the dry tree, well i wouldnt say that, still greenish with just a bit of brownish here and there, might just have to wait for a bit more and then just burn it

will have to drive to pettits to see if it still in operation, as for the dry tree, well i wouldnt say that, still greenish with just a bit of brownish here and there, might just have to wait for a bit more and then just burn it

Stick it in a pot and sprinkle some holy water on it.
    Ya never know.

slaney+5+feb+003.JPG

Sandbags are being delivered at the moment.High tide is between 3-6 I think.
    Or 5-7 now that I look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Went through about a hour ago, not looking good......plus given the fact that high tide is another 5 hours away......there will be no escaping it tonight

The council have issued a warning of expected flooding on
    the quays.

The council have issued a warning of expected flooding on
    the quays.

Posted in the Weather forum,SE Radio were giving updates during the evening but when the tide was rising and the town was most at risk there wasn't a peep.I was working with a few who had to use the bridges and were waiting on an update but after 9pm SE Radio decided to stop telling people of the situation,we got the info from the National radio stations instead.
    Poor show from a station that so many use for info about what's happening in the region.

Another big system heading our way tomorrow and through Saturday so I reckon flooding is inevitable.

zerks wrote: »
    Posted in the Weather forum,SE Radio were giving updates during the evening but when the tide was rising and the town was most at risk there wasn't a peep.I was working with a few who had to use the bridges and were waiting on an update but after 9pm SE Radio decided to stop telling people of the situation,we got the info from the National radio stations instead.
    Poor show from a station that so many use for info about what's happening in the region.

Another big system heading our way tomorrow and through Saturday so I reckon flooding is inevitable.

The Council have a free text alert service at "MapAlerter"for flood warnings,roadworks,water
    outages and the like.

The Council have a free text alert service at "MapAlerter"for flood warnings,roadworks,water
    outages and the like.

I know about it,but trying to explain it to some people is like speaking Mandarin to them,you know the type for whom local radio is the be all & end all.

• Advertisement

The sandbags are being deployed again.

Actually being collected.My mistake.

Advertisement