Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vestibular Disease in Old Dogs

Options
  • 10-06-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

My doggy had his first attack perhaps a year ago (scared the bones of me) and hasn't had one until last week. He was acting very strange and tired the few days before and we were getting seriously worried so in a way it was a relief that the attack was the reason behind it. He had another one two days ago and seems tired now but in good spirits.

Does anyone else have an older dog who suffers with these attacks and do they have any tips on how to tell if they are going to have one or how to treat them after to help them get back to their old self quickly?

He had diarrhea when he had the attack and has been straining ever since with soft poops! Just want us to be able to look after him in the best possible away so would appreciate advice!

ps- he went to vet after first attack and got checked out and was ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Poor fella :( Which type is it?

I find this site is really informative and they have a few pages on Vestibular Disease http://www.petplace.com/dogs/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx (you don't need to register - just click close if that box pops up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Hey there Giddy thanks for the reply

I can't remember now which the vet said it was but reading through that article it seems to be central. He's a bit down in the dumps but we're gonna keep an eye on him for a few days and bring him to the vets next week when he's feeling a bit stronger, he's usually in great form so hope that returns soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Linguo wrote: »
    My doggy had his first attack perhaps a year ago (scared the bones of me) and hasn't had one until last week. He was acting very strange and tired the few days before and we were getting seriously worried so in a way it was a relief that the attack was the reason behind it. He had another one two days ago and seems tired now but in good spirits.

Does anyone else have an older dog who suffers with these attacks and do they have any tips on how to tell if they are going to have one or how to treat them after to help them get back to their old self quickly?

He had diarrhea when he had the attack and has been straining ever since with soft poops! Just want us to be able to look after him in the best possible away so would appreciate advice!

ps- he went to vet after first attack and got checked out and was ok
    my dog had an attack about 4 months ago, is still a bit unsteady on feet, head a little lopsided, but otherwise she is fine, she is 15 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

That's good to know Goat, fingers and toes crossed

Advertisement