Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intel Core 2 Duo, OS only using 1 Core?

• 10-06-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭

I bought a new hardrive for my PC and have it running Windows 7 Pro, with a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00Ghz (normal clock speed).

infoya.jpg

While playing around with a CPU Speed desktop gadget, I noticed it was only showing 1 cpu graph, and it was the same in the task manager.

task.jpgcpu.jpg

And in BOOT Advance Options, it only gives the option to boot with 1 processor.

number.jpg

I would appreciate any suggestions/idea's anyone might have to solve this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

AFAIK its cos you have one dual core cpu rather than two seperate cpu's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

cc wrote: »
    AFAIK its cos you have one dual core cpu rather than two seperate cpu's.
    But shouldn't it still show two graphs?

I have an AMD x2 in a laptop and another Core 2 Duo in a PC, and it display's the two graphs and an option of 1 or 2 in the Number of Processor's list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That is peculiar alright. The CPU usage bar should show up as 1, but the multiple cores should have their own history graphs on the right hand side. For my dual core, I have 2 history charts in windows7.

So basically youve swapped the hard drive and now your otherwise work machine of some years has become single core?

Did it ever display two graphs or did did it chage to only diplaying one recently?
    Im 99% sure this is a case of wrong chipset driver installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

pretty odd alright, do you have a linux live cd you could boot from? Just to rule out windows as the problem. If not i'd go with some sort of driver issue also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Have you checked the BIOS settings? Some BIOS models have an option for changing the active cores. It might be that the new HDD has reset the BIOS configuration, so if you cannot find an option in the BIOS a clear CMOS might do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Have you checked the BIOS settings? Some BIOS models have an option for changing the active cores. It might be that the new HDD has reset the BIOS configuration, so if you cannot find an option in the BIOS a clear CMOS might do the job.
    Thanks Diddy Kong
    Clearing the CMOS did the trick.

taskg.jpg

Advertisement