Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1TB external HD showing up as RAW file format!!!

• 10-06-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

A friend has asked me to look at his hard drive for him, it is a 1 tb WD Mybook. Basically when I plug it into my PC it connects and I can see it in my computer, but it shows up as local disk I: If I right click and go to properties it tells me the drive is of file type RAW and size 0 bytes free space zero bytes, yet if I go into my disk management the drive is there as I: type raw size 931 gb.

I am not too bothered about the data that was on the drive as there was nothing too important on here unless someone can suggest a handy way of retreaving it.

I have even tried to format the drive but i get an error saying the format did not complete successfully.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    TT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Sounds like a faulty hard disk, best get it replaced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

Is there anything else it could be the hard drive seems to be powering up and spinning without any problems, my friend is out of work and dont think he could afford to replace it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its sub a year old its within warranty and will be free.

Tried using CHKDSK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If its sub a year old its within warranty and will be free.

Should have a 3 year warranty if you deal directly with Western Digital rather than the retailer, and you'd most likely have it back within a week.

Might not be a hardware fault though... If you're really not worried about the data, I would delete the volume in disk management, then set up a new one

Any idea what happened before it went like this? Was it formatted with NTFS or FAT32?

Vista can have a bit of a bug where a drive will show up as raw in disk management until you assign it a drive letter, but if you're saying it shows up as I: in my computer that's not gonna be it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try using a live cd to see the drive,unix or see here www.ntfs.com livecd
    activeboot disk ,it has format or recovery functions for drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭testtech05

tman wrote: »
    Should have a 3 year warranty if you deal directly with Western Digital rather than the retailer, and you'd most likely have it back within a week.

Might not be a hardware fault though... If you're really not worried about the data, I would delete the volume in disk management, then set up a new one

Any idea what happened before it went like this? Was it formatted with NTFS or FAT32?

Vista can have a bit of a bug where a drive will show up as raw in disk management until you assign it a drive letter, but if you're saying it shows up as I: in my computer that's not gonna be it...

Its over one year unfortunately, might try getting onto WD direct though. As far as I know it used to be FAT32. Gonna try and delete the drive now and set up a new one. Ill let you guys know if it works.

Advertisement