Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lesotho & South Africa (C&C)

Options
  • 10-06-2010 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Inspired slightly by hearing about the Stephen Shore exhibition in Dublin, and being thousands of miles away from it, I thought of sharing a few of my photos from Africa. Specifically Lesotho and some parts of South Africa.

Like Shore, I do try to capture things 'as they are'. There's something about the foreigner's eye in Africa that can often misrepresent, patronise or exploit. So I try to avoid that. It's not always easy. This comes with its own photographic problems. But I feel that 'Africa' as a mythical concept is known to most of us through images that often exaggerate the negative, driven as many of them are by shock journalism or fundraising while other, more touristic photos emphasise the romantic.

My experience has so far been that all this is true, and false. Hopefully, in time, I'll have more project-based photos to share.

PHOTOS OF LESOTHO & SOUTH AFRICA
    Lesotho is a poor, moutainous kingdom entirely surrounded by South Africa. Its lowest point is 1,400 metres and soars to 3,400 metres in the highlands to the east. Its neighbour is the economic powerhouse of Africa, but the Lesotho people - 'Basotho' - are proud of their independence, the result of efforts by their remarkable 19th century king Moshoeshoe I. This independence, though, affects people's life chances. There is a small, wealthy population and a large poor population, with most living in the remote 'highlands'. Lesotho has the third-highest HIV & AIDS prevalence rate and 25% of the population is 'food insecure'. In spite of these and other challenges, the people are warm, friendly and love life.

South Africa contrasts sharply with Lesotho, and South Africa is a nation of contrasts. The legacy of apartheid is still visible, many towns in the inland provinces are predominantly white, flanked by townships. Race is still an issue.

South Africa, and Lesotho, are beautiful countries where the landscape and the ever shifting-weather effects delight the senses. Nature and human life at its most real.

21_090921-lesotho-near-thaba-bosiu.jpg

21_090920---lesotho---maseru.jpg

21_091126-mohales-hoek2.jpg

21_091021-maseru-sun-lovely-view.jpg

21_091021-motorway-maseru.jpg

21_091125-hotel-mafeteng2.jpg

21_1002-draks-view-2-with-dog.jpg

21_201004080472.jpg

21_201003070292.jpg

21_201004080491.jpg

21_201002280163.jpg

21_201003140385.jpg

21_201003110331.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Love the one with the Satellite dish and the Waterford one! Such scenery. The lack of cars (on a dual carriageway of all things) is stark in #5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What's the point of the one of the tv? in the hotel/motel room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

:confused:

I really don't get these photos tbh. Sorry :o

I find Stephen Shore's banal scenes intriguing, both through his choice of subjects and interesting positioning. I just don't find any of that interest in these pictures.

The second one has the most potential but the kids face is obscured, which ruins it for me.

The TV one; :confused:

The rest look like snapshots from a few different trips tacked together to form a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I like them as they remind me of home *sigh*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of them are a bit too contrasty - someone else mentioned the running figure, he's kinda lost in the shadows behind him.

i assumed the TV shot was a direct reference to one of shore's photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I like 1,8 and 10 (the landscape shots). Rest don't really do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jc_eire

They are indeed nice pictures. I am looking forward to the Stephen Shore exhibition in Dublin soon. For somebody that has only really taken an interest in photography the past year can you recommend good camera equipment? What do you use?

Advertisement