Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Guides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

tang1 wrote: »
    Try best as i can to help you:

Hole 1: Par five, try favour left hand of fairway wit drive, if u catch a big drive its reachable in 2.
    Hole 2: Straight away par 4, water to rite off tee if you play a fade, hidden dip before green makes 2nd longer than it looks.
    Hole 3: Par 4, 8 iron to corner off tee and same to green, more water to rite of green.
    Hole 4: Par 3 slightly up hill, plays bit longer than it looks.
    Hole 5: Longish par 4, try favour left side of fairway again, as fairway falls to the rite. 2nd shot is down hill to green if you drive far enough.
    Hole 6: Short par 4, leave driver in bag here,cause if your big hitter you'll reach pond in front of green. 3 wood and wedge gets you there.
    Hole 7: Shorter par 4 than 6, only 4 iron wedge to green, pond short of green again so easily reachable with more than 4 iron.
    Hole 8: Long par 4, best played with fade but dont stray to far rite into out of bounds, second could be as much as a utility depending on how long you hit it.
    Hole 9: Par 3, better long than short water all around front of green no more than 8 iron at any time.
    Hole 10: Par 5, straight down middle, water to rite of green if going for it in 2. More water to rite of fairway if laying up.
    Hole 11: Par 3 downhill, dont go left as its wet.
    Hole 12: Long par 4 uphill, fade suits again as fairway slopes to rite again. Hidden ditch to rite off tee if you go to far rite its just over bunker in view on rite.
    Hole 13: Par 5 with elevated tee shot, fade suits again off tee, hole goes around corner again from fairway to elevated green, hidden dip in fairway if you lay up in 2.
    Hole 14: Short par 4, 3 wood and wedge will get you there, stay away from hill and gorse on rite hand side.
    Hole 15: Par 4 around the lake, driver off tee, hard to get flat lie for second shot to an elevated green.
    Hole 16: Par 3 all over water and rushes, better long than short, can be anything off tee up to 4 iron depending on tee placement.
    Hole 17: Par 4 again, driver and wedge will get there, you could be blind with hill for second depending how far you hit it off tee.
    Hole 18: Par 5 to finish, depending on your drive its reachable in 2, but theres a pond to clear if you do decide to go for it. Its a 3 shotter if you hit a bad drive.

Course is in good nick and greens were pole forked few weeks back but there improving all the time. Hope this helps you take the money of the in-laws:D.

thanks tang1 your help came in very handy as we won by 2points! in are match up (mainly due to my other half's father having a tin cup moment on 18) have to say I loved the course the greens where in great nick and the tee boxes were perfect, if it wasn't a bit of a spin away I would really consider joining as it is fantastic value and a very nice track indeed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sorry if already posted, but just to keep everything on the one thread...

http://www.theheritage.com/upload/docs/The_Heritage_Course-Guide.pdf

thanks a million for this - am playing here for the first time saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

If you have not heard of or never played this course I would advise you try to play it at least once in your life. The course is good but the views are breathtaking. I doubt I will ever play a more scenic course in my life and combined with that it is a relatively tough test, especially the first nine when you have no idea what you are doing or where the flags are. It is a nine hole course played twice, with I think only two tee changes unless the three of us were totally blind and not seeing them. This is guide is based on my back nine where I had a good grasp of the course. This was the 12th and 15th. The following guide is based on my own hitting averages - driver c. 280 - 300 yards, 3 wood, 260 - 280 yards and so on.

1st - Blind hole. From the tee you will see two hills and a big gap in the middle. You need about 180 yards to get a view of the green A 3 wood will more or less bring you to the road and give you a nice 2nd shot. With a view of the green and depending on the direction of the wind you will know the club choice to make depending on your own lenghts. In my case it was another 3 wood into a huge wind.

2nd - Very straightforward. Drive as long as you can up the fairway and just make sure its slightly left to ensure a clear view of the green. Wind will again dictate the 2nd shot which for me was a sand wedge.

3rd - Blind hole. Hill straight in front you are aiming for SLIGHTLY right of centre. If you get it over the centre the ball will run nicely down the hill. Just clear the hill (its about 90 yards) and let the ball run. Very, very, very fast green which is well protected by bunkers. You need huge loft to ensure the ball drops heavy on it and to avoid it running of the green. Wind again dictates and with a strong right to left wind I went 9 iron and SW.

4th - Blind hole. You will again see a hill in front of you. Pick the very highest point and go slightly left of it. You are aiming for about 220 - 250 yards to give you a nice spot in the middle of the fairway. Green protected by two monster bunkers at the front and it slopes into the centre. Just aim for the front centre and you will be fine.

5th - Blind hole. You will see a white marker in the hill in front of you. Aim slightly right of this and you are aiming to have the ball dropping about 30 yards after that to give you a nice 2nd shot. Use a high loft club as it is very, very easy to drive through this green into the Atlantic Ocean which happened me on the front nine. Probably the easiest green on the course so any spot on it with your 2nd shot will give you a good shout at a par.

6th - Signature hole. One of the best holes I have every played and one I would love to have on every golf course I have played. From the tee to the small green, the only thing in between is the Atlantic Ocean. You will know by the wind what your club selection will be. For me it was a 9 iron but it could easily be a 3 wood to make 150 yards if the weather was against you. The green slopes back to you and their is tough bunkers to the left. Very tough so avoid at all costs. Just aim dead bang for the centre of the green and then enjoy the putting attempts on an extremely awkward green.

7th - Straightforward. Driver as far up the fairway as you can. 2nd shot on to a very nice and easy green.

8th - the other par 3. Easy hole again. Approx 210 yards onto a green you can clearly seen so work out your yardages and factor in the wind to pick your club. For me it was a 3 wood into a dying wind but it was still a little short.

9th - Blind shot. From the tee look for where the road dissapears. Aim for about 15 yards left of this and use a club that will go as close to 300 yards that you can. You will end up on a very large green or very close to it. No danger even if you miss it as there is plenty of room to work with.

Not a very long course but one that requires great course management and one I would recommend you try to play at least once in your life

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Playing Doonbeg for the first time Saturday. Anybody got any advice for me apart from bring lots of golf balls???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

thanks tang1 your help came in very handy as we won by 2points! in are match up (mainly due to my other half's father having a tin cup moment on 18) have to say I loved the course the greens where in great nick and the tee boxes were perfect, if it wasn't a bit of a spin away I would really consider joining as it is fantastic value and a very nice track indeed

Glad i was of some assistance to you RoomWrecker. Its a quality course alright, hidden gem that not to many people have heard of. Glad you enjoyed your round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 9holeg

Dines08 check out www.golfcoursevisualtour.com gives you an audio visual tour for free of Doonbeg and many more, go to live courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Cosmic Penguin

nocal wrote: »
    ok basic tips

Hole 1: Drive over white stick on crest of hill. Ball will roll left when it lands.
    Hole 2: Aim at the white rock or right of it for a much easier second shot.
    Hole 3: beware of the drain in the fairway. Second/Third shot is a little longer than it appears.
    Hole 4: Much better short of the green than over it. You get some carry due to the height of the tee but this is easily negated if you are playing into the breeze.
    Hole 5: The approach to the green is steep - you will not get up with too low a club. Safe option is to play to the corner and pitch up. If you can drive to the corner than grand and if not consider the safe option.
    Hole 6: Ball will move right when it lands so the line is towards the bunker if you are brave enough. Out of Bounds on the left. It is possible to drive this hole or through it if you hit long.
    Hole 7: The perfect drive here is a draw that lands on the right side of the fairway. Second shot will move right when it lands so best place to land it is the centre of the fairway.
    Hole 8: I reckon it plays about 10m shorter due to the carry of the hill.
    Hole 9: Aim for the left corner of the green - ball will move right. It is possible to drive this green. It is impossible to stop a chip on it. Land your approach short. Green is made of glass some days.
    Hole 10: Safe tee-shot is short of the gap but it is an uphill tee-shot.
    Hole 11: Approach shot is longer than it looks. It is exceptionally rare to be over the green.
    Hole 12: Land drive on the right side of fairway. To carry over the gorse is not that far - it looks worse than it actually is. Slippy green so approach shot should be below the pin.
    Hole 13: Probably the longest carry required for a tee shot but even short hitters will get it out if they hit it well. Just look at the fairway when on the tee.
    Hole 14: There is a marker on the fairway (white stick again I think) drive over it. Ball will move to left when it lands. Green slopes towards you so is quite receptive to high pitches but otherwise land your approach short of the green and let it run on. Much better off short here than long.
    Hole 15: If you are going to err then err to the right side - you can get some lovely bounces from here.
    Hole 16: With the approach you are better off short and in front of the green than the right distance and right of it.
    Hole 17. Aim towards the 11th tee and do not take too much club. Approach can be tricky but if running it in land on the hump in front of the left side of the green and land a little further in front of the green than you think.
    Hole 18: Aim at the men's locker room door off the tee. Green is slippy.
    Edit: If you are a long hitter aim more towards the other end of the clubhouse on the 18th.
    And do let us all know how you and your sherpa get on.

Thanks Nocal,

spot on advice. Unfortunately I was unable to capitalise as the sherpa didn't show, so I had to carry.

Sweet Lord, it's some walk! Amazing views and some v. nice holes

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

Thanks Nocal,

spot on advice. Unfortunately I was unable to capitalise as the sherpa didn't show, so I had to carry.

Sweet Lord, it's some walk! Amazing views and some v. nice holes

I did forget to mention to enjoy the views up there - some days it is all you can do!

It was a different course over the weekend though - the wind direction seemed to always be a hindrance rather than a help. It also seems to have dried the greens out and made them much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Moggaman wrote: »
    Any one got a course guide for portumna golf club?

Hey guys,

Playing here at the w/e - lil help ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

Lads, I am playing Powerscourt East for the first time this weekend coming. Anyone have any info on the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Suspicious Dave

playing knockanally for first time with the society on saturday, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 allstargaa

playing knockanally for first time with the society on saturday, any tips?

Played it at the weekend. Good course! The wind and rain was really affecting play when I was there so look forward to playing it again when it's a bit more summer like.

Quick few tips for anyone playing Knockanally...
    1. Be happy with a 5 on the first hole!
    2. The 4th is reachable off the tee if you're a reasonably long hitter.
    3. Don't take out your driver on the 6th. We all ended up in trouble from what seemed like an easy lay up. And there's water to the left of the green.
    4. The 12th green is lethal fast down the hill. And i mean lethal! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Anyone have anything on woodlands in kildare please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Anyone got any details on Fota Island (Deerpark) or Blarney course, as playing them later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 keanecm

Playing Lough Erne in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it! Never played there. Would very much appreciate any tips from someone who has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Woodbrook Golf Club Co.Wicklow.
    99963.jpg
    a156b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bazzmundo

Playing County Meath on Monday, any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The Island GC:

1) Longish par 4, drive down the left hand side of the fairway is best, virtually anything else can leave a blind 2nd shot. Slightly raised green with some small dunes around, not much in the way of trouble though. Most often seems to be into the wind.

2) Par 4, Tight fairway and a slight dog leg left, a draw is definitely best off the tee. Fairly short and a decent drive leaves a short over a fairway valley to the tiered green. Front slopes sharply back towards the fairway, 3 bunkers, over the back is absolutey horrible.

3) Par 4, out of bounds on left hand side, fairly thick rough on the right. Hidden bunker on left side of tiered green, but steep slope to right of green leaves tricky enough 3rd shot.

4)Par 4, slight dog leg left, depending on the wind can be a drive and a wedge or a drive and a 4 iron. Fairway bunker on left is reachable off the tee, 2 more bunkers on right side of green. Green is new and doesn't seem to hold as well as the others, I find landing it short and letting it run up is effective.

5) Par 4, short, blind tee shot. Aim for the stake. Very hilly fairway. Hidden bunker on left of green + visible on right. Green can be very tricky to read on longer putts, generally breaks towards 6th tee.

6) Short par 4, green tucked away behind large sand dune. 3 fairway bunkers (1 left, 2 right) invisble from tee. On a calm day it's an iron off the tee, then a short iron in. Dune on right side of green, will run off hill to left, so be accurate.

7)Long par 4, for me (wind dependent) it's a drive and mid/long iron. Down the left hand side of the fairway gives easiest approach. Hill from left to right approaching green, bushes to back and right of green. Left of green is another down hill, leaves a fairly tricky chip.

8) Short par 4 with break in the fairway, about a 4 iron off the tee does the job. Out of bounds on the right. Green sits in a bowl which is covered with very thick rough, but is only a short iron/wedge in.

9) Par 3, anything from a 7 iron to 4 iron for me depending on wind. 2 bunkers left, 2 bunkers right, out of bounds all along right side, big sand dune on left. Just hit it straight.

10) Par 5, reachable fairway bunkers off tee, out of bounds all down the right. Fairway takes a sharp turn right just before the green but hill will bring the ball around that way. 3 bunkers around green, being short is probably the worst place to be. Aim 2nd shot to left of green leaves easiest 3rd shot in.

11) Sort of blind tee shot, aim over the stake. Some tricky rough and gorse to left of green, bushes to right, hilly fairway approaching. If you're going to miss the green miss it short.

12) Long par 4, dogleg left. Big hitters aim over the hill to the left of the fairway, otherwise aim just to the right of it. A bad hook can end up in a resevoir. Fairly open to the right of the fairway but going right makes the hole very long. Fairway valley going up to the green, anything short will roll back way down but anything long might run off the hill at the back of the green leaving you on the green.

13) Long par 3, usually a long iron or 3 wood for me (wind again), out of bounds on the right, big grass bunker in front of the green. Aim at left side of green is best I reckon.

14)Very narrow and short par 4. Lateral hazard all down right side, anything slighty left will kick back onto fairway, further left can find nasty rough. Long and thin green, if pin is near the back take an extra club.

15) Nice par 5, wide fairway to go for but 2 fairway bunkers on left side. Fairway pinches then and can hide the green but the hole is dead straight. Large green protected by bunker.

16) Tricky par 3, couple of bunkers. Missing right is pretty horrible. In fact anything not straight risks losing a ball.

17) Par 4, slight dog leg left, 2 fairway bunkers are easily reachable. Lateral hazard beyond rough on right. I would strongly advise against missing the green on the right, to the left of the green is completely open and will often feed balls onto the green. Aim at left side of green for 2nd shot.

18) Nice par 4, big hills to the left and right of fairway so accuracy off the tee is very important, missing fairway again risks a lost ball. Bunker on right of green, green is very long and can be a club in the difference between the back and the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

1. Uphill drive, right half of fairway is slightly better. Take an extra club for the 2nd shot as it is uphill.

Take a fairway metal for position and aim for the first fairway bunker or be brave and take the dog-leg with driver, there's a suprising amount of space left of the tree on the dogleg.

2. Stay right with your drive as left will be blocked by trees. The 2nd shot is tight so unless you have a clear shot at the green it is better to lay up short on the flat ground.

This drive is all about position. I choke down on the driver and hit a high cut. Aim your second well left as the slope will bring it back to the fairway, plenty of trees and bunkers to catch you out on the RHS.

3. Tight drive.......don't miss right.

Again, the slope on the left will play back down to the fairway. The green runs away to the right down into a grass hollow. Long and left with your approach will be OB.

4. Par 3 with 40m drop to green. If it's 150m then pick your 150 yard club.

Wind makes a HUGE difference here. With no wind, I usually play two clubs more than the yardage. I've hit everything from a 52deg wedge to a 5 iron here depending on the wind!

5. Tight drive......use the slope on the right.

The big tree at the third red tee is your driving line. If your ball leaks left or right, it's best to reload as both sides are thick gorse.

6. Be careful of the burn at the bottom of the hill so stay well back from it.

Par 4, It's downhill and plays about 300yards to the green from the whites. There are trees either side but the best miss is on the right. A mid iron percentage play layup leaves you with a 90 yard wedge.

7. Par 3 - slightly uphill so take enough club.

All distances are to the centre. This is a long green, pay attention to the pin position as there are 2 clubs between front and back pins.

8. Long par 5. Stay left with drive and with 2nd shot (don't fire towards the green with your 2nd).

A big carry should catch the down slope with your drive. The lake on the RHS of the green comes into play if you go for it in 2. Take a club less with the downhill approach.

9. Tight fairway. Stay right as the slope on the left can gather your ball.

I'd disagree, take as tight a line as you dare. Drives heading anywhere right of the first fairway bunker will end up in the first-cut. There are plenty of grass mounds and hollows to give you a very awkward stance for your 140+ approach over a lot of bunkers. The safe layup is well left of the green if you find yourself in trouble. Much more space there than it seems and takes most bunkers out of play.

Macreddin GC -Back 9

10- par 4 -Slightly uphill, play one extra club onto the green.

Blind bunker on the right at approach.

11- par 4- 2 options , take the driver and aim for the mound and leave urself with sw or tee off with a hybrid onto the wider part of the fairway and then pw

Well right is safe but an awkward stance is to be expected. There's a prominent mound the same shape as the mountain in the background, this is your brave line. Driveable hole if the tees are forward.

12- par 4 - Tricky hole..if u a good 3 wood driver then take it out and place the ball in middle of the fairway, that will leave u with a straight and shorter 2nd shot possibly a 6-7iron. Too much of a driver will leave u a longer second shot possibly on a slope.

VERY easy to run out of space on this difficult par 4, index 1. Your line is the left edge of the bunker. Downhill so plays about 275 yards before you reach the bunker. Approaches low and left of the two pines in front of the green should play down towards the green with the slopes.

13 - par 5, play your second shot first. take a hybird and aim at the bunkers. Then a 3 wood into the green or layup

Solid advice. You may be blocked from going for it in two by the forest on the right if your ball is right on line with the bunkers. I've seen guys play this as a par-4 down the 12th fairway. Not advised for safety reasons!

14 - tricky par 3. if the flag at the back,aim for tree and try get some bounce from the slope behind the tree.

Kidney bean shaped green, don't be short and left when the pin is at the back unless you like putting through rough or happen to be Phil Mickelson!

15- par 5 - 2 sunday best shot to leave urself with a mid iron into the green. Aim towards the giant tree off the tee box.

Probably the toughest par 5 on the course. Theres a valley that runs to the left between the front and back of the green. Pay attention to the pin position - Three putt zone!

16- par 4 long - Aim for the bunker with a nice draw to leave urself with a mid iron/hybrid to the green.

There's a dip in front of the green that you can't see when you're facing downhill to the green. Low chasing shots will rarely make it onto the back to front sloping green.

17 - Par 3 - always one club longer to avoid the bunker and stream in front.

There's three elevations in the green, low on left third, higher in the centre and a bit lower on the right.

18 - par 4 - aim between the tree and bunker to leave urself a mid iron into the green..

Plays about 280yds to the water hazard, best take a fairway wood to take it out of play. Again theres a two club difference between the front and back of this green.

Word of caution - The back 9 requires good strategy of placing your ball, no point going john daly here...the course is much tighter than the front 9.

Added my two cents to the previous reviews.

http://macreddingolfclub.com/course/

^^ Virtual Flyover ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Suspicious Dave

Playing strandhill this weekend, I hear it is very tricks if you don't know where you're going. Anyone give me a hole-by-hole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

Playing St Margarets today, any course guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭esker man

Hoping to play one or two of these next week, any course tips appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Mitchelstown GC

Hole 1: Straightaway Par 5 434m. Driver away,OOB all the way right over the wall,stay left at all costs.Surprising the amount of slices OOB. Five wood to c100m clearing tree line on the left. Wedge in checking flag,sharp undulation running left to right mid green.Longer hitters can chase the green in 2 off the front tee.

Hole 2: Dogleg right Par 4 358m usually downwind.Driver to two copper trees at 120m,9 iron/wedge in. Flat green with a hidden bunker mid-left of green.

Hole 3: Par 3 126m. Transparent hole off the tee,err short if anything. Right leaves all sorts of trouble as green protected by 50 ft dense trees.

Hole 4.Par 4 340m. Good drive essential for par.Line is right of lone tree left of fairway @150m. Second over 25ft river to slightly elevated green.Long leaves a tricky downhill chip from under trees,short can be in the drink.Index 1 where par is a bonus

Hole 5. Par 4 358m. Driver line between two fairway bunkers @150m. 7 iron to two-tiered undulating green,bunker front right.

Hole 6. Par 5 455m. Aim left of fairway-bunker on hillside,longer hitters maybe over it. Lay up to 100m check flag first-back right position stay left on fairway.Chip to green staying left as it feeds downhill right with a tier front to back midway.

Hole 7. Par 4 353m. Drive right of fairway bunkers on left,leave downhill approach short to tricky green to hold. Long leaves a difficult par save.Index 2.

Hole 8.Par 5 450m. Drive over saplings on right of fairway and left of visible bunker. Second usually into a headwind to 100m middle of fairway.Left front of green protected by 4 bunkers.Wedge to left to right sloping green. Par a very good score in headwind.

Hole 9. Par 3 146m. Downhill into a headwind usually,can be a 4 club sway in club selection to receiving green between two bunkers at front. Long or left a no-no.

Hole 10. Par 5 445m. Drive to left of second fairway bunker @ c200m out,left OOB. 5 wood to lollipop line @ 60m opening up humpback green lengthways. Chip and put for birdie/par.

Hole 11. Par 3 150m. Uphill to long green so one or two extra clublength depending on wind. Left of green leaves a blind chip,right leaves a tricky lob over bunkers to downhill sloping green. Short and straight not the worst option.

Hole 12. Par 4 349m sharp dogleg right. 3-iron/5 wood to dogleg,mid-iron to narrow green which rises steeply backwards. All about the tee-box as OOB left and right.

Hole 13. Par 4 333m. Drive to a wide fairway which can be into a headwind. Mid-iron to left of green as right is water and can gather if a bit wayward.

Hole 14. Par 3 128m. Left is a long lateral water hazard,right dense trees. 7 or 8-iron to receiving green where a two putt is a good score.

Hole 15. Par 4 272m Dogleg right. Tight off the tees usually 3 or 5 wood to dogleg @ 110m. Over pond to long green front to back so can be a 2 club difference in selection.

Hole 16. par 4 314m Dogleg left. Longer hitters can hit trouble right,line is left edge of fairway on hilltop. Shorter hitters will have an awkward stance on the second to flat green which is hard to hold with slight bank at the front.

Hole 17. Par 3 175m uphill. Have seen driver off tee,easily a long iron for the big hitters to a large flat green. Left is OOB,short can yield par with no bunkers on the hole and a good chip.

Hole 18. Par 4 328m. Downhill drive,mainly downwind,which gathers right right of middle to valley @ 80m.Tough green to hit and hold,short leaves it run back down into the valley,very long can go OOB.Two bunkers at front leave a hard sand save. My favorite hole and signature hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Playing Lucan in Open singles on Monday. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

In answer to my own question, my observations on Lucan, which is a fine golf course, and great value at 15 euro every Tuesday open day singles.

1st: drive is straightforward, not much room right or left of the green, water on right, tree on left, short is fine

2nd: ball kicks left to right on fairway so aim up the left; you dont want to be above the hole (to the left of it) on the green as its mad fast left to right, it's easy to take a club too many as it is uphill so dont overdo it

3rd: aim for bridge in the distance, approach shot is one club less than the yardage, even to the back of the green

4th: its a flick or a wedge or a sand wedge

5th: short par 5, aim up the left

6th: short par 4, driver off the tee down the right or even over the dark trees might be the line. dont go long

7th: straightforward par 3

8th: blind drive, you might tend to hit too far right to trees as left is oob, but there is more room on left/fairway than u think

9th: straightforward

10th: dogleg left, aim down the left as right is dead

11th: straightforward

12th: short par 4, driver over the bridge leaves a chip

13th: tight driving hole so 3 wood/rescue an option as it is not long, thru the green is oob

14th: good long par 4, off a short drive you wont carry the gully 20 yards in front of green

15th: straightforward par 4, dont go left

16th: straightforward par 3

17th: par 5, play it as a par 5

18th: par 5, play it as a par 5, dont be tempted to go over the water on second shot as it leaves you with a tricky approach, whereas from just before the bridge you are 150 metres downhill iron to middle of green

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Su Campu wrote: »
    I made up my own strokesaver for Grange Castle using the site below. I hand drew each hole, and measured distances from various points. I've found it very useful.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

playing next week but not sure how to get it on your link

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I had a search and apart from KPH describing the lovely first two I can't find much details, aerial photos on bing make it look tight.

Anyone got any tips or tricks for me? playing there in inter club match.

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Villain wrote: »
    I had a search and apart from KPH describing the lovely first two I can't find much details, aerial photos on bing make it look tight.

Anyone got any tips or tricks for me? playing there in inter club match.

Cheers

Played it last summer, handy enough course. Am not near a computer till the mornin so i'll send ya a pm then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Playing Co Cavan next Tuesday, anybody play it lately, any tips for playing it??

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

As with any golf course you are playing for the first time you should go with an open mind and just enjoy it, why anyone would want to clog up their minds with (mostly) useless second hand info I'll never know.

Advertisement