Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Mayfly?? or JuneFly ;-)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

what a waste of two beautiful fish, disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

okedoke wrote: »
    what a waste of two beautiful fish, disgusting.

they were dinner..

are you sadistic enough to go fishing and not keep a fish for the pot... sure what is the point in going fishing ...if you do that...

so do you tell all the people that shoot to release the pheasant after its been peppered???? LMAO

Does one not appreciate the reality of fishing?????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

ah the catch and release argument yet again,yawn.
    maybe start a new thread for it????.

@ dry fly they where some cathes and well done on them,whatever your views on catch and release are,i dont want to get into all that again,but maybe just cut the video at the point of ye knocking them on the head if your going to post it up on forums,maybe videos might get a more positive response.
    just a simple observation.
    cheers.

ps ,two fish aint all that bad if you release the rest.

cj salmon wrote: »
    ah the catch and release argument yet again,yawn.
    maybe start a new thread for it????.

@ dry fly they where some cathes and well done on them,whatever your views on catch and release are,i dont want to get into all that again,but maybe just cut the video at the point of ye knocking them on the head if your going to post it up on forums,maybe videos might get a more positive response.
    just a simple observation.
    cheers.

ps ,two fish aint all that bad if you release the rest.

some people appreciate seeing the full video... but dont complain about seeing it... maybe if people liked the reality they should complain about how much they liked it....LOL

i only got 1- 5LB 2- 4.5lb 4- 3LB-3.5LB and a few 2+...the rest were small.... but i did do a week in may and a week in june...

only killed 6 trout this year on the corrib

by the way ... i tried perch for the first time this year and they are yummyyyyy.... they are like small bass....mmmmmmmmmmmm... ill be killing them all yum yum.....make a big Vat of chouder out of them, also it will make space for trout to feed... they seem to have invaded areas on the lake that they were not before in big numbers....

if anyone on the Corrib catches a perch ...please kill it... and if big enough... bake it...and if small and you have a few make chouder... and if you dont like killing fish... or eating fish...kill them anyway.....perch are taking over the lake.............

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

some people appreciate seeing the full video... but dont complain about seeing it... maybe if people liked the reality they should complain about how much they liked it....LOL

???????????????????????????????????????????

i was in no way opening a debate,was pointing out to you why your videos get a great response from people who support conservation.
    thats it really ,i couldnt give a flying f""k what you do in fairness.
    i never even looked at your videos this time as i have no time for you to b honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Good catch, well done. And once again, nice trolling to try and get a response off people ... / yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

i tried perch for the first time this year and they are yummyyyyy.... they are like small bass....mmmmmmmmmmmm... ill be killing them all yum yum.....make a big Vat of chouder out of them, also it will make space for trout to feed... they seem to have invaded areas on the lake that they were not before in big numbers....

if anyone on the Corrib catches a perch ...please kill it... and if big enough... bake it...and if small and you have a few make chouder... and if you dont like killing fish... or eating fish...kill them anyway.....perch are taking over the lake.............

They are a delight in fairness. Grilled in the oven it is delicious with a garlic butter or shallot&vinegar butter- i would recommand to put some fennel leaves in the belly when grilling it. As good as sea bass ! And i know my french cooking ;)
    So underrated fish in Ireland- they can be so fun to fish when you hit the schoal but if you release one they will all flee together as a herd of sheeps so if you catch then keep it otherwise change spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I hope you didn't kill your small Bass.

And don't be asking people to go around killing perch just for the heck of it. Perch have natural population explosions and die offs and anyway controlling populations should be left to experts.
    Now the Bream problem on Corrib, that might need serious looking into. There isn't a bay or a reef on Corrib where there aren't a few Perch, I'm surprised you think they are taking over the lake as its been like this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

by the way ... i tried perch for the first time this year and they are yummyyyyy.... they are like small bass....mmmmmmmmmmmm... ill be killing them all yum yum.....make a big Vat of chouder out of them, also it will make space for trout to feed... they seem to have invaded areas on the lake that they were not before in big numbers....

I'm not a coarse angler, but your attitude is disgusting, not to mention encouraging illegal behaviour. Perch go through natural cycles of boom and bust, just because there are a lot of them at the moment you think its ok to kill lots of them? :rolleyes:
    There is a byelaw which prohibits killing any perch or coarse fish over 25cm, or killing more than 4 under this size in any day. You have some neck on you saying to kill them all, make chowder with a few small ones etc. I'm no fan of perch or pike, but encouraging illegal behaviour on a public forum that is read by coarse anglers also just smacks of elitism - "the fish I target are more important than the fish you target". It also displays extreme stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

DryFlyFishing , you have some balls....Posting that tripe on here....

• Advertisement

It's obvious he's trying to evoke a response from people. Just ignore him.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm not a coarse angler, but your attitude is disgusting, not to mention encouraging illegal behaviour. Perch go through natural cycles of boom and bust, just because there are a lot of them at the moment you think its ok to kill lots of them? :rolleyes:
    There is a byelaw which prohibits killing any perch or coarse fish over 25cm, or killing more than 4 under this size in any day. You have some neck on you saying to kill them all, make chowder with a few small ones etc. I'm no fan of perch or pike, but encouraging illegal behaviour on a public forum that is read by coarse anglers also just smacks of elitism - "the fish I target are more important than the fish you target". It also displays extreme stupidity.

it is called culling.... maybe you think deer should not be culled to???????

illegal behaviour... who introduced that fish into the corrib in the first place.........

well the perch are going to stunt the natural fish growth of the corrib...

must say the amount of very small fish this year was unbelievable... never seen anything like it before... it was like fishing another lake in the mountains....

perch have natural population growths... from boom to bust... but why let that happen.. why not maintain the population at a proper level... a balance.....

ups a balance.... never heard someone in Ireland say that word before... maybe the economy would be in a healthy state if people looked for balance.....

boom to bust..... like our economy... what do you think is goign to happen to the trout...hhhmmmmmmmm i say bust....

byelaw ...smylaw....most of the laws in ireland have been made by idiots who never fished a day in there lives.... or pass laws to get votes....and know nothing about what they are doing.... its ireland remember... full of prats....who say lets go for boom to bust...not a balance

and a forum is for people to share opinions... so take it or leave it.... ill be choudering .... but only on the Corrib...

Why not net the excess Corrib perch and stock the canals and lakes and rivers that have been poached out of it....with those fish...... this will fix two problems at once....... well loads of problems...... tourism ...money.....fishing... etc....

the byelaw was made for all of Ireland... and does not have the flexibility to deal with invasions of perch...and the end result of what this is going to cause......

every lake or river system should be treated like one economy... or individual ecosystem.... not a general Bylaw to rule them all... o god i forgot we voted YES To Nice .... bet you YES people feel like prats now.... does anyone believe the count on that... why were pencils used to mark your X.. instead of pens.....

would anyone like to set up a count on here to see how many voted YES and how many voted NO.... bet the NO count is higher..... it would be quite interesting to see.... unless you still believe what your government or big business tells you in the media...........

stylie wrote: »

And don't be asking people to go around killing perch just for the heck of it. Perch have natural population explosions and die offs and anyway controlling populations should be left to experts.
    Now the Bream problem on Corrib, that might need serious looking into. There isn't a bay or a reef on Corrib where there aren't a few Perch, I'm surprised you think they are taking over the lake as its been like this for years.

it has not been like this for years... a bay or reef with a few???? more like all of the corrib and there is not a few, there are shoals of hundreds... it is packed now... and the perch have moved into areas that they were not in before... deeper spots...looking for food... taking food from the other fish... why do you think the average trout was very small this year... they are not growing as quick...

stylie wrote: »

nope only kill one bass a day... and usually about 5lb+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

tripe is too good a word for it.............

BoarHunter wrote: »
    They are a delight in fairness. Grilled in the oven it is delicious with a garlic butter or shallot&vinegar butter- i would recommand to put some fennel leaves in the belly when grilling it. As good as sea bass ! And i know my french cooking ;)
    So underrated fish in Ireland- they can be so fun to fish when you hit the schoal but if you release one they will all flee together as a herd of sheeps so if you catch then keep it otherwise change spot.
    mmmmmmmmm my mouth is watering :)

hay BoarHunter.... you ever shoot a boar... what you use... crossbow or rifle... it has been something iv wanted to do for ages... open fire roasting boar.......mmmmmm

tripe is too good a word for it.............

Tripe .... hhhmmmmmm.....

lets put all the perch from the corrib into sheelin....... by the way this is a joke.... for anyone that does not know....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Perch aren't just tasty for us humans, but bigger trout and of course pike are quite fond of them too. I'd be willing to bet that most big trout in Corrib have enjoyed more than one tasty perch. If there has been a population explosion of perch, it's most likely due to there being a shortage of their predators, i.e. pike (is there still gill netting on corrib/mask?) and larger trout (overfishing?). But, if the trout don't get hammered too hard in the meantime, having a ready supply of stripy meat could lead to some very good trout fishing in a season or two.

I'm off to Lough Mask next week, I'll be bringing some perch imitation lures in case the situation is the same there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

there seems to be a explosion of perch in a lot of loughs this year,, i have seen loads of them a lot more than in recent years and some big ones too..................these things go in cycles...the zebras don't seem to have affected them......

stevenmu wrote: »
    Perch aren't just tasty for us humans, but bigger trout and of course pike are quite fond of them too. I'd be willing to bet that most big trout in Corrib have enjoyed more than one tasty perch. If there has been a population explosion of perch, it's most likely due to there being a shortage of their predators, i.e. pike (is there still gill netting on corrib/mask?) and larger trout (overfishing?). But, if the trout don't get hammered too hard in the meantime, having a ready supply of stripy meat could lead to some very good trout fishing in a season or two.

I'm off to Lough Mask next week, I'll be bringing some perch imitation lures in case the situation is the same there :)

plenty of big predators to keep a certain number in there bellies...

it only took me 20 minutes to fly catch a pike on the corrib when the wind came up at dusk and the buzzer stopped....so no trout....

one of the tiny bays i go into on a sunny day you can see several pike herding the perch into a corner....the pike wait until the perch get disturbed and move and hit them.....

even if one took half the perch out of the lake there would be still too much perch in it..... and still to much food for big fish.... the problem is the perch are competing for nymphs with the small trout.......+

well when you nymph fish and you start pulling in 4 perch at a time... things are getting out of hand....

• Advertisement

And why are trout better than other fish? The perch can eat the fry/nymphs if they want to. It's not your choice.

Where are the mods when you need them! Boar hunting on the fishing forums! - Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fishder

Dry Fly you must come from the west off ireland they are a bit behind in their way off thinking over there kill everything that you catch, and we give out about fns what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

fishder wrote: »
    Dry Fly you must come from the west off ireland they are a bit behind in their way off thinking over there kill everything that you catch, and we give out about fns what a joke.
    WTF are you on about? Generalisations like that really get on my nerves. If you want to have a go at the op muppet please feel free but to insult a whole region ???

Chuileog wrote: »
    WTF are you on about? Generalisations like that really get on my nerves. If you want to have a go at the op muppet please feel free but to insult a whole region ???

Hes not far wrong to be honest , some of the people i have come across when fiashing in mayo would amaze you with what comes out of their mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Well I'm from the west and fish prob 99% c&r, when I do take fish it would be 3/4lbrs from a Lough that's stuffed. All my mates would put most of their fish back as well.

Well I'm from the west and fish prob 99% c&r, when I do take fish it would be 3/4lbrs from a Lough that's stuffed. All my mates would put most of their fish back as well.

Fair play dude , more like you are needed.

I agree, I have met some mad people from the west who kill everything that lives, especially all trout :(

But I have also met some of the soundest guys down there who are 100% for conservation with salmon and trout and release all of their catch.

Absolutley no problem with the odd fish here and there, it's those who kill everything. Like DFF. Look at the left of the screen there are a few dead trout there when he's chapping the one he caught :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

shblob wrote: »
    Absolutley no problem with the odd fish here and there, it's those who kill everything. Like DFF. Look at the left of the screen there are a few dead trout there when he's chapping the one he caught :rolleyes:

LOL the other 2 fish were not mine... my fishing partner was point fishing ....LOL...

and by the way i only killed 6 trout from the corrib... and released everything except perch... mmmmmmmmmm perch..........mmmm Chowder...... mmmm perch chowder gooooood

Advertisement