Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

4 council workers, a JCB and a dumper have been outside my house this morning since about 8:30am.

It appears to me, that the boys are intent on making 2 hours work (minor cutting back of ditches in spots) last them the entire day.

The JCB has spent more time parked doing nothing than it has turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

jpb1974 wrote: »
    4 council workers, a JCB and a dumper have been outside my house this morning since about 8:30am.

It appears to me, that the boys are intent on making 2 hours work (minor cutting back of ditches in spots) last them the entire day.

The JCB has spent more time parked doing nothing than it has turned on.

shovels don't breastfeed themselves you know

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭lisij

Just noticed today that yet another 'cash for goods' http://www.cashencounters.com outlet is opening on Main Street (where Bonita's Boutique was) - not an addition to the town's retail attractions in my opinion. That makes three such outlets in the town now if you count the 'Cash for Gold' outlet on the Island Road and the other shop near Courtney Print in the Super Valu carpark. There are also two cash for clothing outlets....oh dear....last one out switch the lights off. :(
    hey, i know this thread is old, do any of the cash for clothes is still open in Enniscorthy or Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lisij wrote: »
    hey, i know this thread is old, do any of the cash for clothes is still open in Enniscorthy or Wexford?

None in Enniscorthy,AFAIK there's one beside The Gaelic Bar in Wexford (beside Bishopswater)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

lisij wrote: »

Yes there is one on main street, opposite side to the Cathedral. There are 2 similar looking shops on that side - one is cash for gold I think, the other is a cash for anything, including clothes, sort of place. I happened to walk past Thursday. The sign says Cash for Clothes - 65c per kg (and multiplies it up for the mathematically challenged to €6.50 for 10kg).

I have never dealt with the place so I can't comment further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Witnessed a Dunnes delivery,quite a show.
    All of the road and some of footpath,literally all he could do to get the thing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

kneemos wrote: »
    Witnessed a Dunnes delivery,quite a show.
    All of the road and some of footpath,literally all he could do to get the thing in.

I feel sorry for the guys driving the artics... it must be one of the worst delivery bay setups in the history of mankind, I just can't think of a worst one.

Bad enough the width of the bay, the width of the road and the angle they have to get in at... but all done on the middle of a main road that runs from Rosslare to Dublin, in the centre of a town with bad enough traffic at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the guys driving the artics... it must be one of the worst delivery bay setups in the history of mankind, I just can't think of a worst one.

Bad enough the width of the bay, the width of the road and the angle they have to get in at... but all done on the middle of a main road that runs from Rosslare to Dublin, in the centre of a town with bad enough traffic at the best of times.

And without fail there's always some numpty parked in the space nearest the garage marked with a big X.

Has anybody got an idea what the new building between the Community Workshop & the An Post depot is? Looks a bit like a creche as it has play equipment outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭__oc__

zerks wrote: »
    Has anybody got an idea what the new building between the Community Workshop & the An Post depot is? Looks a bit like a creche as it has play equipment outside.

It's a pre school/creche for children with intellectual disabilities. Currently located in the cwcw they needed more space so are moving in there soon

• Advertisement

I see Wexford Co.Co. advertising a position for an Resident Engineer on the Enniscorthy Flood Relief project,a 3 year tenure.By that reckoning it should be starting fairly soon.

I see Wexford Co.Co. advertising a position for an Resident Engineer on the Enniscorthy Flood Relief project,a 3 year tenure.By that reckoning it should be starting fairly soon.

Think I read somewhere that The Enniscorthy Traders Association were going to object to the current plans in favour of dredging.

These people need to stick to looking after their six customers per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Think I read somewhere that The Enniscorthy Traders Association were going to object to the current plans in favour of dredging.

These people need to stick to looking after their six customers per day.

You're kidding? The proposed flood protection will destroy the town.

You're kidding? The proposed flood protection will destroy the town.

Dredging won't do a thing to alleviate flooding.
    It's barriers or flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Dredging won't do a thing to alleviate flooding.
    It's barriers or flooding.

When was the river last dredged? As far as I can see they would be better spending the money on relocating any businesses on the quays that feel the need to which would be massively cheaper than the barriers and wouldn't wreck the appearance of the river.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The obvious solution to this, Build up a 4 ft wall on the existing wall/bank on the shannon quay the new bridge will be removed so dig 10ft deep from the old bridge down as far as the slip way or even further down to the Riverside also the land known as the bare meadows could be dug away to widen out the river. There is a photo in stamps pub taken in 1909 of a steam boat moored just above where the new bridge is. The River was used by Grabbards and Cots for years and all that's wrong now is there is too much bed/soil between the 2 bridges. There is no point in people arguing that water will find its own level and its no good dredging the river. Once what i have just explained is done no matter what amount of rain falls in wicklow or how much of a fresh or flood is in the river the water will flow straight thru with out to much trouble.

Navarre wrote: »
    The obvious solution to this, Build up a 4 ft wall on the existing wall/bank on the shannon quay the new bridge will be removed so dig 10ft deep from the old bridge down as far as the slip way or even further down to the Riverside also the land known as the bare meadows could be dug away to widen out the river. There is a photo in stamps pub taken in 1909 of a steam boat moored just above where the new bridge is. The River was used by Grabbards and Cots for years and all that's wrong now is there is too much bed/soil between the 2 bridges. There is no point in people arguing that water will find its own level and vits no good dredging the river. Once what i have just explained is done no matter what amount of rain falls in wicklow or how much of a fresh or flood is in the river the water will flow straight thru with out to much trouble.

Sounds plausible in fairness.
    There's no reason the barriers couldn't be done tastefully though.A stone wall with the barrier in the middle for example could add to the look of the place,they don't need to be high.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Its Tidal water up as far as the railway bridge. High Tide with a Fresh/Flood after heavy rain squeezed into a tight spot between the 2 traffic bridges with a high river bed is always going to be a point of Flooding. I dont see why the guys who are planning on putting in unsightly barriers cant see that. Ask any man who has fished that river all his life and will say the same as what i am. The other benefit to this is it creates enough depth of water for Salmon and Sea trout to head up river to spawn.

Weather warning for the S.E & East coast for tomorrow into Friday,we could well see what we need for flood defense by Friday evening.

Dredging would be my choice but didn't somebody find a rare weed that needs protection,as Navarre said,the river was dredged for years and it never did any harm.The gravel from Enniscorthy used to transported by boat for building projects in Wexford.
    The riverbed only rose after the building of the 2nd bridge,yes we had floods before but they were a rare event.

Major queues down springvally.
    Resurfacing Templeshannon finally I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Major queues down springvally.
    Resurfacing Templeshannon finally I think.

Maybe spock came off the bike again....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is it true Enniscorthy is shut down due to flooding? Go elsewhere type of thing?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is it true Enniscorthy is shut down due to flooding? Go elsewhere type of thing?

Thanks to Maq in the weather forum:
    B2U0dXuIAAA4k-9.jpg:large

B2UuIBAIQAAer8f.jpg:large

Wait 'til you see it tomorrow when the Slaney Bursts it's banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Thanks to Maq in the weather forum:
    B2U0dXuIAAA4k-9.jpg:large

B2UuIBAIQAAer8f.jpg:large

Wait 'til you see it tomorrow when the Slaney Bursts it's banks.

Any update of the current situation in Enniscorthy? still closed?

Yer man in that JCB should have knocked a hole in that wall and let the water out!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

^^^

Yes it looks as if the Slaney itself is a LOT lower than the water on the road

vicwatson wrote: »
    ^^^

Yes it looks as if the Slaney itself is a LOT lower than the water on the road

There was a geyser out of a man hole on the bottom of Springvally,couldn't handle the flow.
    Ended up on the N11 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

5anb0j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Just got notification that the N11 is closed this morning in Enniscorthy. on the advice of the Gardai at least some of the schools are also closed. Duvet day anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nmcgorman

st senans ps closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Some pics from the Riverside Park Hotel. I hope nobody has planned a wedding reception there today.

Car Park at the back of the Riverside Function Room
    4ij7zo.jpg

Car Park at the Playground
    34hvyg8.jpg

Advertisement