Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords League 9/6/10 - 25m TT

• 09-06-2010 11:07pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

First lesson learned today - I prefer 10m TTs to 25m ones! Just home and can hardly walk - My back has been playing up for a few days, and I thought this would be the source of any problems. However my attempts to get more aero played havoc with my hamstrings, and the back is fine!

Today was my first 25mTT - Batterstown to Trim and back. Around 20 or so signed on, and I knew I was in trouble when I saw the row of aero helmets and skinsuits behind me. I was trying my own pointy hat for the first time - I had a go with it for half an hour last night, but this was its first outing in anger

RobFowl was marshalling, and set me off, about 10th in line. Staro was also marshalling. The only other boardsie (at least the only one known to me) was shaungil, who was 4th off.

I did not get off to a good start - power was a little high, and after a minute or so I was making a positional adjustment and completely lost control of the bike. I thought I was heading for the hedge, but just managed to get the hands off the aero bars onto the drops in time to regain control.

There was a strong North Easterly wind of 30-35kph. This was slightly behind during the first half, but I knew it would be more of a challenge coming back. When combined with an incline over the 3rd quarter I thought I should try and leave something in reserve.

I settled down into a steady rhythm. Again the first quarter was a slight incline, and I was averaging around 280-290w. After 5km the first of my pursuers passed me. 10km and another passed. The second quarter was generally downhill and with the benefit of the wind, and I managed to push my average speed up to 36kph - the computers were a useful distraction, but I was feeling the legs already. 15km and I was passed by a third rider. Then it was my turn to pass someone - and I managed to pass a second just before half-way.

After turning round the speed gradually dropped, eventually going below 35 kph. 3 more passed me, and I overtook another 2 during the second half. I managed to pick it up again for the final couple of km, pushing the power up to around 310w for that spell, although by that time the legs were very painful.

Managed to cross the line in 1hr 9m 19s. I had hoped for a sub 70 minute, and I guess the pointy hat got me there. The first guy that had passed me clocked around 55 minutes, and at least one other was sub 1hr

Average speed - 34.6kph
    Power - average 261w, pedalling 262w, normalised 269w, maximum 657w

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

so so sore. 64 mins odd. Same as last year same poor prep as last year and same result. Who'd have thunk it.

Need to practice being aero to get the power out and haven't been but still thought I'd improve on the time from last year. Some cracking times including a 55 min and sub 1 hr from a junior. Fair play to them. Maybe the TT bike and loan of a pointy hemet might mke a difference for the Leinsters next week?

Annoyed with myself for not being properly prepared. Kathleen O'Sullivan tonight should bbe fun but ofen when I feel sore going into a race I do better. We'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

My first club race, joined up a couple of months ago but between illness and injury this was my first race. I was 5th off. Found the windy conditions tricky especially on the way back. Could hardly sleep last night....my ass was so sore! I wouldn't mind but I did this distance in a triathlon at the weekend and it didn't hurt at all!

Really enjoyed my first race, 66 min 12 sec, one guy passed me (the sub 55 i guess) and I got one at about 38k. Will be back for more next Wednesday in my first proper race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well done guys! Some good times there.

I've only done one of these (the boards informal one last year was on the same out-an-back as you did) and I still have flashbacks. The horror! Really not looking forward to the 40k in the Orwell league later in the season.

Yoinks as Beasty pointed out I did 66 last year so improved by 2 mins. with same crappy prep. That's good I'm much happier.

Yeah the ass is pretty tender alright and after I hocked up half a lung at the end I started to cramp all over my legs and into my perenium which was a new one to me. a medical professional did inform me that it is possible to cramp there but norrmally occurs in a different environment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Yoinks as Beasty pointed out I did 66 last year so improved by 2 mins. with same crappy prep. That's good I'm much happier.

Yeah the ass is pretty tender alright and after I hocked up half a lung at the end I started to cramp all over my legs and into my perenium which was a new one to me. a medical professional did inform me that it is possible to cramp there but norrmally occurs in a different environment.

Was going to offer deep heat but ..........

• Advertisement

I actually clenched and my hammer went into cramp as I read that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭TPMAC

Anyone know who won it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

TPMAC wrote: »
    Anyone know who won it?

Not sure of his name but it was a Dan Morrissey rider who did a 55.

Only 3 broke the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GavJudge

Afternoon folks, just wondering if you could tell me where the sign on for the Kathleen O'Sullivan is tonight? Considering going out for it!, Cheers! G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭TPMAC

Sign on in Garristown Main Street

Here is a link to the circuit...same as club league circuit from May 5th if you happened to be on that. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/80504

Not sure of race start time but think its 7.15pm...maybe someone else can confirm that?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info!, I'm gonna have to ride out to it, do you know if there's anywhere to leave your bag!?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

GavJudge wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!, I'm gonna have to ride out to it, do you know if there's anywhere to leave your bag!?
    Start and finish are at the same place, so your best bet is to try and find a friendly official or other rider and put it in their car!

Gav,

I'll be there in Swords gear and black Hyundai Trajet if you want.

Shaun

Beasty your a beaut'! thanks again!

Cheers Shaun I'll try and track you down!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not sure of his name but it was a Dan Morrissey rider who did a 55.

Only 3 broke the hour
    I think he's Kevin Shelley

Advertisement