Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your sport before coming to cycling?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I used to love running and 5-a-side footie. I would play 3 or 4 matches a week and do a few BHAA running races when I was bothered. 5km and 10km distances usually. Essentially, if I wasn't kicking a ball I was running somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Raam wrote: »
    Essentially, if I wasn't kicking a ball I was running somewhere.

Forrest Gump, is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hmm...this is making me want to dig up my "boards cycling forum 5-a-side thread" from last year, it kind of died a death but there seems to be more people around now.

Maybe post it in some sort of football forum, you might get more responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

woops forgot to mention in my post, BASKETBALL dont know how I forgot that one it was the last one before my guitaring/arty side took off, played for the first few years in secondary school, was really into it, we won the schools league and I was also in the Local team and competed in the South Dublin league or something [which we won!] I remember coming in at 6:30am before school started for training :eek: every day for a couple of years, and also training through lunchtime ffs!..jesus when I think of it now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

me@ucd wrote: »
    I remember coming in at 6:30am before school started for training :eek: every day for a couple of years, and also training through lunchtime ffs!..jesus when I think of it now :pac:

WOW imagine doing that with cycling... what crazy fool would cycle before work :D

@ me@ucd- ^^^sarcasm^^^

abcdggs wrote: »
    WOW imagine doing that with cycling... what crazy fool would cycle before work :D

I know nutts! - I use to hate getting up for morning races, and the marmotte [shudder] dont know how I managed the 7:30am start every year....no wait I do I had fook all sleep >>>>>>about 4hrs usually, but then once the adrennalene kicked in after the start I never looked back!

abcdggs wrote: »

anyone who commutes perhaps :pac: :D

@accdgs I knew, just was adding to it thats all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Before cycling, played soccer for years but monday mornings got harder between the bruises and the hangover so gave up gracefully. Competed in rallies for 12 years and take my word for it , it makes cycling look cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

When I was nine I started swimming and hold it until my 16, won 3 gold medals, 2 silver and 1 bronze. On my 14 I started playing basketball until my 17. Then the exams came for university, and I dumped all together. Few years later I did sailing for a while and that was about it. Almost 12 years without doing anything (apart from smoking and drinking and eating crap), cycling has revived me, so glad I met you guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tuffbum

football for fun then 6 years with shannon rfc until under 16's then i smoked a lot of weed and now i cycle for the fun of it.
    im 23 now so its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭paulieb2006

I was a jack of all trades but master of none. Tennis, Basketball,GAA,till 16. Soccer till 29-30 then bad knee injury put paid to that (once scored a hatrick from right fullback):D. Got golf handicap down to 4. Then 2 kids later cant afford the time for golf and went out on the bike which I had for 2 years. Now I am struggling with the amount of time I am spending on the bike. Vicious circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I did swimming, track and field and fencing when I was a kid, and some indoor soccer at university, but the vast majority of exercise I ever got was from cycling.

It's not a sport for me though. All utility cycling; I've never owned a car, so I usually do about 7000km a year just going about my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Judo mostly 24/7 followed by cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Soccer referee at all levels in Ireland up to and including League of Ireland. I also road run and have completed 8 marathons but find i enjoy the bike more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Bit of climbing and caving, Must pick a different alphabet letter next time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Played GAA for a few years, then girls at about 15/16 24/7 :D, then drink and pot and cigs from 19-28. The last 5 years, Cycling, coffee, cycling and unfortunately on again off again smoking.

Nothing I ever did compares to the high I get of reaching the top of a climb in record time or getting on the podium in a race. <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Ahh so many sports, Hurling and football, volleyball, squash, xc running, motorsport, 5 a side, Muay thai. Dogged by injuries, long periods on the couch in between most of these soprts, at present its xc mtb which came about due to a nasty ankle injurie. i am also strangely enough becoming attracted to cyclocross. I think i just love the punsihment!
    Good thread btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Had a go at rugby only because it was my schools main sport,but hated it.Anything that involved a ball I sucked at,football golf etc.
    Cycling was the first sport I truly took any serious interest in. Cycling started in my early teens with the CTC and after a couple of years started racing school boy and junior.Then mountain bikes,followed by smoking,pubs+clubs. Got fed up and too old for that scene so there I was with no real interest in anything again and thought about what really held my interest and what I wanted to try next,only answer that came to me was cycling. Glad it's come full circle and seeing that I'm happy out on the bike again,I just wish I never gave it up.

Also involved in rallycross but don't compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Badminton during secondary school. Didn't go down too well with the Teachers as I had to duck out of Rugby training to go to it - it was supposedly a rugby school, but they weren't even any good.

Then Sailing, Rock Climbing with sailing friends, Hill walking, Hill Running, Marathon (only one), Motorbike Trials, Triathlon, nothing for about 8 years when kids came along, got back cycling last year for a Charity Cork to Dublin with work, and now I can't stop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

GAA, basketball, powerlifting, a little muay thai, now I'm cycling a hell of a lot and have quit the gym,
    building/working on bikes and looking to compete/race in the near future.

Cycling has helped me lose 30kg in weight(didnt like being so broad) tho alot of that was muscle! I can now eat alot of biscuits and cake and stay trim but I dont feel healthy when I go overboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Played football from the age of 4 until i was 18, tore my hamstring and it kept reoccuring so gave up for couple of years. played on and off after that and then took up running and did some races. took up cycling last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cycling was the first sport I truly took any serious interest in. Cycling started in my early teens with the CTC .

Pretty much the same for me. Broke in my first Brooks saddle on my newly-self-built racer one Easter weekend all over Connemara with the Dublin CTC. That would have been back about 34 years ago...

Boating was my other love. Many years of Sea Scouting out of 8u Calafort Monkstown back in the day. Then College got in the way. Oh, it's been years since I've been out sailing. Some day, some day...

Back to cycling in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

A poll on this thread would have been useful?

I did soccer, GAA, Running

They say it's best for kids age circa 10 - 16 to mix sports - then start to concentrate on one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

just to be unusual, but snowboarding. Only started doing that 3 - 4 years ago(and obviously not regularly...).... No other real interests in sports worth mentioning, computer nerd since age 5 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Muckers wrote: »
    Soccer referee at all levels in Ireland up to and including League of Ireland. I also road run and have completed 8 marathons but find i enjoy the bike more now.

Did you enjoy my abusive shouts at Buckley Park? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement