Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can guarantee that the same morons will be outside the Castle next weekend again trying to get in,too thick to realise that abusing the bouncers gets them nowhere.Gotta love the classy women who get all dressed up only to end up lying in the street.Don't envy anyone living around the town centre.Why don't the Gardai simply park a van on the street at throwing out time and use video cameras the same as the Police in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Last week's nonsense about broken glass being discovered appear to have had major repercussions for the reopening of the Castle Museum which now has officially been shunted off in 2011 'in time for the main tourist season' - whatever that means. From today's Enniscorthy Guardian:

pic002ac.jpg

Councillor John o' Rourke wants action on illegal parking outside the Credit Union and BOI-he musta been reading this thread.Even so,still no action being taken.Was down that way this morning,there was a van and 3 cars parked on the roundabout with a row of cars outside the bank again.One car even had half a lane blocked by parking at the green outside Xtravision.These areas along with the bus stop should be made tow-away areas with no exceptions.All it takes is one moron to park in the wrong place and we get gridlock in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

On the subject of traffic -

Last Friday afternoon I got stuck at the bottom of Bohreen Hill due to heavy traffic... normally nothing unusual about that you would think.

But this week the traffic heading south to Wexford along the Island Road was bumper to bumper, not moving an inch, back out the Dublin road as far as I could see. There was nothing heading north towards Dublin.

So I put two and two together and figured it was a 5 axle vehicle trying to reverse into the Dunnes Stores loading bay... at about 3:45pm on a Friday afternoon.

I headed up up Irish Street and back down by the Bailey... and yup, there she was the 5 axle trying to reverse in to Dunnes loading bay.

Traffic was ground to a halt from the Wexford Road, all through the town (Prom, Quay, Abbey Square, up Castle Hill etc) and out the Dublin road. You're probably talking about 20-25 minute delays when you factor in the scale of the build up.

I tell ya... planning at it's finest.

Major storm on the way Sunday night/Monday morning-are the council prepared for heavy rain,storm force winds and an extremely high tide.I've heard on the news that Dublin is prepared but you may bet that people in Enniscorthy will still be parked on the Prom and along the quays.On a somewhat positive note the council were complaining that health and safety regulations were forcing them to have a 3 man team cleaning gullys in the town even though it's a 2 man job-essentially one man will be stood there watching.Even the council have realised what a waste of time that is.God I love h+s rules-ignore common sense and make up bizzare rules.Ah well,roll on the hurricane-I love a good storm:D

• Advertisement

All the latest from Sunny Enniscorthy here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

Reichstag.jpg

The council continue to fritter away what little money they have left. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

JD another great post and I love the blog, shame about the unhealthy obsession with an odd shaped ball...

Its a pity the mainstream media don't pick up on this and hold the local authority accountable, the playground is a disgrace - remove it if they are not going to maintain it!!

The bench and monument, WTF, some sand paper and a coat of varnish is all thats required and some solvent to remove the grifitti (I'd like to introduce these morons to the sharp end of a pike).

Are our Councillors and officials lazy, incompetent, egoistical, short sighted???

Time has long past for a massive shake up, the Daíl is broken but so too is local government...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The playground on the Prom needs some TLC. Its gone abit shabby and does suffer badly from vandalism. Burning the large swing was a disgrace.

Its a very popular playground and it is used all day by large numbers of people. Sandpaper, elbow grease and varnish would do an awful lot to improve the look of it.

The new playground has spotlights and cctv,thats whats needed on the prom.Perhaps the council have plans for it when they start upgrade works along the prom area.There doesn't seem to be a decent alternative site for it in town which has parking and is relatively safe regarding traffic etc.
    It definitely need some serious tlc and anyone caught vandalising it should be prosecuted and made cough up the costs of repairs,wait until these little f*ckers have kids and are complaining they have nowhere to bring them to play.

You look at the playground in Maudlintown down in Wexford... the best of equipment and absolutely spotless... and then compare it to Enniscorthy and find yourself asking where did it all go wrong.

That yoke they erected at the bottom of Slaney Street is some laugh... barely noticeable, aesthetically redundant and totally forgettable.

• Advertisement

That yoke they erected at the bottom of Slaney Street is some laugh... barely noticeable, aesthetically redundant and totally forgettable.
    What yoke? I didn't notice it at all.Your point is proven. On the topic of amenities for kids,I was in a small village in Kildare recently,they have a top notch playground with more stuff in it than BOTH the playgrounds we have in Enniscorthy.Plus it was immaculate,when I was a kid all we had was an overgrown set of swings and some monkey bars in the Barleyfield.That was Enniscorthy's playground back in the day.
    The playgrounds are free to use and I'd be loathe to putting them in an indoor environment where payment is needed to use them but that's what could happen if it becomes too costly to maintain them due to scumbags wrecking them.

when I was a kid all we had was an overgrown set of swings and some monkey bars in the Barleyfield

I remember them well... they sat in about 3 foot of grass.

Headline on front of this weeks Echo: BUY LOCAL NOW TO SAVE OUR TOWN I have commented on this topic before regarding shopping in Enniscorthy.Here's an example-last week I bought a new freezer in Carlow,the same one was €50 more expensive in Enniscorthy even though the shop was part of a chain which should mean the prices are uniform nationwide.I hadn't gone to Carlow specifically to buy it but picked it up while I was there-€50 better in my pocket.
    How can shops expect people to shop local with higher prices and limited choice.This shop local scheme was tried last year and still the exodus took place.The trips to the North will be lessened for people due to the exchange rate but that won't stop shoppers from heading to the likes of Carlow,Wexford and Arklow.You can get to Dundrum now in an hour,all more attractive propositions regarding price and choice.
    I fear years of insular thinking and protective jealous actions in the town have come home to roost.We as a town got left behind during the boom years.The place is centrally located and within easy reach of anywhere in the county but instead of taking advantage of this,the town was allowed to decline and be left behind.Just take a trip to Wexford on any weekend and see how may Enniscorthy people you meet.A sad state of affairs and a campaign designed to tug at our heart strings won't change anything.:(

As the country rushes towards the abyss Enniscorthy appears to be bucking the trend with more shops opening/about to open and hopefully some will survive the imminent storm which I fear is going to rip the heart out of the retail sector. Today I checked out the recently opened 'Nosh + Coffee' cafe at the bottom of Slaney Place and would give it the thumbs up. Still missing is a decent toy shop - something that I have considered myself but I haven't the capital to risk on such a risky project with the way the economy is going.

gate%2B006.JPG

Wickham's Butchers is also due to reopen shortly in the Market Square after being displaced for 5 years due to the Murphy Floods fire.

wickhams%2B002.JPG

Fair play to Wickhams to move back to their original premises,the market square needs it,all we need now is the tidying up and reopening of Colemans pub.
    I won't go into the Murphy Floods site argument,that's a thread on it's own.
    I posted a note in the jobs section here regarding Coffee+Nosh all the best to them.What we can't get away from is the amount of shops selling similar goods,we need a bit of variety.The idea of turning the old Dunnes site into an indoor market could be gathering pace if the new thread started is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Willam Barker

Coffee and Nosh are part of a chain I think, I've certainly seen one on Killarney but anyway best of luck to them and of couse welcome back Wickhams, lets hope the Murphy Floods site is redeveloped soon - IMO the Council should CPO it and the other burned out pub in the square - its a disgrace to see the centre of the town besmirched like that, are they owners being fined??

I came across an interesting Falité Ireland report - I was speaking with one of the the authors recently - and it mentions Enniscorthy but I think its not making nearly enough of itself and tourism offers massive potential to create good sustainable jobs which we are crying out for. I can't get the full report but the googledocs version is available from here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3D4oQp_u1QkJ:failteireland.ie/Word_files/PUBLICATIONS-NEW-BUILD/Historic-Towns-Web-copy+Page+1+Historic+Towns+in+Ireland&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

One of the big findings was the attraction of markets, get a daily one in the market square and it would be a serious addition to the town!!

Nosh & Coffee are a franchise operation - http://www.noshandcoffee.ie/ and as such I would be worried about their long term future in their current location - remember Subway at the back of Dunnes Stores.

Does anybody have any news on the rumours that Iceland are to open a store in the old Dunnes Stores premises? Also I read on the thread about Gorey that Tesco are planning to open another store up there,Jaysus we can't even get one in Enniscorthy.Coffee+Nosh should do ok in that location,there's a lot of passing foot traffic down there as opposed to where Subway was located-shoppers used to go as far as Dunnes Stores but wouldn't go the extra few yards to Subway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

zerks wrote: »
    Does anybody have any news on the rumours that Iceland are to open a store in the old Dunnes Stores premises?

Dunnes would never rent out one of there buildings to another supermarket chain.

Just want to congratulate the organisers and participants of The Rumble In The Riverside. A great night and some brilliant bouts.Brought some much needed cheer to the week(won't mention IMF etc.:D)
    Money raised for a worthwhile cause and many thanks to the Shamrocks and Raparees for taking part.On a side note,Treacys Hotel are donating door takings from Benedicts on Saturday night aswell.If anybody has any pics to post up here please do.

• Advertisement

Just want to congratulate the organisers and participants of The Rumble In The Riverside. A great night and some brilliant bouts.Brought some much needed cheer to the week(won't mention IMF etc.biggrin.gif)
    Money raised for a worthwhile cause and many thanks to the Shamrocks and Raparees for taking part.On a side note,Treacys Hotel are donating door takings from Benedicts on Saturday night aswell.If anybody has any pics to post up here please do.

Fantastic night... and everyone who was there or was aware of it is talking about it today.

Loads of photos on the Shamrocks Facebook page -

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Enniscorthy-Ireland/Shamrocks-GAA-Club-Enniscorthy/143168760754

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 codger1

As a visitor to Enniscorthy on a weekly basis I have to say that the customer service in most shops is shockingly bad.A lot of staff seem to treat customers as a hassle and not the people who are providing their wages. In particular I would say the petrol station on the old Dublin road has perhaps the rudest laziest staff I have ever met. Any time I have been in there the cashier has sighed when serving me, the person behind the delphi counter is perhaps the most ignorant person I have ever met.

Day.1. of the latest big freeze and zero sign of the council making any effort to clear pavements in the centre of town, or the roads for that matter, and everything is an attrocious state tonight. What are elderly people supposed to do if they need to get to the shops? I was able to 'slip' the short distance to Stamps to watch rugby but no further. I would have cleared the pavement outside the building in which I live but I haven't the equipment. Why can't the council at least look for volunteers and equip same to clean up as their people clearly aren't up to it. :mad:

Don't you know that the council never listen to the forecasts.When I was working in construction we had forecasts emailed to us every day from Met Eireann,essential for planning ahead.But in this country it's backwards.I have friends from other countries where heavy snow and ice are a Winter norm.But there all roads and footpaths are clear.It's not as if this weather was unexpected and the town could have been pre-treated but no.
    Here's a tip-dishwasher salt is great stuff to melt ice and snow,and according to the news we won't be sued if someone falls outside our places due to us clearing the snow and ice.Only in Ireland,aaagh!! In the States you are oblidged by law to keep the paths outside your business and home clear but the opposite here.

Another couple of new businesses open in town,on main st. theres a nail bar/beauticians and a cafe/deli.Some signs of recovery.Hope this snow and cold doesn't impact too much on them.On that topic-is the salt and grit being saved for a later date?The streets and roads are lethal.Plus people who believe the rules of the road don't apply during snow need a beating-nearly turned my car into a tin opener due to a moron abandoning his van in the middle of the road while his other half went to the chipper.:mad:

Charity (?) shop in Weafer Street gone since yesterday - the one opposite the Chernobyl shops.

Well done to those concerned in clearing footpaths around town of snow and ice,however some establishments haven't bothered and it's lethal for pedestrians.Contrary to popular belief it's actually law to keep outside your premises clear and no individual/business can be sued if someone falls due to snow and ice being cleared.It was even stated by government ministers so there's no excuse for not getting out with a shovel and some salt.

Petrol going up by 4c/litre and diesel by 2c/litre in the budget equates to a 10c rise in Enniscorthy what's the bets?

Edit: A certain garage in Bellfield has already risen prices before the budget,greedy fockers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

zerks wrote: »
    Petrol going up by 4c/litre and diesel by 2c/litre in the budget equates to a 10c rise in Enniscorthy what's the bets?

Edit: A certain garage in Bellfield has already risen prices before the budget,greedy fockers!!

I'd rather walk than have to go to that place for diesel. Ignorant howiyas working in there, shíte parking, and hard to get out of. Havent been in there in years.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know the situation regarding the council collecting bins in the Enniscorthy area? All the private firms have been collecting theirs but the council seem to have abandonded collections.:confused:

Advertisement