Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling's Scale of Meritorious Mention

• 10-06-2010 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

OK so it's Wicklow 200 time.

And some lads and lassies on here about the Ras over recent weeks.

So I have in my insomniatic state devised a scale or ranking system which will only be as good as it's contributions.

Suppose it's a way of informing those around the water cooler in work of what some people get up to / achieve.

Suggestions welcome

Which cycling achievements ranks highest? 37 votes

Starting Ras
    0%
    Finishing Ras
    5%
    ednwirelandmloc123 2 votes
    Cycling to work every day
    18%
    ednwirelandGlennaMaddyFredomloc123BryanLBilly Whizzgarminguy 7 votes
    Talking about riding the "La Marmotte" or other such continental delicacies
    13%
    ednwirelandBluefoampenexpersmloc123cdaly_ 5 votes
    Finishing the "La Marmotte" or other such continental delicacies
    5%
    Winning the National Championships
    10%
    ednwirelandmloc123peterakoLeroy42 4 votes
    Winning a 2nd cat stage race
    8%
    ednwirelandmloc123godihatedehills 3 votes
    Becoming Pro-Tour rider
    5%
    Becoming a "2nd division" (continental team) Pro
    16%
    JuniorednwirelandDirkVoodoomloc123ScottStormBullmastiff 6 votes
    Riding the Wicklow 200
    5%
    Finishing your first race
    5%
    Winning your first race
    5%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

it's a way of informing those around the water cooler in work of what some people get up to / achieve.

In honesty, I would have chosen the RAS, but because of the section above about mentioning to people at work around the water cooler ... it probably has to be the Wicklow 200 ...

In the same way, no one cares about you willing a 10K in an international field unless you run the Flora mini marathon ... the latter will get you instantly famous

Elite pro riders etc. all fall under the same bucket of anonymity .. people haven't a clue if you ride for Radioshack .... you mean the gadget shop .. !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

That poll is bollix, you can select multiple entries, not which is first, second, third etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Winning your first race
    all of em,
    when i was 12 it was cycling up a hill near me
    when i was at college it was cycling 120 -130 miles in a day doing 25 (flat miles) in under an hour
    in my 20's it was finishing my first MTB race (never won anything so cant comment)
    more recently (this year ) it was finishing the an post tour of sligo in a time that wasnt completely rubbish

everyone is different has different objectives

whhen i started cycling again getting 10 miles was an acheivement so was my first 100km ride after that
    i take them where i can get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Poll lacks "cycling to work 5 days a week" and "winning a commuter race"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Why don't you vote 1st ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Where's the drunken indoor stationary cycling option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Is this another way for you to demean casual riders bob? I mean, an A1 rider is hardly going to pick the wicklow 200 and I still hold dreams of making it as a pro rider, but will the poll results just be for you to snigger at when it's all over?

I mean really, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Junior wrote: »
    That poll is bollix, you can select multiple entries, not which is first, second, third etc.

As opposed to other polls on boards.ie which are representitive of the opinions of the entire nation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Is this another way for you to demean casual riders bob? I mean, an A1 rider is hardly going to pick the wicklow 200 and I still hold dreams of making it as a pro rider, but will the poll results just be for you to snigger at when it's all over?

I mean really, what's the point?

Just thought it might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I'm abstaining until there's an option referencing child carrying/ load hauling ability.

DFD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

if you do 3000k a year and finish the marmotte its an achiement, if you do the same, after having trained for it specifically then it not quite so impressive, to get the same level of kudos you need to do it in under 8hrs without a tripple or a 29t, or even finish in the first 400 under 7hrs 30 :pac:

most people choose goals not on what others will think of them, but on how much they will think of themselves after achieving their goal.

Advertisement