Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy's retail sector is still in meltdown with the closure of Ladies Fashion shop Zanadu on Main Street and Whyte's on the Market Square to go within days rather than weeks. :(

photo.JPG

But what about all the great Out Of Town Shopping we have?...........Oh yeah it's in Wexford & Gorey.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slaypay

Hello everybody.

I'm really sorry to butt in, but do any of you have any pictures of Enniscorthy from the 1960s?

I'm looking to get a picture printed off for my dad. He was born there and lived there for around 10 years before moving to the UK. I know it would make his day if I could get him some pictures put into a frame that would be familiar to him.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

slaypay wrote: »
    Hello everybody.

I'm really sorry to butt in, but do any of you have any pictures of Enniscorthy from the 1960s?

I'm looking to get a picture printed off for my dad. He was born there and lived there for around 10 years before moving to the UK. I know it would make his day if I could get him some pictures put into a frame that would be familiar to him.

Thanks guys!

Google Enniscorthy 1960's you'll get stacks of them no doubt.
    There's some on facebook I've seen as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

slaypay wrote: »
    Hello everybody.

Thanks guys!

You could try the Enniscorthy History & Photos page on Facebook. I'm sure people would help you out on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slaypay

Thank you. I did Google but there was so many results I didn't know what to believe was from the 1960s because some looked very different to others, but in the same place. I'll have a look at that Facebook page.

• Advertisement

What's the aversion to repairing the road through Templeshannon?
    Disgraceful ugly sight of a thing.

Enniscorthy's retail sector is still in meltdown with the closure of Ladies Fashion shop Zanadu on Main Street and Whyte's on the Market Square to go within days rather than weeks. :(

I was told that Jeans Depot is closing on Rafter St. (might be just relocating but the one in Wexford has a closing down sale).
    The Babatique is closing also.
    Enniscorthy is really becoming a ghost town.The Market Square was deserted the other morning yet when I arrived in Wexford 20 mins later the place was already busy and work was ongoing in new units.I think bar a miracle we may as well write off the town as a retail centre.

As an aside,I'd like to congratulate the council on the new surface on Abbey Square/Mill Park Rd. BUT WHY DIDN'T YOU GET THE CRATERS AT TEMPLESHANNON BY THE BRIDGE FIXED AT THE SAME TIME???

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Parking Fees: Enniscorthy is unusual in it's layout. Obviously divided by the Slaney it also has difficult hills on both sides of the river. In "flat" towns you could park in main car park and walk around. If you anticipate an hour and a half in town then you parking cost would be E1.50. Hoever lets say in Enniscorthy you have lunch in Treacy's , then down to L &N , over to Dunnes Stores and then up to Ger Doyle for your meat. different car parks. Total cost E4. Would it be an idea that you could buy one ticket at the start that could be displayed in all car parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Went to see Glengarry Glenross in the Presentation Centre last night. Really good play, I was really impressed. I'm a fan of the film, so I was prepared to be disappointed but I wasn't.

Its on tonight and Saturday night too, well worth the tenner.

Very quiet in the bars on Friday nites except D Bar and Wilsons

• Advertisement

Someone needs to take down that rag of a bunting over the shops in The Duffry. Also maybe The Copper Pan could replace that tacky plastic cone and replace it with a floral display.

In all fairness, fair play to the council for the fabulous floral array all around the Abbey Square area of Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

In all fairness, fair play to the council for the fabulous floral array all around the Abbey Square area of Enniscorthy

Positivity? Sorry, wrong thread.

They were watering them at 7.30 last night,so they're not cheap.

kneemos wrote: »
    They were watering them at 7.30 last night,so they're not cheap.

That's a long time watering,they were watering them at midday when I passed by.Talk about stretching out a job.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Last year a new much need CONCRETE footpath was laid along the wall just outside Bellfield GAA club. Not too long ago some people decided to cut a strip out of the center of the footpath the full length of it, for what i don't know. But when it came to filling it in they used tarmac. The wheel chair access at the pedestrian crossing just out side the shops up there was left in an awful state because of it. Only in Ireland.

Navarre wrote: »
    Last year a new much need CONCRETE footpath was laid along the wall just outside Bellfield GAA club. Not too long ago some people decided to cut a strip out of the center of the footpath the full length of it, for what i don't know. But when it came to filling it in they used tarmac. The wheel chair access at the pedestrian crossing just out side the shops up there was left in an awful state because of it. Only in Ireland.

The ESB were carrying out maintenance.I assumed it was a temporary filling,but you never know.

I hope your right about it been a temporally filling. Wasn't it very intelligent to lay cables under a footpath in the 1st place and more intelligent to half heartily fill the trench in with tarmac.

On a similar topic. St Aidans school closed at the end of June for holidays and re-opened last week. And as soon as the kids go back to school the new extensions works start. A lot of work could and would have been done in the 2 months that the kids were on Holidays.

Navarre wrote: »
    I hope your right about it been a temporally filling. Wasn't it very intelligent to lay cables under a footpath in the 1st place and more intelligent to half heartily fill the trench in with tarmac.

On a similar topic. St Aidans school closed at the end of June for holidays and re-opened last week. And as soon as the kids go back to school the new extensions works start. A lot of work could and would have been done in the 2 months that the kids were on Holidays.

Myself and some friends were actually discussing the topic of the school works,typical Enniscorthy way of doing things.Other schools that needed work had it done in the 3 months that the kids were on holidays.
    Even if they had the demo & groundworks done during the Summer it would have been something.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Ah lads..that's a bit unfair. How was the board of management at St. Aidans and the Building firm suppose to know when all those kids were going to take holidays.

I see brothels were discovered in Wexford town and New Ross, is business so bad in Enniscorthy that it can't even support the oldest profession in the world?

• Advertisement

sundula wrote: »

I see brothels were discovered in Wexford town and New Ross, is business so bad in Enniscorthy that it can't even support the oldest profession in the world?

There is one but it costs twice as much and closes at 5pm.

What's the best pub in The Duffry to watch the hurling and soccer today?

your choice out of 3. Donohoes, Dawsons or Doyles, that's if you don't mind listening to bar-stool experts.

Best of luck to Joy Rothwell who opened her coffee shop "Impresso" at Slaney Place this morning. Deserves support.

The Tidy Towns results are in,no mention of Enniscorthy.AFAIK none of the recommendations from previous judgings have been implemented.
    Having nice flower arrangements around the Bridges & Abbey Square simply isn't enough.

http://www.tidytowns.ie/u_documents/TidyTowns%20Results%20Book%202014.pdf.pdf

So, are you going to volunteer to help the committee?

They aren't the problem,they do trojan work.It's elements in the LA that hold progress back.The usual Irish problem of everybody wanting to be the chief.

Last year,recommendations were made to the LA and they are the ones with the resources to carry them out but nothing was done.It's all well & good planting & watering flowers around the town centre when the other issues that were highlighted are being ignored.

The chronic problem of illegal dumping on every byroad around the town hardly helps.Anyone taking The Slaney Drive around Scarawalsh is faced by mile after mile of dumped rubbish.

The square looks filthy in fairness.They did a good job power washing Slaney Street,but stopped after a half hearted attempt at cleaning the steps in the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

My father maintained this plot in The Moyne for several years, keeping the grass trimmed and well presented at his own expense.

Then local authorities showed up and decided to plant this scenic arrangement of shrubs and bushes ->

9345046716_c499be1616_c.jpg

The photo above was taken over a year ago. When I last looked at this gardening masterpiece last week it looked even worse.

My father just eventually gave up on it.

The point being... why try to p-iss against the wind?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    The square looks filthy in fairness.They did a good job power washing Slaney Street,but stopped after a half hearted attempt at cleaning the steps in the Square.

Lack of funds for the water:pac:

After all the promises of the LPT providing funds for LA's nationwide of course we all see now that we were sold another pack of lies.So much for funds being given for local services and the improvement of towns & rural areas around the county:mad:

Anyone remember the (expensive) glossy brochures that were sent out promising some kind of idylic utopia across the county,all funded by LPT money? Another lie.
    Tourists taking pictures by the river & including the local al fresco "wine club" who frequent the area.

Advertisement