Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dixieland

• 10-06-2010 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

I've been listening to a bit of Phenomenal Dukes of Dixieland but besides that, I don't really know that much about it but I like it. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Fringe wrote: »
    I've been listening to a bit of Phenomenal Dukes of Dixieland but besides that, I don't really know that much about it but I like it. Any recommendations?

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

You could try Kid Ory, King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Seven (and his All-Stars), Original Dixieland Jass Band, and Bix Beiderbecke. There are good few New Orleans/traditional Jazz revival bands around, including the Preservation Hall Jazz Bands, if you are looking for more modern recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Eddie Condon (& Allstars)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

You could try Kid Ory, King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Seven (and his All-Stars), Original Dixieland Jass Band, and Bix Beiderbecke. There are good few New Orleans/traditional Jazz revival bands around, including the Preservation Hall Jazz Bands, if you are looking for more modern recordings.

I'd second Preservation Hall Jazz Band - saw them in Washington DC years ago on a 4th July weekend and they were class. I think when they played here in Dublin, all of them over 70 years of age bar one, the son of person in original line-up.

I also like Chris Barber - never heard of him until 2-3 years ago when he was on Jools Hollands Later. English trombone player in his 70s. Loved their rendition of 'Petite Fleur'. Lovely clarinet solo. Only later when I tried playing it on soprano did I discover that Sidney Bechet wrote it and played it on soprano too.

Advertisement