Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside North Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Gona be transformed once they start reaping the benefits of that nuclear fusion reactor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Although North Korea have a lot to answer for, I did'nt like the way that reporter went on. As if she was trying to get a rise or reaction...."Oh I'm not allowed do that" blah

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

oh wow... i wonder how those pics were taken... damn that must be really interesting...
    i wish i could see more... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Although North Korea have a lot to answer for, I did'nt like the way that reporter went on. As if she was trying to get a rise or reaction...."Oh I'm not allowed do that" blah

Its so cringy when they do it - they know exactly what theyre at. Theyre just trying to embarass the guides and will most likely get them in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

It's just westerners not respecting other different cultures and countries.

Everyone should live like us of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭salonfire

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Everyone should live like us of course...

:rolleyes:

Of course they should! At least people in the West are, by and large, adequately fed.

Stop apologizing for these types of despots. If their people saw that Western people have food on the table, they might give Western customs a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Facsinating! I've always wanted to visit that country. It's just like Burma, where the government tried to hide the true lives of the people.

I hope that everything is OK for them, I worry they may not have enough food.

Googled that hotel, it's actually going to be finished in 2012 apparently!

But yeah, I don't really like the condescending tone of some of the comments, such as the dead birds on the big pillar - I mean, it's not that big of a deal!

Most of it is spot-on though. You really have to feel for people when they're kept away from escaping by water by electrified barbed-wire fences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Cool link OP.

Is it just me or are a lot of the pictures not loading?

Edit: Working now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

salonfire wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Of course they should! At least people in the West are, by and large, adequately fed.

Stop apologizing for these types of despots. If their people saw that Western people have food on the table, they might give Western customs a go!

I'm hardly apologising for people who go against the proper rights of humanity.
    I'm just saying that the west is too quick to push their ways upon other cultures.
    Not everyone is the same.

Where did I say that people shouldn't be fed properly? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

God THAT felt more like propaganda than anything she was trying to show in North Korea!!!! Whatever happened unbiased reporting???? BBC news should be ashamed, that was more News of the world style than a credible news service.

What did she expect them to do ? Bring her to the most dilapidated town they could find just to satisfy her need to smile smugly, turn to the camera and say "I was right, this is a hole of a country", remind me again where are any visiting dignitaries hosted in England....London or a council estate in Liverpool???? Its called best foot forward b**ch.

hightower1 wrote: »
    What did she expect them to do ? Bring her to the most dilapidated town they could find just to satisfy her need to smile smugly, turn to the camera and say "I was right, this is a hole of a country", remind me again where are any visiting dignitaries hosted in England....London or a council estate in Liverpool???? Its called best foot forward b**ch.

If a foreign dignitary (or any foreign person) said "I want to go to liverpool and have a look around the council estates" would the answer be "that is forbidden"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TremblingTurnip

does anyone know where the next video in the series of reports is, i watched part 2 and at the end of that she says she is going to South Korea to see what it is like there compared to the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I'm just saying that the west is too quick to push their ways upon other cultures.
    Not everyone is the same.

Communism is a Western Idea. North Korea isnt engaging in some kind of long term Korean Asian project, but following the dictates of a Dead White European Male With A Big Beard. My guess is that, were it not a dictatorship, they would want to live "like the West" as much as South Korea does. They are, after all, the same people.

"I was right, this is a hole of a country", remind me again where are any visiting dignitaries hosted in England....London or a council estate in Liverpool???? Its called best foot forward b**ch.

He was a journalist. If an american journalist wanted to go to Liverpool he could.

I tend to like that hotel though.

EDIT:

The reporter was a Russian, may well have grown up under communism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    If a foreign dignitary (or any foreign person) said "I want to go to liverpool and have a look around the council estates" would the answer be "that is forbidden"?

SO what they did to her personally to incite such one sided if not downright hostile journalism was tell her something forbidden?!

Hope she never writes a piece on live in Saudi Arabia, or any prominently Muslim culture she'd be in for a shock.

And in answer to your question if she was on a guided tour of London and then asked to visit a run down area anywhere in she'd have been given a polite excuse along the lines of "I'm sorry but we dont have time for that" , so I guess she found the North Koreans impolite and decided THEN to report about them in such a way? Such an emotionally fragile person really needs to get out of journalism if thats all it takes for her to loose objectivity.

(again I am not condoning some or all north koreas actions but I do not condone such propaganda and one sided views such as this journalism)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TremblingTurnip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv7dUhWFUTM&feature=related

This is the 3 part of the report, fascinating stuff

Is it definitely worth watching?

Loved the pics in the link.. really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

why do the footballers get to leave North Korea?!
    and why dont they escape when they are outside of the country?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Did I hear earlier that 4 of them are missing/unaccounted for? I'm personally rooting for them in the World Cup.

Two books I ordered from Amazon recently:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1847080146/ref=ox_ya_os_product

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312323220/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Hopefully I'll gain some insight!

Thanks everyone for the videos/photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

theyve decided to finish their massive tower/hotel.looks more like vegas now! pics on that page

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=151796&page=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

What a crock of bias, plenty of inaccuracies here.

BTW, its Juche, not Communism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Genrikh Yagoda

North Korea is best Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

zippygirl wrote: »
    why do the footballers get to leave North Korea?!
    and why dont they escape when they are outside of the country?!

4 of them play in foreign leagues. 3 in Japan and 1 in Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also they all have families back home who would be hurt if they stepped out of line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye its crazy. I live with a Sth Korean and he says that only special people get to leave the country! He reckons we'll never encounter a Nth Korean in out lives.

The whole war thing is mental too. They're "on break-time" as he calls it. He'll have to go back if a war breaks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Did I hear earlier that 4 of them are missing/unaccounted for? I'm personally rooting for them in the World Cup.

Two books I ordered from Amazon recently:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1847080146/ref=ox_ya_os_product

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312323220/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Hopefully I'll gain some insight!

Thanks everyone for the videos/photos.

They sound very interesting. Might have to get them myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Turquoise1

Thanks for sharing the links, very interesting indeed. Those books are something I will have to get as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

The_B_Man wrote: »
    ye its crazy. I live with a Sth Korean and he says that only special people get to leave the country! He reckons we'll never encounter a Nth Korean in out lives.

The whole war thing is mental too. They're "on break-time" as he calls it. He'll have to go back if a war breaks out.

Yeah I'm studying in Beijing and have made quite a few South Korean friends here, it's crazy to hear them talk about war and how if it does break out they'll have to go home and fight. Was heartbreaking to hear this really nice, funny in my class guy say that he didn't want to have to go home and kill his neighbours. They really see it as a problem of government only and pity the North Koreans for the plight they're suffering. They were even dismayed that they got so badly embarrassed by Portugal.

As for the pics, very interesting, it's one of the last places on earth like this. Really would be an amazing experience to see this place, though my conscience wonders how much of it is lurid voyeurism. Can't open the videos here though which is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 southeast camping

i dont care what sort of customs people want 2 practise, i just think each person should have more freedom then that! although we're not entirely free ourselves

Advertisement