Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strabane Canal C+C...

• 10-06-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Thought i'd post some photos i took this evening up here for C+C slightly nervous now as i dont know what people will think. Basically smashey and myself went for a walk this evening and were chatting about post processing and i was saying how i don't like it but i tried decided to try a small bit of post processing this evening and i like the result (shock horror), always feel free to tear lumps or compilment, im looking for any feedback and if any of you guys see where i can improve next time im all ears,

Thanks all.

P.S.Click for larger view thanks hbr woulda never thought to add to my post otherwise

1. 4686697440_1c94c5a05a.jpg

2. 4686077103_7b58185b59.jpg

3. 4686069397_320af8a8ab.jpg

4. wanted a retro grainy look to this...
    4686712834_b438a8350a.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Hi everyone,

Thought i'd post some photos i took this evening up here for C+C slightly nervous now as i dont know what people will think.

I like #1 It really captures the tranquility of the place. Some will probably
    suggest a slightly different composition with less blue sky would be
    better, but I like it just as it is.

#2 is also good. A tricky exposure, but you handled it well.

#3 is ok. I don't like the dark shadows that are so prominent
    at the bottom-right.

Not so keen on #4 I much prefer the original colour version.

Links to larger versions on pix.ie or wherever would be useful.

ps Just found them on your flickr page. The bigger images look even better.

I like the first one, but I do prefer the edited version.

The first one is nice, I like the sky, but I think it's a little too centered or something? I don't really like the gap to the left of the image, to the left of the bush. Not sure why, but I think it'd have been good to move the camera a bit more to the right. Perhaps enough that the bush isn't even in the image, and the pathway starts on the left of the image.

This would also throw the bridge more to the left which i think would look nice. In saying that though, I was never there so don't know what's outside the right of the frame, but if the path continues on into a series of bushes or trees or something, I think that would've been better composition.

2 is nice, and looks like it could've been awkward to get it right, which I feel you did. Getting a little lower down, in my opinion, would have probably made it a bit better. I think the grass/wall in the background/lower branches of the tree all get lost in each other too easily.

If you were down lower, then you could have possibly cut out the ground and had just the tree standing alone against the sun. But then again, if you moved lower, the sun would be lower in the frame, too, so I don't know if that'd work. :confused:

I don't particularly care for three 3 if I'm being completely honest. It seems very bland or something. The right gate seems a tad dark. Bumping up the contrast a bit and cropping tighter on the left gate could probably make it look a lot better, but as it is, without trying to sound insulting or offensive; I'm really not digging it.

4 Is better than 1 in my opinion. I like the look of it for some reason. The effect you added to it, and the change of composition makes it look a lot better in my opinion (not that I'm knocking number 1).

You should mess about with PP though. Personally, I use Paint.net as it's fairly straight-forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

being honest- too plain, dull.
    No 2 is nice attempt/idea but too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks for the feedback,

I know what your saying dinneenp, I have found recently that most of my shots were only OK looking thats why it tried some post processing this time, i know you can't make a bad shot good with PP but i thought the photos were OK without PP, i've posted here to try and get hints and tips to improve my shots to try and get the WOW factor incorprated into my photos, any ideas?

KKV + hbr , in 1 i thought at the time i'd leave the gap to the left like that as it showed both paths, to the bridge and on down the banking, but after i went in and recropped in picaso i agree with you totally the fact that you see the second path does nothing for the origional, as regards the bridge being more centered i agree but there is a large orange lifebouy just out of shot on the right and it spoils the picture unfortunently, but i agree with you there, maybe a different angle would have been better.

the second one i took about 10 - 15 shots of it, ive started using M mode on my camera and thought id futter with settings on this one , i couldn't get down lower unfortunently as i was standing at a gate i could've went into the feild a suppose and got lower, as i agree the branches and background wouldn't blend together if lower and tree itself is too dark, any ideas on how to rectify this?

3rd one is too dark now that i look at it, and no matter what i try its no improvement, may forget about that one...

4th one i was just trying something different, i think i achived that i know not everyone will like it but i do :p

Thanks for the feedback so far just what i was looking for, less centered / to much nothing on the left in 1st shot, lower on the second, hopefully the next time i try these type of shots will be an improvement, keep the suggestions opinions comming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

the second one i took about 10 - 15 shots of it, ive started using M mode on my camera and thought id futter with settings on this one , i couldn't get down lower unfortunently as i was standing at a gate i could've went into the feild a suppose and got lower, as i agree the branches and background wouldn't blend together if lower and tree itself is too dark, any ideas on how to rectify this?

I like that one. You are limited by the dynamic range of the sensor.
    If you used a longer exposure, the sky would be blown out. I think
    you got it just right.

You can play with curves in post-processing to bring up
    the dark areas without brightening the highlights, but this
    might spoil the nice silhouette you achieved with your
    original shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

i liked all these bar the last one theres something bout sepia i dont like.
    i love number 3.
    i love how the pictures show how peacefull and quite the area is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I really like #2... i love backlit shots like this, and you caught it really well. The peacefulness comes across...

Advertisement