Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Nope... only the traditional sea fresh (that makes me laugh every time) and sh-quare code in Enniscorthy town as far as I know.

PJs is good.. big portions too.

Yes I know what you mean by "Sea Fresh" alright:eek: ! Yes PJs is top class alright,
    don't think there is even an equivalent of pjs in Wexford town which is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Took another amble round the town this evening - very, very depressing.

Down Slaney Street (Rare Bits Antiques - for sale); looked longingly at the Antique but as eldest was with and I'd promised a walk we pushed on across the old bridge and into the Shannon (Mrs Hall's latterly The Olde Bridge cafe - for sale); on past the 'new' pizzeria (which turned out to be a reincarnation of Denis' Kebabs) and down to the railway station. The "Platform" apartments are in a dreadful state; the station devoid of life we crossed the footbridge to see if the Mute Swans had come back to their usual nest site but, alas, even they have left.

Back along the Shannon Quay past the derelict pub and into the Bus Stop Shop (an oasis of cleanliness) for ice creams. There were tourists with suitcases standing amongst the filth at the bus stop and I felt genuinely embarrassed.

Back across the river, out Millpark Road and up Friary Hill and down Rafter Street on the home straight. Even here the utter futility of the council's efforts to clean up the new paving left me really depressed. On the bright side only another year and a bit until I leave the town, and when I come back it will be in a pine box to Clonmore and I won't notice the state of the place. :)

On another positive note there were tourists there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

vicwatson wrote: »
    On another positive note there were tourists there.

And they were leaving...

I'm not living in Enniscorthy anymore, but I saw this pic of a No campaign poster elsewhere on the web, and the person who took it said it was taken in Enniscorthy. Can anybody verify that they've seen this poster in the wild? I'm struggling to believe it's real.

http://i.imgur.com/Wtl8Ja8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

davef1000 wrote: »
    I'm not living in Enniscorthy anymore, but I saw this pic of a No campaign poster elsewhere on the web, and the person who took it said it was taken in Enniscorthy. Can anybody verify that they've seen this poster in the wild? I'm struggling to believe it's real.

Posters are up around the place.

• Advertisement

So they're legit? I can't understand the message they're trying to convey.

So they're legit? I can't understand the message they're trying to convey.

Now that I look at it again I didn't see that particular poster but the ones I saw had exactly the same design.I didn't look too hard at the writing,all I saw was "a child needs a mother and father".

God knows what they're on about.Fanatics be crazy.

Okay, it is fake. The original:
    http://c1.thejournal.ie/media/2015/04/11164621_838431712896206_3927062653620684379_o-333x500.jpg

Not a hell of a lot better, but it is at least understandable as an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

And they were leaving...

Sorry, that's a fake. Serious outrage on Facebook last night over this pic.
    The hypocrisy of ramming the YES vote down your throat while at the same time calling for the burning of NO campaign was very amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Even if it's a fake,it wouldn't matter.The population of the town are so apathetic that they wouldn't notice it or care.

Speaking of apathy,has anyone heard what the craic is with the Strawberry Fest this year? Every town or village seems to be advertising one on the radio but no doubt we'll end up with the leftovers appearing on stage.

• Advertisement

The craic is...There is no Strawberry Fest. As far as I can make out its regressing even further than it was before it became the "Fest".

There going for some "Strawberry Roots" type pub thing.

There is no smiley with big enough roll eyes for my thoughts on this tbh.

On the plus side, we will soon be the Rockabilly capital of the universe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just an update on the campaign posters it seems all the No Campaign through the centre of the town have been pulled down.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Just an update on the campaign posters it seems all the No Campaign through the centre of the town have been pulled down.

Can't beat an oul poster war.

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't beat an oul poster war.

In fairness there terrible posters. There are plenty of single parents around that do a great job so the the point of a child needing a mother and father is just wrong.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    In fairness there terrible posters. There are plenty of single parents around that do a great job so the the point of a child needing a mother and father is just wrong.

Please, surely there are enough threads on fecking....marriage without bringing it in here too.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Please, surely there are enough threads on fecking....marriage without bringing it in here too.

I'm not bringing it in. I just mentioned as to why people may have removed them as I saw a lot of people complaining on facebook this morning and this was the main reason people mentioned as to what was wrong with the posters.

My fault. Sorry.

What's the story with the Nunnery Rd. Park?
    Always seems to be locked up anytime I pass it.

A lot of smoke near St. Sennans church this morning when I was driving across the bridge at about 8:45. A bit too much to be a smoky chimney. Did anyone hear anything about a fire up that area?

TheChevron wrote: »
    A lot of smoke near St. Sennans church this morning when I was driving across the bridge at about 8:45. A bit too much to be a smoky chimney. Did anyone hear anything about a fire up that area?

Fire brigade were out.Looked like it was in a garden,though only saw from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

Anyone have any info on getting fibre in the centre of town? I'm less than 50 meters from the main exchange and still can't get it. It's getting ridiculous now.

The main exchange in town ETY1_E01 has finally had an update on the NGA map from Fibre Cabinet Planned to 'Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress' or 'Fibre Cabinet In Place' Every other cabinet is live, hopefully news of a date soon, though other areas in Wexford are already gone by that stage now & have an ETA Summer/Autumn 2015 so if there's no date for us yet I'd say we could be waiting till the end of the year or 2016, I really hope not, It's been a pain waiting this long, dunno why the main exchange has taken so long but I know they are working on the NGN Core Fibre in that exchange too, dunno when that will be available though, a few years probably, none of the other exchanges say anything about that.

NGN Core aggregation sites

NGN Core Aggregation sites offer Operators and enterprises within these exchange areas direct access to fibre services, at speeds up to 1000Mb/s.
    In addition to access and aggregation services, the sites offer full diverse routing capability and traffic prioritisation.
    Linked to these Core sites are a network of over 500 additional exchange areas, nationwide, where we provide fibre access services of up to 1Gb/s to Operators and their Enterprise customers in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Akenny010 wrote: »
    The main exchange in town ETY1_E01 has finally had an update on the NGA map from Fibre Cabinet Planned to 'Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress' or 'Fibre Cabinet In Place' Every other cabinet is live, hopefully news of a date soon, though other areas in Wexford are already gone by that stage now & have an ETA Summer/Autumn 2015 so if there's no date for us yet I'd say we could be waiting till the end of the year or 2016, I really hope not, It's been a pain waiting this long, dunno why the main exchange has taken so long but I know they are working on the NGN Core Fibre in that exchange too, dunno when that will be available though, a few years probably, none of the other exchanges say anything about that.

Don't hold your breath. Here in Riverchapel the eventual live date was nine months after the original deadline and the last cabinet to go live was the one nearest the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Huge support for the Darkness into Light walk this morning. The people of town really did themselves proud!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Wexford does look better in the dark!

Just like the inhabitants that live in the dark ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Wexford does look better in the dark!

Just like the inhabitants that live in the dark ages!

Coming from the man who dominates the LiveLine thread, you sad cûnt. Haha

No sign of an end to the economic recession in Enniscorthy. This was the scene on Rafter Street this evening.

new%2Bdoc%2B2_1.jpg

No sign of an end to the economic recession in Enniscorthy. This was the scene on Rafter Street this evening.

new%2Bdoc%2B2_1.jpg

That's not good.

"Closing down sale"like sports direct eh

vicwatson wrote: »
    "Closing down sale"like sports direct eh

Couple of T.shirts I bought in it shrank to the size of a hankerchief.Cheap and cheerful.
    Still not a good sign to see it closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kneemos wrote: »
    Couple of T.shirts I bought in it shrank to the size of a hankerchief.Cheap and cheerful.
    Still not a good sign to see it closing.

Never saw more than a couple of people in the place,they opened a bigger one in Wexford.

This town is in the toilet from a retail perspective.

Advertisement