Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA classes in Donegal/Derry?

• 09-06-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi.
    Im intrested in taking some beginners MMA classes in Donegal or Derry.
    Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to getting started.

So if anyone could recommend a gym it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

Evolve in Derry is your best bet..contact Jason mc Cabe on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

weemate wrote: »
    Evolve in Derry is your best bet..contact Jason mc Cabe on this forum

AAAHhhheeeemmm..exuse me peter?:)

We are still in operation in derry..

any queries, please pm.

In donegal i would recommend the new Gracie school in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

We have classes specifically designed for beginners.

They are on twice a week. Monday night at 7:15 and saturday morning at 10:45. No previous experience necessary.

check out our website www.evolvemartialarts.com

Give me a call anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crtorres9

Thanks guys :D
    Mite try and get to the class on saturday mornings, at evolve if thats ok?
    What would you recommend bringing Jason?

Just be there around 10:30 to fill out some forms.

Apart from that you just need a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. If you have any gear like gloves or gum shield etc bring it along (but it is not necessary).

John (the head instructor) will be taking the class. I take the Monday night one.

It is basically a 15 week course which goes through all the basics techniques used in MMA. It has 5 weeks of striking. 5 weeks of ground work/subs and 5 weeks of takedowns/clinch work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

Marty Mc wrote: »
    AAAHhhheeeemmm..exuse me peter?:)

We are still in operation in derry..

any queries, please pm.

In donegal i would recommend the new Gracie school in Letterkenny.

mate my humble opologies.....I totally forgot about your good self.
    I stand corrected.
    cobra mma....with my good friend Marty Mac is also a fine option in the maiden city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You'd better hope you're not a big lump crtorres or you'll end up paired up to roll with me!

That's not a bad thing coz I'm so good (I'm not), it's a bad thing because I'm the resident fatty and I'll be lying on your head holding on for dear life!

:D

thank you peter..lol

maybe i should promote the club abit more!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Just wondering from Marty's post is there a new club started in letterkenny or is it the one that Josie murray runs?

Brian Coyle from milford has opened a Rener Gracie gym in letterkenny now as well

• Advertisement

Brian Coyle from milford has opened a Rener Gracie gym in letterkenny now as well
    Good stuff,should be popular as barney's a sound lad,is the mcAteers still running Milford jj then? Has many of the milford mma fighters switched to the new club?

Just seen the site there now Jason,anyone that may be interested from the area heres a link to the club: http://www.riliongracieireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 niall coyle

Yes Gabriel is still running milford jj ,but it is more traditional jiu jitsu,where the riliongracie ireland is more for the bjj and mma so most of the fighters train out of riliongracie ireland club but both clubs still have alot of the same members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭juijitsu black

What? Where? When? Marty? Lol. Where and when I never even heard off Cobra club in Derry man:eek:
    Please advertise it Marty, :)

What? Where? When? Marty? Lol. Where and when I never even heard off Cobra club in Derry man:eek:
    Please advertise it Marty, :)

this post reinforces the fact that we need to do more..:D

I will get on this asap!

We are only a very small contingent but im glad to say that we have competed in subgrappling and mma with success and will be building it up from there, i hope.

Imo, we are a small close knit club from modest beginnings but with some really good coaches.

People are welcome to come and train..just pm on here and all details will be provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 niall coyle

by the way there a mma club in donegal town called fighting fit with bryan and eddie gorman running it

We are also now proud to announce that Darren Friel will be joining the Evolve coaching staff as our BJJ coach

Darren has 2 world titles in Jikinshin Jiu-Jitsu grappling
    Has won the irish open BJJ blue belt title
    The NI blue belt BJJ title
    Blue belt under Royce

among just some of his accomplishments.

WOW!!!! I saw Darren compete a couple times in BJJ Champs and he is so technical :D for a man who does Jik JJ he can wip ass in BJJ, I actually think he is in Josie Murray and John Kav territory:eek: Your club will end up the best club in Ireland by the end of 2010 Jason. Fair play to you guys for getting this guy to join up.:)

Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

juijitsu black

I really dont know if you are serious or not in most of what you add to this forum. Somtimes it does seem like its nonsence.

Im sure Darren is a fantastic blue belt. But there is a massive difference between winning a couple blue belt irish competitions being and putting somone on the same level as a BJJ black belt who has medaled in European competition at advanced levels.

Im all for enthusiasim but you exaggerations make your post seem a bit ridiculous.

I have trained with Darren in Both Josie Murrays club and when he was with Ultimate Jiu Jitsu, Jason you are getting a great addition to your club in Derry.Darren is not only an excellent coach he is a genuine good guy.

Mark Fairman,

Sorry if you take some posts as a bit exagerated, but im being serious, this guy is wirey and technical as any BJJ person I have seen, I dont mean to take away from any Black Belt BJJ as I know it takes years and Years and ALOT of skill to achieve but I honestly think he is good. What about BJ PENN as a BJJ BLue belt he beat the best in the world INCLUDING BJJ BLACK BELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p lol. Im sure he isnt the only person in the world to do this:rolleyes:
    I may come accross as an eejit sometimes but I do know what im Talking about, and have no bias against anyone on this board, I just say my opion. Which im intitled to as we all are. Mabey thats why some ppl think im a :eek::mad::(:rolleyes:confused:;) But I love Irish MMA and this board and I tinks some ppl get offended from my posts because they are too close to the bone..... If someone does a good job Praise them, If they dont, well then state why and correct them. If im wrong I will ALWAYS appoligise and admit im wrong:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement