Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag. Science HELP

Options
  • 10-06-2010 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I have decided for better or worse to sit the Ag.Science paper. Never done the course:eek::eek::eek: but doing biology, looks like i could manage. Few questions

1) what is the general layout of the 9 questions e.g; no.1 is usually on_____ no.2 is usually on____ etc

2)How much detail are they looking for in answers

3) Does anyone know how much of an overlap there is between it and Biology and Chemistry

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

If you have never done the course, you shouldn't be doing the exam. There isn't a big overlap of Biology and Ag. Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Didn't you have to do a project and an oral exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

What do you have to lose? Go for it! The project actually isn't worth that much... You could manage a C if you're very lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Oh, and a marking scheme exclusive to ag.science is that wrong answers don't deduct marks... like you can write down absolutely anything and only the correct answers will be corrected. Handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Question 1 - (must do this, worth more than all the other questions) general, short questions. answer 6 out of 10. can ask you stuff about animal physiology, plant families, animal phylums, rock types, soil profiles, stuff about grass & cereal plants, suff about liverfluke, babesia...ehh, things on animal weights too, & dental formulas!

Question 2 - soil question

Question 3 - choice between Option 1 & Option 2

Question 4 - experiments question. must have at least 6 valid steps in each experiment.

Question 5 - general question

Question 6 - general question

Question 7 - genetics question. know how to do a cross, & the different definitions

Question 8 - general question

Question 9 - scientific explanations

i wouldnt advise you to do the exam without knowing the course, theres only a small crossover... also, you have to complete a folder, pant & animal id thing, & do an oral exam earlier on in the year, so youve missed out on all that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

A lot of people make the fatal error of underestimating the challenge that Ag. Science poses. You haven't done the project, you haven't done the oral, you haven't even done the course-and now you want to do the exam? Absolute madness. I'm not trying to be harsh-just trying to open your eyes, because you really don't seem to understand that doing this exam would be a total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

!!! wrote: »
    What do you have to lose? Go for it! The project actually isn't worth that much... You could manage a C if you're very lucky!

the project + identifications and experiments are worth 25%

OP you're looking for a max of 75 %

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

ajjmk wrote: »
    Question 1 - (must do this, worth more than all the other questions) general, short questions. answer 6 out of 10. can ask you stuff about animal physiology, plant families, animal phylums, rock types, soil profiles, stuff about grass & cereal plants, suff about liverfluke, babesia...ehh, things on animal weights too, & dental formulas!

Question 2 - soil question

Question 3 - choice between Option 1 & Option 2

Question 4 - experiments question. must have at least 6 valid steps in each experiment.

Question 5 - general question

Question 6 - general question

Question 7 - genetics question. know how to do a cross, & the different definitions

Question 8 - general question

Question 9 - scientific explanations

i wouldnt advise you to do the exam without knowing the course, theres only a small crossover... also, you have to complete a folder, pant & animal id thing, & do an oral exam earlier on in the year, so youve missed out on all that..

The project i didnt know about, however i went through several exam papers and im coming out with around 80% on them so i am confidant. With the Questions 1-9 must i attempt all or like Chemistry is there a min you must do?

Dont worry i know what im doing, oh and good luck in Paper 2 today
    Best of Luck

The project i didnt know about, however i went through several exam papers and im coming out with around 80% on them so i am confidant. With the Questions 1-9 must i attempt all or like Chemistry is there a min you must do?

Best of Luck
    that 80 will get you 60% overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

I know, more than ill get from French

• Advertisement

in that case best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Best of Luck

oh sorry! you only need to do 6 :) ..i know from my mocks i had so much time to spare that i attempted all 9 questions ..managed to get 17 full pages worth of writing :D they dont have the marks beside each part of the question, so you dont know how many points are expected..my teacher just advised to write everything we know on the subject & then we're sure to have enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

well all i can say best of luck to you for the exam..
    it is a hard enough paper i think .. but i am going for an A in the leaving.. i find that biology helps alot with the genetic questions and animal and plant phyisology.. because if you have a good knowledge of that you can just just your info when taking about animals... be careful for the diegestive system though.. as it isnt the same..

also do question one.. some parts are common scene while others are pretty diffucult..

i would advice you to focus on soils for question 2.. because the same type of questions come up every year.. trust me it is very boring.. but i think worth it...

i hope this helped.. if you want to know more.. just ask!;)

Advertisement