Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is that woman pregnant or just incredibly fat?

• 10-06-2010 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

How can one be fully sure if a woman is pregnant and not just rotund?

Today i bumped into a friend who i hadn't seen in ages, and (without thinking) asked her when her baby was due... needless to say she wasn't pregnant, just pro-pie.

So i ask you, how can you be fully sure? Is there something that separates the appearance of the pregnant and the obese?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If someone is obese you will generally see rolls or something to that tune.

Also, they will be fat everywhere.

If they aren't generally big, then they might be preggers if their thighs aren't huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

kendle297 wrote: »
    How can one be fully sure if a woman is pregnant and not just rotund?

Today i bumped into a friend who i hadn't seen in ages, and (without thinking) asked her when her baby was due... needless to say she wasn't pregnant, just pro-pie.

So i ask you, how can you be fully sure? Is there something that separates the appearance of the pregnant and the obese?

I find tact generally helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is there something that separates the appearance of the pregnant and the obese?

The same thing that seperates not having much cop on & being dim witted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, the presence of a yet-to-be-born baby would be the best indicator.

• Advertisement

9 months.

And a baby at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Do NOT ask anyone when they are due,unless you are certain they are pregnant. Saves hassle all round :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Fat chicks are never hot.
    Preggers women can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Easy.

Pregnant women have one chin and fat chicks have two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There's a difference between a woman being plump/fat and a woman having a baby bump. Look for a BUMP.
    And if you are at all unsure, DEAR GOD, DON'T ASK!!!

You should bump this thread if you feel you're not getting enough replies. :pac:

• Advertisement

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Do NOT ask anyone when they are due,unless you are certain they are pregnant. Saves hassle all round :D

I find that direct approach works much better & saves any confusion, by asking "Are you up the duff or have you just gotten really fat?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

if it was needless to say, then why did you say it? :confused::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Punch her in the stomach and see how she reacts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Apparently people don't offer pregnant women seats in London tube trains and buses anymore for fear that they'll get the head eaten off them by some lassie who's fat rather than pregnant.
    I was with a lady in Asia one time and the locals kept running around after her like she was Queen of Sheba. Turned out they thought her teeny little gut was a baba.
    She was morto when one of them finally asked the due date. Cue frantic holiday dieting.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

This just showed up in my BBC RSS feed...

OP must try harder next time.

This just showed up in my BBC RSS feed...
    Is that woman pregnant or fat?

Some commuters don't give up their seats for pregnant women because they fear offending someone who is just overweight, it has emerged. Here, expectant mothers give tips on how to tell the difference.

It's a minefield of mixed signals, indecision, guilt and offence. All played out painfully in public on a crowded bus or train.
    Some people are just selfish, yes, but the average commuter would probably give up his or her seat for a pregnant woman, with good grace. It's just not that straightforward.
    For a start, he might not have noticed her, and is instead lost in a book or World Cup supplement. Few people repeatedly scan for those more in need of a seat at every stop. And where does his area of responsibility end - shouting distance?
    Then there's that nagging doubt - is she pregnant, fat, or just wearing a baggy top?
    Whatever the discomfort of offending a pregnant woman by staying seated, is it preferable to the excruciating awkwardness of effectively telling a woman, within earshot of about 20 people, that her tummy is so inflated it looks as if there's a baby inside?

The same dilemmas apply to seated women, of course, but society's expectation to be chivalrous still falls more heavily on men. And women, perhaps, are more adept at spotting the signs.
    No wonder some passengers are frozen by agonising indecision. A survey by gurgle.com, a website owned by Mothercare, says 84% of pregnant women regularly have to stand - and one of the reasons under discussion on its messageboard was that seated commuters don't want to offend the non-pregnant. To help make things clear, Mothercare sells "Baby on Board" badges.
    Here are some tips from pregnant women:

1. Listen for huffing and puffing, says Ellie Dixon-Jackson, 33, who is eight months pregnant and lives in Manchester, because your internal organs get a bit squashed. Plus carrying extra weight causes you to feel more out of breath. "I would say however, that it is difficult to gauge with some people until the later months when they are clearly showing a bump. My advice would probably be to say nothing if you are unsure and wait for a clear signal."

2. Belly or back-rubbing are other giveaways, she says, and a coat that doesn't fasten. "My experience on the Manchester Metro has generally been really good. I find leaning back a bit and rubbing the belly and having a tired expression works wonders."

3. Check the feet, says mum-of-two Nifa McLaughlin, editor of gurgle.com. "You won't often find a pregnant woman wearing stilettos or any kind of dangerously high heels. Nope, I'm afraid it's flat ballet pumps, baseball boots or (gulp) Uggs. If she's paired up her work suit with comfortable footwear, or just slippers, then it's a safe bet that she's eating for two."

4. What's she reading? "What with holding her bump, rubbing her back and working tirelessly to keep steady on her feet, she probably isn't actually reading," says Ms McLaughlin. "There will be a book sticking out of her bag, though, and it probably won't be a thriller or the real-life story of a serial killer. Her hormones are all over the place so she's more likely to be sticking to something light-hearted or a spot of chick-lit. There's a big hint if she's reading a pregnancy magazine or baby book."

5. Inflated ankles, says Justine Roberts of parenting website Mumsnet. "Look out for signs of extreme exhaustion and/or ankles the size of cabbages. But if in doubt just go ahead and offer your seat anyway. If she is pregnant she'll be deliriously grateful. If she isn't, then you've just done your good deed for the day anyway."

6. A waddling walk is another sign, says pregnant Joanne Fenwick, 32, from Newcastle. "The tell-tale signs would definitely be the holding or hugging of the bump, even before the bump is visible. Then after about 35 weeks [about eight months pregnant], the waddle takes over. When standing still, women tend to sway from side to side - or at least I do."

7. A well-defined and solid bump will clearly not be squishy fat, says mother-of-two and Londoner, Cato Pedder. "In the early months when you just look fat, you don't need to sit down anyway. By the time you do need to sit down, by six or seven months, the bump is so round and defined that only a fool would mistake it for fat. I always found people stood up on buses and trains, especially the elderly, who could do with the seat even more than me. But never on the Tube, even when I was eight months pregnant and looked like I had a hippo up my frock."
    It would be even clearer, of course, if more pregnant women asked politely for a seat, rather than suffered in seething silence.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement