Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I heard a worrying story this evening about a local jewellery shop being robbed in broad daylight yesterday - and the owner badly injured. I can't find anything on the Guardian's website but that doesn't mean much. If it's true, its the second time the same shop has been targeted within a week - both times in broad daylight.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I heard a worrying story this evening about a local jewellery shop being robbed in broad daylight yesterday - and the owner badly injured. I can't find anything on the Guardian's website but that doesn't mean much. If it's true, its the second time the same shop has been targeted within a week - both times in broad daylight.

I also heard the same, sad so it is. It probably will be on the local papers next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Navarre wrote: »
    I also heard the same, sad so it is. It probably will be on the local papers next week.

He had a stroke in the ambulance on the way to hospital as a result of the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    He had a stroke in the ambulance on the way to hospital as a result of the attack.

That's dreadful. I didn't hear anything about it at all. If it's the same jewellers that was raided before the cops got the last guy.

Apparently his jaw was broken in the attack! What has happened to the really 'innovative' scheme :rolleyes: for having one community garda per 150 citizens. There is virtually zero garda presence in town except when traffic needs directing. It's getting to the stage where the townspeople will need to hire a security firm to protect citizens and property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

I see the florist opposite the Cathedral is closed down now.I was reading an article on The Journal about out of town shopping killing town centres,we don't have out of town shopping yet the town is still dying.The general consensus when talking to anybody is "you can't get anything you feckin' want in this place."
    I think Enniscorthy does have out of town shopping, it's called Wexford and Gorey. The amount of people you see from town if you shop in Tesco in Wexford...

Just rang Enniscorthy Council Office and surprise, surprise the all singing, all dancing Town Development Officer - Mairead Linneen - has gone with no replacement. Of course in keeping with their general efficiency, she is still listed as the Town Development Officer - complete with email/phone details etc. :rolleyes:

http://www.enniscorthy.ie/ec/ContactPersons/

I tried to make contact with her 3 times last year to see can we use the presentation center for a friend of mine so that he could give a talk to about 100 people.
    I left a MSG for her on the answering machine in the presentation center with my details. I contacted her thru FB and left a MSG for her there and i also sent the center a PM on Facebook and all with out reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Shingan is grand,I have friends living there and never hear them complain.

The only place I wouldn't recommend is Esmonde Road/Drumgoold area due to the high population of our ethnic minority.

How can they be called a minority in enniscorthy?

Something good 'popped-up' in the Market Square this weekend. Using one of the long derelict shops on the way down to Murphy Flood's, an old time shop has been recreated and is an Aladdin's Cave of Antiques & Collectables! I believe it's only there for two weeks so if this sort of stuff floats your boat get moving.

MISC+002+-+Copy.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The stone wall on the corner of Patrick's Street and Ross Road is almost defying the law of gravity at this stage,definitely needs to be taken down.

The Polish shop on Bellfield Road appears to be cleared out,looked busy enough when it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sorry but what's the night life like in Enniscorthy ? Any late bars or nightclubs ? And if there is.... what are they like ?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Sorry but what's the night life like in Enniscorthy ? Any late bars or nightclubs ? And if there is.... what are they like ?

Robbies (The Pub) in the Market Square is popular but no late bar.
    Everybody ends up in D-Bar,it's the only late night place left.Benedicts nightclub is part of the same building (Treacy's Hotel) in Templeshannon.

Word on the street is that "Mad" on the Market Square, the successor to "The Square" and "Shenanigans" is to close next month.

Word on the street is that "Mad" on the Market Square, the successor to "The Square" and "Shenanigans" is to close next month.

And Previously the Enniscorthy Inn and The Office. But to be honest trying to have it as a restaurant and not a pub at night time it was never going to succeed. When it was The office and The Inn it was 1 of if not the busiest pubs in town.

On a more positive note, I sampled several bottles of Blackstairs Brewery's "Ruby Red" in Stamps this morning while watching the rugby. First taste and I was doubtful whether it was to my liking but by the end of the second bottle I wanted more....€5 a pop for a large bottle but worth it and I got to keep an empty for my collection. :D

bots+001+-+Copy.JPG

On a more positive note, I sampled several bottles of Blackstairs Brewery's "Ruby Red" in Stamps this morning while watching the rugby. First taste and I was doubtful whether it was to my liking but by the end of the second bottle I wanted more....€5 a pop for a large bottle but worth it and I got to keep an empty for my collection. :D

bots+001+-+Copy.JPG

All drink tastes better after more...

And Previously the Enniscorthy Inn and The Office. But to be honest trying to have it as a restaurant and not a pub at night time it was never going to succeed. When it was The office and The Inn it was 1 of if not the busiest pubs in town.

Seems like it's true,the footfall in Market Square is pitiful,I think it's a miracle that more places haven't closed.I wouldn't mind but the food is good and reasonably priced.

Robbies (The Pub) in the Market Square is popular but no late bar.
    Everybody ends up in D-Bar,it's the only late night place left.Benedicts nightclub is part of the same building (Treacy's Hotel) in Templeshannon.

Thank you.

Staying nearby in a few weeks with a very mixed group age wise 19/20 year olds to 40+ year old farts like myself , Sounds like the D-bar and Benedicts would suit everyone. yes/no ?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Thank you.

Staying nearby in a few weeks with a very mixed group age wise 19/20 year olds to 40+ year old farts like myself , Sounds like the D-bar and Benedicts would suit everyone. yes/no ?

D-Bar & Benedicts would suit ye all.Hit D-Bar first and let the younger lads move into the nite club while the "old farts" stay in D-Bar.
    The place doesn't get busy until about 11pm so head up the street to Toss's or up town to Robbies or Stamps in Market Square first.

• Advertisement

D-Bar & Benedicts would suit ye all.Hit D-Bar first and let the younger lads move into the nite club while the "old farts" stay in D-Bar.
    The place doesn't get busy until about 11pm so head up the street to Toss's or up town to Robbies or Stamps in Market Square first.

thanks again

The+Holy+Grail.JPG

Strange 'shenanigans' in the Market Square noted tonight. "Mad" has been rebranded as "The Holy Grail" - not sure who's behind it but I hope it's better than the name.

Elsewhere "The Antique Tavern" finally closed yesterday and a revamp is underway by the new owners.

The+Holy+Grail.JPG

Strange 'shenanigans' in the Market Square noted tonight. "Mad" has been rebranded as "The Holy Grail" - not sure who's behind it but I hope it's better than the name.

Elsewhere "The Antique Tavern" finally closed yesterday and a revamp is underway by the new owners.

Why would they call it after the pub in Ballindaggin unless its under the same ownership.

Same ownership alright. Some people were saying it might be called The Holy Grail 2.

Same ownership alright. Some people were saying it might be called The Holy Grail 2.

Sweet Jesus, That's all we need, more Ballindaggin muppets falling around the place every weekend.

I don't mind what name is over the door so long as said door stays open and a few jobs are kept.All we'd need is another empty premises in the town:(

On another topic,I see Enniscorthy has made the list of towns where development is being held up due to over capacity of it's main drainage system,still no sign of work starting on the revamp despite all the promises.

Interesting Enniscorthy token currently on eBay - not the usual Woodcock one - anybody have any information about its origin?

Enniscorthy+Token+1.JPG

Great to see we still have some prime fuckwits living in the country.:mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/falcon-shot-wexford-1617205-Aug2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I was the same - wasn't sure if it was for me but I think I settled the debate after €20 worth of sampling!

• Advertisement

Enniscorthy's retail sector is still in meltdown with the closure of Ladies Fashion shop Zanadu on Main Street and Whyte's on the Market Square to go within days rather than weeks. :(

photo.JPG

Advertisement