Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pajero LWB Commercial 00-06

• 09-06-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭

Right folks, I'm currently seriously considering taking the plunge and buying a jeep in the coming months so I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with these jeeps to give me an honest opinion on them.

Little bit of background as to why the choice - currently drive an estate who's back seats have seen passenger asses 3 times in the year I've had it. Most commonly it has 1 dog crate (holding 2 dogs) and a 3rd dog on the seat beside the crate attached via harness/seatbelt adapter thingie. Myself and my wife have also recently bought ourselves an 18ft caravan, and while the estate manages to tow it just fine, we'd both like something a little more effortless for the towing.

We also go to a good few dog shows, some of which involve wild caravaning (parked in fields etc.) so it'd be re-assuring to have a 4x4 to make sure we never get caught out should there be a typical Irish monsoon.

I wouldn't object to the bigger tyre/wheel combination meaning that my active participation in pot-hole dodging would come to an end either :rolleyes:

So far I've worked out that the tax would save me nearly €300 a year and insurance is also about €100 a year less. I know a 3.2 diesel is going to be a good bit thirstier than my current car, but all things considered I don't think it'd actually be much more expensive (if at all) to run over the course of a year.

Final thing to consider - I do about 30k miles yearly, so I'd like something that isn't going to break my back either when doing that much driving.

Reason I'm considering the Pajero is that
    (a) I like the look of it and the spec
    (b) It doesn't seem to be as overpriced as the equivalent LandCruiser
    (c) Aside from the reported flywheel issue it appears to be a reliable enough machine
    (d) No timing belt change every 2 years :D
    (e) Any reports I've read rate it highly as a tow-vehicle

So thoughts, opinions, criticisms ... fire ahead please.

Have joined the UK Pajero owners club to try help my homework, but the Mk5 doesn't seem to be anywhere near as common as the Mk2 so I'm finding it hard to learn anything about them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You've thought out the need for a 4x4 well, makes a change from the "I fancy a jeep, what can I buy for 50c, will it do 40+mpg?" sort of question :rolleyes:

Hopefully one of the jap experts will come along but have a look through the last couple of pages, there's been a few threads on the good and bad points on various vehicles.

DMFs are a sad fact of life on many vehicles, at least you're aware of it. I wouldn't put your pothole dodging activities totally off, there's stll a heap of bushes in any 4x4 suspension but at least they're bigger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Thanks Sean - got a giggle out of that :D

Have tried searching on here for more info but anything I've found seems to relate more to the SWB version which people knock (understandably IMO) for poor loadspace in the back.

Fair point on the suspension bushes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Top Dog, you certainly have done your homework. Expect around 25-ish MPG on average when not towing. You can avoid the flywheel issues by going for an automatic. As for suspension issues, mine is only now likely to need a few bushes after 105K miles of getting the hole driven off it on rough roads.
    They're an excellent towing machine too: I regularly tow a 12ft cow box or a 12ft flat trailer with no issues. I wouldn't worry about tyres being expensive, as you can buy the standard 16" tyres for around €100, or a bit more for BF Goodrich T/A 's.

How would an auto fare with towing (never owned an auto before - have driven, but only for a little while)? Would there not be less help from the engine braking?

105k with the hole driven off it sounds good :D

And tyres similar in price to what I'm currently paying so not near as bad as I was fearing at all. Are the tyres on the 18" Warrior wheels much more expensive over the more common 16's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

avoid the 2.5 go for the 3.2 you wont regret it,

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    How would an auto fare with towing (never owned an auto before - have driven, but only for a little while)? Would there not be less help from the engine braking?

105k with the hole driven off it sounds good :D

And tyres similar in price to what I'm currently paying so not near as bad as I was fearing at all. Are the tyres on the 18" Warrior wheels much more expensive over the more common 16's?

I've never driven an auto when towing,so I can't comment on that score, but I know 2 people who have gone for automatic Land Cruisers and are very happy with them. I haven't a clue about 18" tyres but typical prices for 16's are around €100-120 for Dunlop road tyres or €170 for BF Goodrich A/T's and 17" Bridgestone road tyres are also around €170.
    I would second the recommendation to avoid 2.5's, but it's not really relevant as all LWB's are 3.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I've had acouple of Pajeros and never had one problem, the current one (an 06) I've put up 130k in 2 1/2/ years and it's flying. As for economy I never get less than 30mpg except towing which I think I've done 2 or 3 times. I find it comfortable to having done 600 or 700 miles (one tank full) in a day a few times with no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I drive an auto Range Rover and to be honest auto is much better for towing. Also RR only come in auto. As for engine breaking dont worry it's fine and the auto will lower gears itself.

I'd stay away from the manual and get the auto, much nicer to drive and it's BETTER!!!

Simple,
    dont mean to hurt the feelings of any manual heads out there!

:D

Thanks for all the input folks - ye've given me a good bit to think about.

Also looks like I may have been a little hasty in ruling out the auto option so might have to see if I can sort out some test-drives now in the near future and go from there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

avoid the 2.5 go for the 3.2 you wont regret it,

Sorry to cut in on the thread, just wondering why you advise against the Mitsubishi 2.5 engine? Is it that it has a lot more mechanical problems than the 3.2 or is it that you feel that it is under powered??

• Advertisement

Hi Reilig, I know you directed this to another poster, but I'm usually fairly vocal in opposition to the 2.5
    I have only experienced it on test drives in SWB Pajeros and brief spins in a Sport my brother used to own. I found it to be a slow, underpowered, noisy disappointment of an engine. Stepping from a 3.0 Trooper to a 2.5 Pajero, you'd feel like you had to get out and push. Having driven a 3.2, my mind was made up. Just my opinion, of course, doctors differ and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

reilig wrote: »
    Sorry to cut in on the thread, just wondering why you advise against the Mitsubishi 2.5 engine? Is it that it has a lot more mechanical problems than the 3.2 or is it that you feel that it is under powered??

both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

both

What type of mechanical problems have you had with the 2.5 ??

Advertisement