Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting over a month for monitor repair - entitled to refund?

Options
  • 09-06-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm not too well up on consumer rights and was hoping for some advice...

I bought a computer monitor from a well known Dublin city centre electronics store last October. The monitor went kaput a little over a month ago so I brought it back it back to the store for repair/replacement.

The monitor is currently with the manufacturer's repair centre in the UK - and has been for almost exactly a month now! Despite weekly calls, the Dublin store has been unable to provide me with any updates, and there's no indication as to when I can expect to get the monitor back. I am totally fed up with the situation and my patience has been exhausted at this stage.

Am I entitled, at this point, to insist on a refund from the store? Is there any legislation that supports me in this type of situation?

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

There (as far as I am aware) is no specific time set in Irish law for the repairs, but in general there is an assumption of a reasonable timeframe. The issue can be taken to the Small Claims Court (http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrentWebLookUpTopNav/Small%20Claims%20Procedure)

The law is detailed here. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/index.html
    With a more readable consumer version here http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Our-booklets/NCA-Sale-of-goods.pdf

If it were me, I would (in writing, and keep a copy) notify the retailer that they have had over a month with no updates, I will give them 10 working days to provide a return date or I will start court proceedings for a full refund through the SCC..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks for that. Very informative post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

write to them giving them ten days to return your monitor in fully working condition or a replacement or refund.

they have had long enough to sort this out and the report of it being in the uk repair centre could be bull it could well be sitting in the stores back room since you brought it back while the staff do nothing hoping you will get fed up and just buy a new one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

If the monitor is away for repair, then you have no right to demand any kind of refund. To be fair, 4 weeks is kind of at the limit of where most returns would come back. The retailer should be able to find out from the repair centre an approx return date for you, and if its really a need for you will more than likely offer you a monitor on loan to use until your own is returned. If they dont then i'd question their quality to be honest.

Advertisement