Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

You know, I agree with both the previous posts. I believe illegal dumping, given its scale in this town will never be resolved. It has become an everyday occurrence , and I dont believe the authorities have the resources to prosecute those careless morons who do it. I dont know the solution, accept a major national publicity campaign, like the one against fraudulent insurance claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

You know, I agree with both the previous posts. I believe illegal dumping, given its scale in this town will never be resolved. It has become an everyday occurrence , and I dont believe the authorities have the resources to prosecute those careless morons who do it. I dont know the solution, accept a major national publicity campaign, like the one against fraudulent insurance claims.

Agree, there isn't much anyone can do about it tbh, how do you monitor every inch of roadside in the county. There is no way to police it in all fairness even the fines for those being caught don't seem to be a deterrent and most people will have enough sense now not to dump rubbish with their personal details in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

geeksauce wrote: »
    Agree, there isn't much anyone can do about it tbh, how do you monitor every inch of roadside in the county. There is no way to police it in all fairness even the fines for those being caught don't seem to be a deterrent and most people will have enough sense now not to dump rubbish with their personal details in it.

The legal system in this country actually acts as a deterrent to the councils bringing people to court over illegal dumping.A case can cost thousands and one legal eagle can have the case go against them and the offender walk out scott free.

Only yesterday,the council picked up rubbish dumped along the roadside yet mere hours later 3 more bags appeared in almost the same place.A few cheap cameras with motion sensors & recording hidden in blackspots might help.Nothing expensive or fancy but very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Had a really nice coffee and sandwich in new Impresso Cafe at Slaney Place, with really friendly service and reasonable price. Getting it right is so simple, and yet we get it wrong so often. Good wifi too.........

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Hi, just a quick question. May have to move to Enniscorthy with work for a few months. Whats the Barley Field Area of town like?

• Advertisement

ab4248 wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick question. May have to move to Enniscorthy with work for a few months. Whats the Barley Field Area of town like?

Personally,I wouldn't live there,nothing particularly wrong with the area but it's beside the secondary school which causes traffic mayhem.

Try contacting here for lettings: http://www.rochepropertyservices.com/index.htm

Stay away from Viking Wharf & Riverview Court.Just not appealing places to live imo.

Navarre wrote: »
    Last year a new much need CONCRETE footpath was laid along the wall just outside Bellfield GAA club. Not too long ago some people decided to cut a strip out of the center of the footpath the full length of it, for what i don't know. But when it came to filling it in they used tarmac. The wheel chair access at the pedestrian crossing just out side the shops up there was left in an awful state because of it. Only in Ireland.

Fair dues to the contractor,the tarmac outside Gala etc. in Bellfield is better than the road surface beside it.They have completely dug out the old footpath & have it framed up for concreting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Navarre wrote: »
    Last year a new much need CONCRETE footpath was laid along the wall just outside Bellfield GAA club. Not too long ago some people decided to cut a strip out of the center of the footpath the full length of it, for what i don't know. But when it came to filling it in they used tarmac. The wheel chair access at the pedestrian crossing just out side the shops up there was left in an awful state because of it. Only in Ireland.

The reason it was dug up in the first place was because the muppets wiring the "Red Barn" during the strawberry fest shorted the mains underground cable. The cable was so badly damaged that it has to be replaced all the way back to the sub- station in bellefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As per usual, shortly after posting the impressive display of gardening genius at the Moyne (post #2400), compliments of our friends in the local authorities, someone shows up to 'tidy' it up.

Here it is as it stands today in all it glory, impressive right?

15038647220_dca5fe6e2e_z.jpg

The rubbish bags will be left lying for months before someone collects them

jpb1974 wrote: »
    As per usual, shortly after posting the impressive display of gardening genius at the Moyne (post #2400), compliments of our friends in the local authorities, someone shows up to 'tidy' it up.

Here it is as it stands today in all it glory, impressive right?

15038647220_dca5fe6e2e_z.jpg

The rubbish bags will be left lying for months before someone collects them

And they wonder how they don't improve in the Tidy Towns competition.There's lads who see the job as merely a way to fill in 8hrs a day and get paid.I've spoken to fellas on CE schemes who attempted to do some extra tidying up etc. around the town but were ordered not to so as to "not take work from LA employees",the self same employees would sleep on the floor if there was work in the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 The Duffry Gate

I hear people saying that The Duffry could do with a coffee shop or cafe, as there are always people coming and going. Theres loads of them in the rest of the town. What would ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Some fecker keeps dumping bags of mostly recyclable materials up Greenville Lane. Just past the shop on the bend. It happens once a week, and as I said, it's mostly always stuff that can be dropped to a recycling point. Idiots.

On a more positive note, the wall up Greenville Lane on the side of Westbury Woods had been hammered with Graffiti the past few years, and every time a few residents used to come out and paint over it, only for it to be sprayed again a few days later. A few months ago, I spotted a few young lads hanging around there. I reversed the car back and asked them what they were doing, they said they were waiting for friends. Anyway, I kind of put it to them that the area was being watched and that the Gardaí had been alerted and were keeping an eye out for the perpetrators. It's now been a few months and the wall is still graffiti free, touch wood, so I hope they got the message.

I have to say fair play to the few residents who kept maintaining the wall. They are not Irish by descent, but the town would be a lot better if more of the locals showed some of the same enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Notice a building crew in the back of the old Dunnes,dunno if there's plans afoot or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Noticed an estate agent taking somebody into the old internet cafe on Castle Street today - perhaps the Celtic Slug is coming back to life.

In other news, Parnell Road/Lymington Road has lost its spot as the town's most dog fouled street and today the Court Street/St.John's Street section was by far the most disgusting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hey folks, attending a wedding tomorrow and the River Side, anywhere good to grab an all day breakfast or even an early lunch?

The newly opened "Holy Grail" on the Market Square is supposed to be good for meals - not sure about breakfast though. There's another cafe a few doors from it where you will definitely get breakfast and "The Cotton Tree" cafe overlooking the old bridge can also be recommended.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Hey folks, attending a wedding tomorrow and the River Side, anywhere good to grab an all day breakfast or even an early lunch?

If your wanting a traditional big Fryup then go to the River restaurant in the Market Square. Its beside Bourke's Jewellery.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers lads

I see Whites has eventually closed in Market Square.Another empty unit to go along with all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

There are those who would not be sorry to see the place go, now if only the owner didn't still have clout with the town elders. Himself and a few others like him are one of the main causes for the slow death of an entire town. I feel bad for anyone who lost a job when it closed but the owner did himself no favours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    I see Whites has eventually closed in Market Square.Another empty unit to go along with all the rest.

Well they've only themselves to blame. When it was a record shop they wouldn't get you a chart album or single ffs. €55 for a Nilfisk floor tool, less than half that price online. Obsolete MP3 players etc etc. They were Nilfisk agents who couldn't get you any spares!! No sympathy from me and that's for sure...

I see Templeshannon marked out for repairs.Looks like filling in rather than lifting and replacing though.

An interesting aerial view of the Castle and part of Abbey Square before it was redeveloped. Am I correct in saying that the building - now gone - in Slaney Place, beside the AIB, is the pub that fell down?

Aero%2BViews%2Bpc%2Bof%2BEnniscorthy%2BCastle.JPG

Yes,that used to be the Boolavogue Inn.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

zerks wrote: »
    Yes,that used to be the Boolavogue Inn.

If memory serves me right. The white building beside the bank in that picture was Patrick Redmond Grocery shop who in turn sold it to a Dempsey man. some years later the building unfortunately was gutted by fire and then Dempsey sold the site to a Michael Piggot who bulit the boolavouge inn which was a single storey building.

One hint of optimism in the thread: Monart Interiors has opened a store just outside town.Makes a change from the trend of places closing.

Another few hints of optimism - Cooney's Bakery have taken over the Baked Potato on Rafter Street; work is progressing on the old VEC/Bank building on Castle Street (a new restaurant) and the former "Brides with Attitude" shop on Church Street is also undergoing renovations as some sort of 'health juice bar' - the mind boggles. I'll be continuing to patronise Stamps and the Antique. :D

Another few hints of optimism - Cooney's Bakery have taken over the Baked Potato on Rafter Street; work is progressing on the old VEC/Bank building on Castle Street (a new restaurant) and the former "Brides with Attitude" shop on Church Street is also undergoing renovations as some sort of 'health juice bar' - the mind boggles. I'll be continuing to patronise Stamps and the Antique. :D

In the town centre it's akin to moving pawns around a chess board.One moves & leaves a space behind.Meanwhile the same property owners jealously hold onto said retail spaces and leave them empty rather than charge reasonable rents.The old fashioned myopic view of the business 'elite' in this town is alive & well.
    I had to pay a trip to Wexford yesterday morning & by midday the main street was busy,passing back through Enniscorthy it was count the people - didn't take long.

Reading yesterday about Dealz expansion plans,room for fifty new stores according to the man in charge.
    Not a great aspiration,but ideal for Enniscorthy I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

kneemos wrote: »
    Reading yesterday about Dealz expansion plans,room for fifty new stores according to the man in charge.
    Not a great aspiration,but ideal for Enniscorthy I would have thought.

Not great by any standard, another€2 shop with employees on "zero" hours contracts?
    That'll really help the town alright!

Advertisement