Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks Z - that's a shame.

His posts were useful and informative.

I agree. He may have come across like a contrary old sod at times, but he was genuinely interested in the town being a better place. If that meant highlighting the dog shít problem every now and again, so be it. He was often one of the first to come out and inform/praise some of the positive developments also.

The general tone of this thread has become condescending and patronizing in recent weeks. The thread was far more informative, sensible and concerning to people in the area with JD's contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I agree. He may have come across like a contrary old sod at times, but he was genuinely interested in the town being a better place. If that meant highlighting the dog shít problem every now and again, so be it. He was often one of the first to come out and inform/praise some of the positive developments also.

The general tone of this thread has become condescending and patronizing in recent weeks. The thread was far more informative, sensible and concerning to people in the area with JD's contributions.

I disagree- refusing to discuss the real problems of the town are the downfall of any discussion in this thread.

If the regulars think discussing the big issues is condescending then maybe they're better off not contributing ?

How about ye actually discuss what's really wrong in the town?

If regurgitating dog Sh1te stories is more pertinent than discussing criminality or problems with particular groupings, then no progress will be made with this thread or in general in Enniscorthy .

Ps I've seen loads of recent praise of developments on the thread - so that statement is not accurate either...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

We're all entitled to our opinions, and to post them w/o being flamed.

I agree with JPB, that the tone of this thread has become argumentative and LOUD.

There's no need for it, and frankly, it discourages participation.

New Yr's resolution perhaps....?

(Realistically, posting here is not going to solve Enniscorthy's problems - it can highlight them, and it's the ideal forum for that. Actually solving the problems is a whole new ball game!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We all know it's an open secret that some members of the local council read this thread (some of our suggestions were mentioned in meetings and reported on in the local press).

Despite all the promotion of shopping local and helping the town,it didn't work.Passing through the Market Square there were more people singing carols than members of the public.It was a running joke in Wexford yesterday that the whole of Enniscorthy had emmigrated there as there were so many down shopping.
    The main shopping street had a fortune spent on it in Enniscorthy and is still nearly empty thanks to Dunnes holding it to ransom by keeping the largest premises on it empty to protect it's interests in the other store.Can't the council introduce some kind of sanctions on them?

In the next 9 months or so we'll see the start of the bypass,that will either make or break the town,I fear it will be the latter at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I know some people might not like the tone of the thread or certain things being highlighted on the thread but to be honest lads some of the less lets say popular or politically correct comments might not be nice to read but they are true unfortunately.

Its a huge problem with the town unfortunately amongst other things such as the strangle hold Dunnes Stores and other business owners in the town have on the town itself more interested in self preservation rather than the good of the town.

• Advertisement

I have no problem with issues being highlighted - whether it's dog$hit on the streets, or the complete inability of local groups (incl the now defunct council) to do anything useful for the town - Ghost St (Rafter St) being a prime example.

I DO have an issue with some posters flaming others, and belittling their comments. There have been some aggressive and unwelcome comments here recently - and I suspect that at least 1 long-standing poster has closed his a/c - connection?

This thread is poorer as a result - and it's a thread I visit regularly, as it provides current information on my hometown, and provides a forum for reasonable discussion.

I sincerely hope it stays that way - and we all have a duty to ensure it does.

I have no problem with issues being highlighted - whether it's dog$hit on the streets, or the complete inability of local groups (incl the now defunct council) to do anything useful for the town - Ghost St (Rafter St) being a prime example.

I DO have an issue with some posters flaming others, and belittling their comments. There have been some aggressive and unwelcome comments here recently - and I suspect that at least 1 long-standing poster has closed his a/c - connection?

This thread is poorer as a result - and it's a thread I visit regularly, as it provides current information on my hometown, and provides a forum for reasonable discussion.

I sincerely hope it stays that way - and we all have a duty to ensure it does.

If you have an issue with perceived abuse or flaming then use the report button!

Being PC is what has the town where it is , have courage to speak your minds and speak the truth.
    If you receive personal abuse the report it!

The mods are very good and I think fair!
    To state that certain users have closed accounts over perceived abuse on here seems ludicrous to me .

If they are long term users they know how to handle over aggressive or personal content .

I await the day ye decide to jump down off the fence and discuss the real issues .

Nothing new, but an ongoing issue that has never been addressed -

I wish that the local authorities would do something about the constant illegal parking in the bus stop on The Quay.

At least a dozen times the past 2 weeks there has been traffic disruption as a result of buses not being able to park properly, as recently as this morning. Combined with already high volumes of traffic heading south, it took me about 5 minutes to get from Toss Kavanagh's to the new bridge just today.

The attitude towards illegal parking in legal park spaces is relaxed in Enniscorthy (Wexford town, they are too ruthless), and I appreciate that for the most part. But the same attitude towards illegal parking in illegal spaces has been adopted. A flurry of on the spot fines will make people think twice before parking there again.

Parking outside Dunnes stores on the double yellow lines, another PITA.

Nothing new, but an ongoing issue that has never been addressed -

I wish that the local authorities would do something about the constant illegal parking in the bus stop on The Quay.

At least a dozen times the past 2 weeks there has been traffic disruption as a result of buses not being able to park properly, a recently as this morning. Combined with already high volumes of traffic heading south, it took me about 5 minutes to get from Toss Kavanagh's to the new bridge just today.

The attitude towards illegal parking in legal park spaces is relaxed in Enniscorthy (Wexford town, they are too ruthless), and I appreciate that for the most part. But the same attitude towards illegal parking in illegal spaces has been adopted. A flurry of on the spot fines will make people think twice before parking there again.

Parking outside Dunnes stores on the double yellow lines, another PITA.

Good old Enniscorthy,my missus got a fine for forgetting to put a new ticket on her car after being delayed in the doctors (she was parked in a space) yet you can park with impunity in a bus stop or even on a roundabout in the town.These should be automatic tow-away zones.

zerks wrote: »
    Good old Enniscorthy,my missus got a fine for forgetting to put a new ticket on her car after being delayed in the doctors (she was parked in a space) yet you can park with impunity in a bus stop or even on a roundabout in the town.These should be automatic tow-away zones.

Jez... typical ain't it. I've been there in the past, legally parked but caught up in the dentist/doctor with the ticket set to elapse.

Surprised to hear that though... it's bloody hard to get a parking ticket in Enniscorthy. The Chocolate Soldier appears to be have a chat with people the vast majority of the time I see him. Have never seen him writing up a ticket.

• Advertisement

It's the patrons of keoghs who do the majority of illegal parking in both locations, but they are above the law - also see a lot of Dublin reg cars stoping there- usually short stops though.
    They don't care.

Or how about abandoning vans & cars outside the cathedral and the off-licence ??
    Usually the same group

The traffic warden is too busy stood in the square talking rubbish to locals.
    Next time I see it happen I'll post pics up directly .
    But ye all know who does it.

I'm not sure I care who does it and it won't make me feel any better if there are pictures posted. In fact, I think you'd be looking for trouble doing that. I'd just like to see the issue addressed at a local authority level, that would be a good start and a quick win in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

barney 20v wrote: »
    It's the patrons of keoghs who do the majority of illegal parking in both locations, but they are above the law - also see a lot of Dublin reg cars stoping there- usually short stops though.
    They don't care.

Or how about abandoning vans & cars outside the cathedral and the off-licence ??
    Usually the same group

The traffic warden is too busy stood in the square talking rubbish to locals.
    Next time I see it happen I'll post pics up directly .
    But ye all know who does it.

The guy "stood in the square"is not the lad that does Quay.

Is there two chocolate soldiers now? Can't say I've ever seen anyone on the Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

He's still around, just with a different name

Thanks klong - good to hear!

I'm not sure I care who does it and it won't make me feel any better if there are pictures posted. In fact, I think you'd be looking for trouble doing that. I'd just like to see the issue addressed at a local authority level, that would be a good start and a quick win in my opinion.

Please explain why you "think you'd be looking for trouble doing that"

Surely if someone is parked illegally in a public place in town then posting a photo would highlight who is doing it?

I've never ever seen any traffic warden down on the quay-
    I've seen the cops issue tickets from time to time.

Quick win in Enniscorthy ??? Haahaa some chance
    Once again you are ignoring who is creating many problems in town and wishing the local authority will fix it, all the while knowing they are not capable of addressing such issues!

If it is factually proven that certain people are habitually breaking the law in town regarding parking etc then I think it should be shown.

Please explain why you "think you'd be looking for trouble doing that"

Surely if someone is parked illegally in a public place in town then posting a photo would highlight who is doing it?

I've never ever seen any traffic warden down on the quay-
    I've seen the cops issue tickets from time to time.

Quick win in Enniscorthy ??? Haahaa some chance
    Once again you are ignoring who is creating many problems in town and wishing the local authority will fix it, all the while knowing they are not capable of addressing such issues!

If it is factually proven that certain people are habitually breaking the law in town regarding parking etc then I think it should be shown.

Posting a pic of a car, parked illegally, with license plate visible?

Can't imagine Boards would allow that.

Perhaps someone, who knows the forum rules thoroughly, might confirm...?

BTW - are you qualified to prove that someone is breaking the law? If not......

To be honest - I can't take much more of barney 20v, he's destroying this thread. Instead of having an interactive discussion, we're descending into your standard internet warrior drivel and I just don't have time for it. Maybe you can go start your own thread about the town barney 20v and let this one go back to the way it was for a number of years?

Otherwise, I won't be posting on this thread much longer... I'm really and truly just not arsed in bashing travellers (I've trained several young traveller chaps in the GAA club and haven't a single bad word to say about them) and illegal parking vigilantism via photos.

I expect another typical barney 20v reply to this... 'not breaking rules', 'get off the fence', 'discuss the real issues'... but I just don't think you get it. I'm guessing you wouldn't enjoy drinking in Kehoes (nobody is breaking the law there) and I'm not enjoying interacting on this thread of late. Do you get it now?

There's a facebook page for that craic,Barney would be better served posting pics there,a similar thread in motors was locked.

AH for traveller threads,we know all about them in the town.They didn't close down all the shops,charge extortionate rates and rents to inhibit fair competition.Yes they park where they want but fines etc. don't seem to deter them so it's gone to a stage where it's tolerated,no point ranting here about it.

• Advertisement

To be honest - I can't take much more of barney 20v, he's destroying this thread. Instead of having an interactive discussion, we're descending into you're standard internet warrior drivel and I just don't have time for it. Maybe you can go start your own thread about the town barney 20v and let this one go back to the way it was for a number of years?

Otherwise, I won't be posting on this thread much longer... I'm really and truly just not arsed in bashing travellers (I've trained several young traveller chaps in the GAA club and haven't a single bad word to say about them) and illegal parking vigilantism via photos.

I expect another typical barney 20v reply to this... 'not breaking rules', 'get off the fence', 'discuss the real issues'... but I just don't think you get it. I'm guessing you wouldn't enjoy drinking in Kehoes (nobody is breaking the law there) and I'm not enjoying interacting on this thread of late. Do you get it now?

"The attitude towards illegal parking in legal park spaces is relaxed in Enniscorthy (Wexford town, they are too ruthless), and I appreciate that for the most part. But the same attitude towards illegal parking in illegal spaces has been adopted. A flurry of on the spot fines will make people think twice before parking there again.
    "Parking outside Dunnes stores on the double yellow lines, another PITA."

"Yes they park where they want but fines etc. don't seem to deter them so it's gone to a stage where it's tolerated,no point ranting here about it"

So which is it? Do the esteemed posters of this thread want action on this issue or...... Not?
    Ye have stated that members of the council etc view this thread, so what message are they to garner from this??

Is it that a problem exists in town that is common knowledge but we don't want discussion of who is doing it and or any action taken ??

Or is it that this is a real issue and something needs to be done about it?
    ( interactive Discussion)
    Jpb "I'd just like to see the issue addressed at a local authority level, that would be a good start and a quick win in my opinion"

Which is it folks??
    Ps Jpb I'm a non drinker so keoghs doesn't interest me.

Also I'm sorry to hear you are not enjoying participating on this thread- but it is not my concern... Now do you get it?

A car parked on double yellow lines is parked illegally - it's very simple.

You don't drink.. now that is a surprise. And all this time I thought you were on a drun... oh, forget about it... not my concern.

Ignore list... done...

Cheerio Precious :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Next week on the Enniscorthy Thread...Barney gets accused of being racist and jp makes a surprise return.

Stay tuned.

zerks wrote: »
    There's a facebook page for that craic,Barney would be better served posting pics there,a similar thread in motors was locked.

AH for traveller threads,we know all about them in the town.They didn't close down all the shops,charge extortionate rates and rents to inhibit fair competition.Yes they park where they want but fines etc. don't seem to deter them so it's gone to a stage where it's tolerated,no point ranting here about it.

No ranting- just giving my opinion of a perceived issue.
    My opinion( as concurred by you) is somehow less valid on here though it seems.

Is the enniscorthy thread Turing into a clone of the town? A closed shop with only a few BIG NAMES allowed to hold an opinion on an issue ??

You don't have to like what I say, but I'm entitled to my opinion non the less.
    No agenda here by me, I say it as I see it.
    If that offends the regulars then hard luck !
    No traveller bashing. Just stating how I see it.

kneemos wrote: »
    Next week on the Enniscorthy Thread...Barney gets accused of being racist and jp makes a surprise return.

Stay tuned.

LOL... that had definitely crossed my mind. Ethnic cleansing #1 on the town council's list of priorities for 2015 if the Führer had power.

Any chance of some discussion on here where I'm not accused of being a drug user or a racist???
    Either explicitly or by innuendo

I've kept on topic but that's personal abuse folks.

A car parked on double yellow lines is parked illegally - it's very simple.

You didn't answer my question. I'm sure I made it clear.

TBH Barney the thread has changed since you've started to post here regularly - it's fractious and ill-natured.

I've said before that this forum is NOT the place to fix issues, it's discussion only.

You should take your grievances to a local representative, and engage with them.

I would prefer if you allowed the thread to resume its former course and tone.

Thanks.

PS I'm not engaging in a discussion re the above.

You didn't answer my question. I'm sure I made it clear.

TBH Barney the thread has changed since you've started to post here regularly - it's fractious and ill-natured.

I've said before that this forum is NOT the place to fix issues, it's discussion only.

You should take your grievances to a local representative, and engage with them.

I would prefer if you allowed the thread to resume its former course and tone.

Thanks.

PS I'm not engaging in a discussion re the above.

I've always remained on topic and followed the rules.
    I've clarified my intentions previously on this thread ( today actually)

I've not attacked posters - just the posts.
    I've not made any ill- natured posts.

I've just given my opinions on issues being discussed.
    I might have a more direct tone but I've in no way attacked any poster .

I've commented on the positive developments in town recently and have stated all that I see as positive about Enniscorthy.

I ask you to look back at the abuse directed at me on here even just today.
    I refuse to be bullied into ceasing posting on here.
    If you don't agree with me that's fine, but please don't abuse me personally.

• Advertisement

Was in the recycling centre on the Old Dublin Road for the first time today and was mighty impressed with it. The service is free (as it should be), clean, tidy, very well organized and they take a wide range of recyclables.

Am doing a major tidy up at home and was able to shift some old household electrical items, used deep fat frier oil, a ton of cardboard and plastics. Making another trip tomorrow with more crap that has accumulated in the house over the years.

Worth a look for anyone with stuff that needs to be shifted.

Advertisement