Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

postgrad funding and being recognised as an adult!

Options
  • 09-06-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
    can people doing taught masters offer any advice with funding?

I have a degree and am hoping to start a Masters in NUIG september. i have been working and renting for years, but a year ago moved back home to my parents because of unemployment. I hand up a chunk of my dole money to my parents weekly, but of course that is not officially recognised.

I'm applying for a local authority grant, but even though i am over 25 years of age, it now seems it's going to be based on my parents income as well as mine. I'm afraid this is going to seriously negatively affect my application. My parents aren't loaded by any means, but I know my dad makes good enough money. But the application form doesnt give me the opportunity to explain that he will be retiring next year and also that I AM TWENTYFIVE and my parents will NOT be contributing to my studies.
    as well as that my parents won't even TELL me their earnings/pps etc so that i can fill in the forms, saying "why should we give them our details? you're an adult going back to school, it has nothing to do with us".
    and i see their point, even if they are being unhelpful!!

anyone else had this problem, or know what i can do about it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Sorry if this is the wrong forum!
    can people doing taught masters offer any advice with funding?

I have a degree and am hoping to start a Masters in NUIG september. i have been working and renting for years, but a year ago moved back home to my parents because of unemployment. I hand up a chunk of my dole money to my parents weekly, but of course that is not officially recognised.

I'm applying for a local authority grant, but even though i am over 25 years of age, it now seems it's going to be based on my parents income as well as mine. I'm afraid this is going to seriously negatively affect my application. My parents aren't loaded by any means, but I know my dad makes good enough money. But the application form doesnt give me the opportunity to explain that he will be retiring next year and also that I AM TWENTYFIVE and my parents will NOT be contributing to my studies.
    as well as that my parents won't even TELL me their earnings/pps etc so that i can fill in the forms, saying "why should we give them our details? you're an adult going back to school, it has nothing to do with us".
    and i see their point, even if they are being unhelpful!!

anyone else had this problem, or know what i can do about it??

If you're over the age of 23 it shouldn't matter a balls what your parents are doing. If you're really worried change address for a while to a friend or relative etc... I know one girl who used her granny's address even though she only stayed there a short while.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It is insane alright, considering that some people in today's economic climate have had to move back home, but they're still financially independent and support themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Red Alert wrote: »
    It is insane alright, considering that some people in today's economic climate have had to move back home, but they're still financially independent and support themselves.

Yeh but this is a state in which if you're a woman and are married you receive no dole because your spouse is supposed to look after you, regardless of whether you have a mortgage and bills etc...
    OP you might want to read page 15 of this document and look at the bit "Independent mature candidate".

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timmi

I'm 27 (finishing a Phd) and can't get the grant because even though I was 23 starting the course I wasn't 23 on 1st January of the year I started the course (criteria for 'mature independant candidate'). So even though I am 27 they refuse to let me apply under my own means.
    As you're 25 starting the course you should be in with a chance though - there are ways around everything except your date of birth.
    Good luck!

Advertisement