Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

64bit vs 32bit OS

• 09-06-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Is there any advantage to using a 64 bit OS other than the increased memory cap? If i changed form XP to XP 64 would my computer run any better?

Im on an Athlon64 3200 btw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

It's unlikely. Moving to 64-bit would allow you to increase your memory capacity which would improve performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    It's unlikely. Moving to 64-bit would allow you to increase your memory capacity which would improve performance.
    I have no intention of buying more ram, so it would make no difference then.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

no real benefit if you don't get the memory tbh, i have 12gb and certainly notice the speed.

barrackali wrote: »
    no real benefit if you don't get the memory tbh, i have 12gb and certainly notice the speed.
    Having 12 GB of memroy dosent make your PC faster unless you are actually using that much RAM, are you running multiple instances of Crysis or something XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

If the 4 gb that's supported under a 32 bit os doesn't help then increasing that to 8, 12 or whatever gb, won't do much for general performance. Really only worth it if you have apps that benifit from large amounts of memory.

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I run photoshop and many other ram intensive programmes at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I initially ran Windows 7 32bit & moved to 64bit. I had no reason for moving other than I wanted to try it out, I've found Win 7 64 runs noticeable smother than the 32bit version. I'm talking about general use now & nothing to do with excessive RAM, I only have 4GB anyway.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Teutorix wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to using a 64 bit OS

One disadvantage is that there may be less driver support.
    Eg. if you've an old printer. Some older games need a bit of patching to get them to work on a 64-bit machine.

So you might want to make a list of your favourite software and do a quick search to see if anyone has issues running them in 64-bit mode.

Hmm, i dont think i even need a list, i play a ton of old PC games, i think ill stick with 32 bit until I decide to upgrade, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

64 bit along with handling more ram also processes much larger chunks of data. Whereas a 32-bit processor/os would need to break down those same chunks of data and process them as seperate ticks.

Simply, its a lot more efficient, especially if you are handling large chunks of data, long integers or floating points, and the like. And programs love floating points, do they ever. These include photoshops, video edits, etc. and video games have already been using graphics cards that process at 128-bit or higher for a number of years now: you need it in order to process those huge textures and swaths of polygons. a GTX 260 as i understand it, for instance, uses a 192 core graphics processor and a 512-bit pipeline, in contrast to a 32-bit pipe.

If you still use your computer to write word .doc's and read email, sure, stick with 32-bit. Either way theres very few lingering compatibility issues between 32 and 64 bit. Windows already manages easily between your 64-bit programs and your 32-bit (x86) programs. I've not encountered any issues playing any 32-bit games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Programs will only utilise a certain amount of ram anyway no matter whats installed :( found out the hard way

Advertisement