Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick logbook question (p/x with dealer)

• 10-06-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I'm about to p/x my bike with a bike from a dealer (also my mechanic, so we are on first name basis by now) :rolleyes:

Anyway. I wrestled through all my paperwork last night, and to my horror i had everything but the logbook, which i was looking for in the first place.

So is it possible for me, when i order a new one, to put his details down instead of mine? In that way he's getting it, instead of me receiving it, filling it out, and send away again?

The bike is just recently taxed so i have that one atleast to show.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I dont think thats possible, I done the same with a car before - I had to get the log book reissued and then I had to send it back... if you go to the tax office today and then bring the receipt to the dealer he might let you still do the deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was always sure that a dealer can accept the bike from you now, fill out a form that you sign now and when the bike gets sold on, the buyers details get sent off??? I might be wrong. See what forms are available to download...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I filled in two copies of the RF134. One with my name, and one with the dealers name, and trotted off to the Garda-station.

She prompted clearly that "-i'unno..." only to be followed by that it's sent to the owner of the bike.

So i got my copy stamped and will be heading to the MTO shortly. i'll make sure to get a receipt.

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

cantdecide wrote: »
    I was always sure that a dealer can accept the bike from you now, fill out a form that you sign now and when the bike gets sold on, the buyers details get sent off??? I might be wrong. See what forms are available to download...

The dealer will need the logbook before they can transfer ownership to any new buyer.
    I had a similar problem when I bought a bike earlier this year off a dealer, the old owner took ages to drop in the logbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TheZohan wrote: »
    The dealer will need the logbook before they can transfer ownership to any new buyer.
    I had a similar problem when I bought a bike earlier this year off a dealer, the old owner took ages to drop in the logbook.

You're very trusting.

I wouldn't touch it till I could verify the VLC and bike matched, cause if they don't you loose the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

op you will have to get the lost documents form from ur local tax office and get it stamped by the garda and reapply for a new logbook or vlc in ur name before you can do a deal,i think it costs a tenner or so to do for the replacement book,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

As the current owner you would be extremely foolish to sell on a bike without changing over the log book details. This could leave you open to all sorts of trouble, so please make sure you get a replacement (will have to be in your name) and then send it on with the new details as soon as possible.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A bike can be transferred to a dealer using form RF105. No log book is necessary but I imagine a dealer will want one.

Advertisement