Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to get into photography

• 09-06-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Okay so basically I want to get into photography and eventually set up my own website.
    All I know about photography is that a camera takes pictures ( Now your laughing) but its true.
    Please tell me how to get into photography, what camera I need, where to get it, Etc. Etc.
    thanks in advance.
    howsshecuttin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I think it would be wise for you to tell us what sort of photos you want to take, what sort of budget you have, and what experience/knowledge you have.

If a complete new starter, I would start out with a 2nd hand entry level DSLR, like a Canon 400D, or Nikon D40, then get out there and try it out without spending loadsa cash.

You might find that it's not as easy as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Okay so basically I want to get into photography and eventually set up my own website.
    All I know about photography is that a camera takes pictures ( Now your laughing) but its true.
    Please tell me how to get into photography, what camera I need, where to get it, Etc. Etc.
    thanks in advance.
    howsshecuttin

Not again! Who is it this time?

howsshecuttin Just look through the hole at the back of the camera
    and then press the small button on top.

See item #1 in the FAQ
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243345

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

I would love to take nature photos and maybe a little bit of sport.
    The budget is as cheap as possible.

hbr wrote: »

See item #1 in the FAQ

I've read through that. What camera do you reccomend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

What type of budget do you have? Are you willing to buy second hand?

• Advertisement

OREGATO wrote: »
    What type of budget do you have? Are you willing to buy second hand?

What type of budget do you have?
    200-300 quid
    Are you willing to buy second hand?
    yes as long as its reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

200-300 quid

I take it that you'd be wanting to go for something along the lines of a DSLR and not just a regular point and shoot? For that kind of budget I'd probably recommend that you get a bridge camera or else go for a second hand DSLR..

If you could stretch your budget a bit, it might help.

OREGATO wrote: »
    I take it that you'd be wanting to go for something along the lines of a DSLR and not just a regular point and shoot? For that kind of budget I'd probably recommend that you get a bridge camera or else go for a second hand DSLR..

If you could stretch your budget a bit, it might help.

Put it this way, not just a digital camera, something up from that.
    by how much its possible.

I was just researching there and came across this: http://www.photoxels.com/canon-xs-1000d.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

200-300 quid

I think another 100 and it will make a lot of difference with what you get.

Best bet is to go for Canon or Nikon as there will be far more gear for 2nd hand sales.

• Advertisement

mrboswell wrote: »
    I think another 100 and it will make a lot of difference with what you get.

Best bet is to go for Canon or Nikon as there will be far more gear for 2nd hand sales.

What do you think of the above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Both Nikon and Canon are considered quality camera's and have excellent beginner levels.

As for the other question - like the_tractror said, it really is not as easy as it looks. It takes a lot of practice, time and money (investment wise) to obtain the level to refer to yourself as a photographer that provides quality images (in regards to technical knowledge, composition, image quality, etc.)

If you intend to make a quick buck out of it - I'm afraid that's very to hard achieve, and it most certainly will not be a quick process.

If however, it is out of an interest for photography/art or perhaps a hobby (photographing your favourite sport or cars for instance), the best advice I have is to read through all the FAQ's as posted by HBR, get photography related books and read loads of online tutorials. It is one thing knowing your camera - and that's just the start. After that comes processing and printing, which both require an entire set of new skills to be learned.

You'll find that once you get your hands on a decent camera - it doenst even have to be a DSRL, you'll find out if you actually enjoy the photographing experience and hopefully have fun along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

before you buy! Borrow

even if it is a point and shoot camera bridge camera it's fine. Your biggest problem is not the camera and quality of colours or sharpness of lens.... to use a car analogy you are not a rally driver yet so don't waste your money on a specially equipped subaru when a toyota will do..... ( ohh I must remember that one for the future :D)

get any camera and go shoot like a monkey, shoot and shoot. anything that catches your eye, then go home and delete all that "do not talk to YOU"

forget others or what you think is acceptable.

Look at those left then look for the mistakes and go shot those subjects or similar again and try to eliminate the mistakes. do this a few times, then ask here for advice when you cannot figure out how to eliminate the errors, don't ask though till you have tried a few things yourself after researching on the net.

Starter tips.

keep the sun over or on your shoulder for now but make sure your shadow isn't in the frame via the viewfinder

Don't stand , this is how you see the world and are used to it, test this first, shot anything then do it again from a ladder and by crouching.

ideally if the borrowed camera has a viewfinder option use that at all times. lcd's are Evil

shoot on automatic to start. all the apeture shutter speed stuff will come later as you try to eliminate mistakes.

If you meet other photographers who look like they know what they are doing, ask them for tips ( we are all self confessed experts... except me I was annointed an expert by the pope of Ely :P)

abuse your friendships. they all have a certain level of tolerance, use it to learn, make them pose etc etc. get their input, it will spark ideas.

have fun, if it ain't a buzz after a while, try something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

When I was saying remove the mistakes and keep trying to do so. I did not mean learn how to photoshop them away..... skip that except for cropping. learn to use the camera first. avoid until you know how to remove most mistakes. it is the same is film. remove most mistakes in the field then you are left with less work to do in the darkroom.

learn the song of the wise.

"Photoshop is evil, photoshop is evil, phtoshop is for the dumb
    oh ****, wedding shot and eeek! blocking the shot is my thumb
    not to worry I know photoshop I can solve this as it saves the dumb"

This was from the 1999 Bob Dylan Album: Saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Take a look on adverts.ie and you will find yourself some good second hand DSLRs and good deals.

I would advise borrowing one unless you are completely sure you want one and it does take a little bit to get used to the controls and creative options you have (but well worth it).

Apart from that if you are buying second hand ask how many actuations* the camera has before buying as this is like the mileage on a car in terms of the expected lifetime of the camera.

*Actuations are when the shutter mechanism "fires" or cycles when the camera takes a photo, the shutter system is a delicate piece of equipment and has a rough expected lifetime depending on the camera body.
    consumer level bodies of older cameras would have expected lifetimes of 25-50K roughly and although newer ones are better they are around ~50-100k (higher for the profressional lines)

good luck :)

Simplicius wrote: »
    ideally if the borrowed camera has a viewfinder option use that at all times. lcd's are Evil

I've never understood the LCD hatred. :confused: My Olmypus E-420 has 'live view' and, although I do use the viewfinder 95% of the time, I never have any issues with the LCD.

OP; I got a Canon 20D with an 18-55 kit lens for €230. I seen a similar setup going for a similar price before, too. Great DSLR in my opinion. Definitely go second hand, but make sure it's all in working order before you part with money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know most people here disagree but I'd say start with a bridge camera- something like the Panasonic FZ-38.
    Not great for sport but as a starter camera it's great-
    massive zoom
    macro (good for nature)
    small-ish
    very good all rounder. If after a while you still decide you 'want to get into photography' you can sell it (for a good price) and get a dslr if you want.

dslr has better IQ (but that's probably not a concern at this stage), is quicker (better for sport), better for background blur/bohek (again for a starter probably not a big deal as you're happy just 'getting into photography' and taking general shots).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

hbr wrote: »

See item #1 in the FAQ

Another post like this and you will not be posting here for very long.

Try and be polite to newbies. This is just such an overly sarky post that I really get weary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Calina wrote: »
    Try and be polite to newbies. This is just such an overly sarky post that I really get weary.

That's no newbie. I reckon it's a carefully crafted windup.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

thanks in advance.
    howsshecuttin

Surely a piss take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

What do you think of the above?

I'm Canon but Nikon are obviously up there too ;)
    Might be more 2nd Canon gear around but there is more and more Nikon gear coming up. As someone already posted Adverts.ie is good for 2nd hand gear.

I have to agree with Simplicius, as if you get the opportunity to borrow or even use someone's equipment will give you a feel of which camera you like best, the camera menu's etc.

Happy hunting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I've never understood the LCD hatred. :confused: My Olmypus E-420 has 'live view' and, although I do use the viewfinder 95% of the time, I never have any issues with the LCD.

OP; I got a Canon 20D with an 18-55 kit lens for €230. I seen a similar setup going for a similar price before, too. Great DSLR in my opinion. Definitely go second hand, but make sure it's all in working order before you part with money.

You are more stable when looking into the viewfinder then with your arms out looking in the LCD Screen.

But yeah, go for a good second hand model, and steer clear of the very basic entry level models - like the Canon EOS 1000D, Get the likes of a 400D, and the 30D, they are both reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I was just researching there and came across this: http://www.photoxels.com/canon-xs-1000d.html

A better option for a novice could be a decent compact or bridge camera.

I started with a Canon G9, used that for 2 years before getting an DSLR.
    Didn't regret it. It has full manual mode, so it is great for learning the basics.

And in good light/daytime, it takes shots on a par with an entry level DSLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

iv only just got a fz28 bridge camera(literally just got it)
    they take better photos then digital cameras and allow you more controll over them if your getting a brindge get a panasonic fz28 0r 38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

iv only just got a fz28 bridge camera(literally just got it)
    they take better photos then digital cameras and allow you more controll over them if your getting a brindge get a panasonic fz28 0r 38

I've posted this before but this guy has some good postings on the 28/38, worth a read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

thats a good read to.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

thefly wrote: »
    Surely a piss take

my sentiments exactly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JuliePhotoArt

Simplicius wrote: »
    get any camera and go shoot like a monkey, shoot and shoot. anything that catches your eye, then go home and delete all that "do not talk to YOU"

Gerat advice!
    I would add: try to shoot in different light conditions and time of the day.
    Light means a lot in a shot quality.

1st of all, This is'nt a piss take.

so many of you are pointing out different cameras and I am really confused. Your advice is great but I'm just starting and I literelly don't have a clue whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what prompted you to want to take up photography?

I saw somebodys website and I just taught i'd really like to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

breadbin wrote: »
    my sentiments exactly:)

Yup. Not a doubt!:D

Yup. Not a doubt!:D

I just came onto this site as i was told to. I cant believe you think i'm taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

On balance, I'm minded to strip this thread of the arguing over whether it's a mess up or not because strange as it may seem to those doubters, there is some practical information in here. Otherwise the thread would have been closed a day or two ago.

For the record I'd prefer people ignored posts they didn't like instead of trolling them.

OP, if you're interested in photography, stick around. YOu've had some good advice here

Advertisement