Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Redundant home backup solution!

• 09-06-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I’m looking for a redundant backup solution for my home. Id like to backup about a 1TB of info and I am going to emphasis the redundancy as I don’t think there’s any point in keeping such a large volume of information if it cannot be protected from a failure of some sort.

Just wondering if anyone has a redundant backup solution at home for such a large volume of data.

Thanks in advance for an input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

If you do a search through this forum you should find a few threads on this already. A important point to remember is to keep a copy offsite in some form. No point in having 2 sets of data in the same location that can be lost due to theft / fire / flood etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

If you do a search through this forum you should find a few threads on this already. A important point to remember is to keep a copy offsite in some form. No point in having 2 sets of data in the same location that can be lost due to theft / fire / flood etc.

Best of luck.

Nope nobody seems to have raised this before. After a search for redundant backup all results were irelevant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You might try a Google search (with 'site:www.boards.ie' as a search term) rather than the boards own one; some people have said in the past that this works better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    You might try a Google search (with 'site:www.boards.ie' as a search term) rather than the boards own one; some people have said in the past that this works better

Nope not much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

get a second external hard drive, encrypt the data on it using truecrypt or similiar and give it to a mate / keep it in your drawer at work for safe keeping.

unless you have a decent upload speed any online options are ruled out.

no point keeping a second copy in your house.

my thoughts on it, but looking for the same myself so interested to see what comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Cableguy wrote: »
    Nope not much better!

Don't search using the phrase "redundant backup". A backup is a form of redundancy so that would be an unusual phrase to use - hence, no search results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Random wrote: »
    give it to a mate / keep it in your drawer at work for safe keeping.

Exactly. Probably the single best thing you can do - get it off site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Use a NAS device like D-Link's DNS 323 or HP Media Smart Server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm going to assume you want to do regular backups so a quick dump to external drive and moving it off site isn't suitable.

You could just add a second drive to your current machine and setup MS Robocopy to do regular mirrors throughout the day.

Then for the most important data you setup a scheduled online backup. Because this is a home server i'm going to assume that most of the 1TB is media and a fraction is actually important data like study, projects etc..

By the way, whats your budget?

Advertisement