Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

It's the kind of shop that could bring a footfall to an ailing town and hopefully benefit the other retailers. It's a massive chain. I was in the one in Wexford on Sunday and it was packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Ten new jobs have been created at the Riverside Park Hotel in Wexford, thanks to a 1.6 million investment in its Enniscorthy Premises.

Great news for Enniscorthy in the hospitality sector

http://www.careersportal.ie/news/news.php?Heading=10+New+Jobs+with+Wexford+Hotel+&ID=6101402#.VDLYnFc7Z7I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There's a single Chef's job going when you click on that link. No doubt the other staff will be non-nationals. I wish anybody that applies good luck. Even getting a response to a submitted CV will be better than my experience with that establishment. Still, it's their loss rather than mine as I haven't darkened their doorstep since then (2003) and won't be back. What goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

There's a single Chef's job going when you click on that link. No doubt the other staff will be non-nationals. I wish anybody that applies good luck. Even getting a response to a submitted CV will be better than my experience with that establishment. Still, it's their loss rather than mine as I haven't darkened their doorstep since then (2003) and won't be back. What goes around comes around.

Really? I see up to 4 when you click through to the site, per the screen grab below (1x "Chef the Partis", and 1 each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year Commis Chef -perhaps there should be an s at the end to be clearer):
    mOyvhn9.png?1

Whatever your past experiences of their recruitment may be, unless they have updated their site in the past 2 hours, your post is very misleading, IMHO.

My mistake but I don't take back my other comments. The 'so called' hospitality industry is synonymous with bad pay, bad hours, lack of union recognition, foreign staff, pig ignorant managers.....I could go on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

has anyone noticed couple of vans/travelers driving offering things to buy? are theysniffing around or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

lisij wrote: »
    has anyone noticed couple of vans/travelers driving offering things to buy? are theysniffing around or what?

If these travellers have VAT numbers, then they are definitely genuine traders and not like the tiny minority who give the others a bad name.

Dont be afraid to ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Read on another thread that the Bypass is to start in the Spring,already work is underway strengthening and widening roads that will be used for access to the site.

Another business is to close,The Jewellery Centre is closing permanently mainly as a result of the brutal assault of the owner during a recent robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Closure of the Jewellery Centre is a scandal. Terrible way for a man to have to retire from business after so many years. It says every thing thats wrong about society. An unprovoked assault in the middle of the day in a town centre and the guy gets away without being caught. I hope the scumbag catches a hammering.

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairfield-Farm-Fresh-Milk/311378459014284

At least we have another good news story for the area.

Interesting article about Knotweed: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/alien-invasion-of-knotweed-takes-root-across-nation-291558.html

The judges on the Tidy Towns made a point last year about the growth of this invasive plant in & around Enniscorthy.Nothing has been done to combat it's growth & spread.
    Irish St. was named as a problem area yet as usual promises were made and still nothing done - so much for the "Eco Park" or whatever it was called.Not much point building one anyway if the only plant is going to be Japanese Knotweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

zerks wrote: »
    Interesting article about Knotweed: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/alien-invasion-of-knotweed-takes-root-across-nation-291558.html

The judges on the Tidy Towns made a point last year about the growth of this invasive plant in & around Enniscorthy.Nothing has been done to combat it's growth & spread.
    Irish St. was named as a problem area yet as usual promises were made and still nothing done - so much for the "Eco Park" or whatever it was called.Not much point building one anyway if the only plant is going to be Japanese Knotweed.

No spray will kill it apparently,and even a tiny piece of root or bamboo left behind will regrow so digging it up with anything less than an excavator is probably pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Also posted this in the Whats on in Wexford thread

Would def be interested in doing this but unfortunately can't get out of work on a weekday......maybe someone else with an interest in history etc might consider it.....

DC

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Planning/WhatsNew/Name,24983,en.html

Maintaining & Recording Historic Graveyards Training Day
    Where
    Wednesday 5th November 2014 Presentation Centre, Nunnery Road, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford

What?
    A one-day training session on how to maintain and record memorials in graveyards. Part of a pilot project in County Wexford to conserve and care for our historic graveyards.

Why?
    • Graveyards are a rich source of local history and genealogy and a repository of the artistic endeavors and social values of former generations.

•The character of a graveyard must be identified before undertaking maintenance works which is crucial so as not to inadvertently destroy the features that make your graveyard the unique place that is worth conserving and presenting to the public.

•In maintaining a graveyard a balance needs to be achieved between too much tidying up work that may destroy the character and neglecting a graveyard that makes the place inaccessible to parishioner and visitor. The recording of memorials is a non-destructive low-impact way of helping to conserve graveyards and the valuable information they contain.

• Communities and individuals often enjoy recording memorials in graveyards and training can help to attain a consistent and informed approach.

• Community recording is a great resource which can leverage other funding to help conserve church ruins etc within graveyards.

• The outputs of such projects can make an area more attractive to local residents, visitors and tourists alike.

Who should attend?
    The seminar will be of interest to graveyard committees, community groups, parish groups, local historical societies, historians, genealogists, elected members, local authority staff and interested individuals.

Programme
    9.00-9.30 Registration

9.30-9.45 Introduction – John Carley, Director of Services, Housing, Environment & Community, Wexford County Council

9.45-10.00 Procedures - Yvonne Doyle, Conservation Adviser

10.00-11.00 Maintenance & Graveyards - Yvonne Doyle, Conservation Adviser

11.00-11.30 Tea/Coffee Break

11.30-12.00 Archaeology & History of Graveyards - Stafford McLoughlin Archaeology

12.00-12.30 Types of Memorials - Stafford McLoughlin Archaeology

12.30-13.00 Inscriptions, Iconography, Masons & Markers - Stafford McLoughlin Archaeology

13.00-13.30 Lunch

13.30-14.00 Photography and Recording in Graveyards - Yvonne Doyle, Conservation Adviser

14.00-14.30 How to map your graveyard and review of Wexford County Council Graveyard Memorials Recording Project – Procedures – Stafford McLoughlin Archaeology

14.30-16.00 Practical Sessions in nearby graveyard.

16.00-16.30 Feedback and Close Booking: There is no registration fee but places are limited so booking in advance is essential.

Please complete the registration form below to book your place.

Name: ________________________________________________________________

Address: _______________________________________________________________

Email: ____________________________________

Phone: ______________________

Group (if any): __________________________________________________________

Attendees should bring waterproof clothing and stout shoes for the practical session.

Return to: planning@wexfordcoco.ie or post to Planning Department, Wexford County Council, Carricklawn, Wexford. For further information please contact us on the above email or on 053-9196101

What's the big red box in the square for?

kneemos wrote: »
    What's the big red box in the square for?

I think that Vodafone had some sort of show there on Saturday. There was some sort of a tent there as well but I had more important business in Stamps. :D

I think that Vodafone had some sort of show there on Saturday. There was some sort of a tent there as well but I had more important business in Stamps. :D

It was Calor promoting their new gas burner ranges.

I bet they were shocked at the massive crowds in The Market Square:pac:

Just caught this on SE Radio news.

It seems like TK Maxx was given some benefits to locate in Wexford.Rent free for 12 months & only 5% of profits for Rates.Forward thinking which benefits the town.

Enniscorthy on the other hand has punitive Rent & Rates which is killing businesses and preventing anybody from setting up new ones.

Scaffolding erected at the Old Dunnes,are we at last going to see something done with the place?

Scaffolding erected at the Old Dunnes,are we at last going to see something done with the place?

You're a bit behind on this one. Work began weeks ago (inside and to the rear) but lest anybody get too excited, word has it that it's just to divide the building up and tart it up a bit to try and lease in seperate units - fat chance.

• Advertisement

You're a bit behind on this one. Work began weeks ago (inside and to the rear) but lest anybody get too excited, word has it that it's just to divide the building up and tart it up a bit to try and lease in seperate units - fat chance.

Haven't been up the street in a while (nothing I need on it).Never mind a flagship store that the town needs,let's divide it up into smaller units - yeah,great thinking:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Another business is to close,The Jewellery Centre is closing permanently mainly as a result of the brutal assault of the owner during a recent robbery.

Such a shame for the elderly owner and his family. Please support their closing down sale.

I see Templeshannon marked out for repairs.Looks like filling in rather than lifting and replacing though.

Somebody threw a few shovels of delay set tar into the crater at the bridge if that counts.:pac:

Somebody threw a few shovels of delay set tar into the crater at the bridge if that counts.:pac:

The road from the Still to the New Ross road got a coat of Tarmac no less,don't see why heavy traffic areas around town are neglected.

The road from the Still to the New Ross road got a coat of Tarmac no less,don't see why heavy traffic areas around town are neglected.

AFAIK it's due to be used by construction traffic when the bypass starts.The same road strengthening measures have taken place in other locations where the trucks etc. will be travelling to site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Smiths arrow next door was being invaded by rats from the disused building. Dermot Kavanagh made dunnes do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

AFAIK it's due to be used by construction traffic when the bypass starts.The same road strengthening measures have taken place in other locations where the trucks etc. will be travelling to site.

The road between Cooladine and Drumgold got a revamp recently. Some sections widened, lots of drainage work and resurfaced, tared and chipped. It's actually usable now.

Must be for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gumgum1

I was over in treacys for there haloween party. Have to say it was a brilliant afternoon for the kids. Plenty of food and as much juice as the kids could drink . We got our tickets for free and i dont know if any one paid for theirs .so a big well done to all involved

Thought the by pass was going around Ballymurn direction.

• Advertisement

Thought the by pass was going around Ballymurn direction.

There's also a route to link up with the N30.

Advertisement