Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which smartphone on Three

Options
  • 09-06-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on a new phone. I'll be joining 3, probably on the Relax 150 price plan. At the moment I use the phone mainly for calls with some texting. Photographs would be occasional, although this may increase if the camera quality was impressive enough. My GPS has just packed it in so would be looking for GPS functionality, preferably with maps pre-loaded so as to avoid problems when driving in rural areas without 3G coverage. I think I'll be taking the plunge with a touchscreen also! Wifi would be nice but that said I'm not sure I'll use it that much so it's not essential.

Over the years I have always regretted it anytime I strayed from Nokia, particularly when texting. However many of the posts here seem to give the impression that I should stay away from Nokia. The free navigation is tempting though.

My budget is somewhat limited and I have come up with the following shortlist:
    Nokia 5230 - free with 12 month contract
    Nokia X6 - €19 with 18 month contract
    Samsung Spica - €19 with 12 month contract

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially if anyone has experience of more than one of these handsets. Thanks all in advance :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not the Nokia's got for an android, the desire should be in shops shortly, I might be worth holding on a few days for it....

Spica and Experia are very nice phones, the Spica is nicer to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 3sam

the spica has awful touchscreen mate - i would pick the 5230 over the other 2 - i have sent you a pm..

3sam wrote: »
    the spica has awful touchscreen mate - i would pick the 5230 over the other 2 - i have sent you a pm..

Your kidding right? 5230 would be a waste when your going on relax

Your kidding right? 5230 would be a waste when your going on relax

elaborate??

I think the spica is nice but it will drive you ****ing crazy... i promise you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Consider the Sony X10 mini android, for only €29 on 150/18 mon

Also the Samsung Wave for €49. This is a bit risker, as no one really knows how the new Bada OS will turn out as regards app availability. Good hardware though.

Ix.

• Advertisement

3sam wrote: »
    elaborate??

I think he means (and I would agree) that if you are going to go on a contract anyhow, then you should try to get a highly specced phone with the discounts that are available. You can get the 5230 PAYG fairly cheaply anyhow, but for example the Samsung wave would be over 300 PAYG. But on Relax 150 the prices are free versus 29.

Ix.

ixtlan wrote: »
    I think he means (and I would agree) that if you are going to go on a contract anyhow, then you should try to get a highly specced phone with the discounts that are available. You can get the 5230 PAYG fairly cheaply anyhow, but for example the Samsung wave would be over 300 PAYG. But on Relax 15 the prices are free versus 49.

Ix.

wave > the above phones

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks all for your comments. I reckon if I'm going to stray from Nokia it would be to one of the android phones, which rules out the Samsung wave and some of the Sony Ericssons. I had a look at the X10 mini. It looks good alright. The only fear I'd have with it is texting. I have big fingers, and reckon texting on it would be a bit of a nightmare. Can anyone who has used one comment?

tipperary wrote: »
    I have big fingers

The proper X10 is worth a look then, my problem with it is my fingers aren't big enough, the screen is huge, the battery life is not great either but for a screen like that you have to make some Sacrifice.

If I was going to get a touchscreen at the moment i'd be holding off for the htc desire which should be out by the end of the month or very early july. And once july comes you might want to hold out for the iphone 4.

At the moment and because of your big hands, the x10 would be the pick of the bunch. It's really quick on the internet and is very good at pricking up 3G signal. The only question is can you put up with the battery life.

The problem with the X10 is the price on three. For some strange reason it is not getting the same level of discount as the other phones.

• Advertisement

It's cheap on 18mt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BigAliens

Thanks all for your comments. I reckon if I'm going to stray from Nokia it would be to one of the android phones, which rules out the Samsung wave and some of the Sony Ericssons. I had a look at the X10 mini. It looks good alright. The only fear I'd have with it is texting. I have big fingers, and reckon texting on it would be a bit of a nightmare. Can anyone who has used one comment?

Ive had a go on it and i think the space theyve givin for the keypad is fine for comfortable use even if u have big fingers. gettin used to a touchscreen mite be ur only issue as not everyone likes texting on them

Yeah, the proper X10 would be costing me €299 on an 18 month contract. Looks like a good phone but it would need to be able to wash the dishes to let me justify that price!

Does anyone have any idea how much the XTC Desire will be when it comes out?

Yeah, the proper X10 would be costing me €299 on an 18 month contract. Looks like a good phone but it would need to be able to wash the dishes to let me justify that price!

Does anyone have any idea how much the XTC Desire will be when it comes out?

€149 on 18mth and €279 on 12 mth

BigAliens wrote: »
    €149 on 18mth and €279 on 12 mth
    Is that on the Relax 350 plan? I'm planning on going with the Relax 150 plan as it should cover all my usage.

Is that on the Relax 350 plan? I'm planning on going with the Relax 150 plan as it should cover all my usage.

relax 150

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

htc desire is in the carphone wearhouse on 3 from 79 bill pay and 399 prepay. its not on 3 website but then again the cpw dont have the nokia x6 on 3 and its on the 3 website lol

sean1141 wrote: »
    htc desire is in the carphone wearhouse on 3 from 79 bill pay and 399 prepay. its not on 3 website but then again the cpw dont have the nokia x6 on 3 and its on the 3 website lol

Sean

Just checked the carphone warehouse website but couldn't find it. Presumably it's in the shops only. Do you know how much it is on the Relax 150 plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

there website is pretty crap. i seen it on the shelf but all it said was from 79 on bill pay 349 on best of both and 399 on 3pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Diamonddec

...Sony Ericssons.... I had a look at the X10 mini. It looks good alright. The only fear I'd have with it is texting. I have big fingers, and reckon texting on it would be a bit of a nightmare. Can anyone who has used one comment?

Hi, I live in the North and was looking at the X10 mini myself on friday. It is small and although the touch screen text was just about OK for me, I think that I will wait for the "pro" version (which has a slide out qwerty keyboard) which should be out in the next week or two. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement