Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are fixed aperture lens so expensive?

• 10-06-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    (no such thing as a stupid question)...
    but why are fixed aperture lens so expensive? Do they cost a lot more to produce, need special materials etc?
    I'm sure there's an obvious answer.
    cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you mean fixed focal length (i.e. primes?)
    fixed aperture would imply no aperture control.

assuming so, i'd say it's partly down to volume - there's a lot more standard zooms made than prime lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I reckon he means the likes of the 24-105 f4. No matter what focal length your max aperture doesn't change.

I think it's so expensive because the aperture value is the focal length divided by the number ie, 2.8, 4 etc... so basically the aperture can stay the same diameter along different focal lengths but the f number changes, because it's a ratio. To keep the f number the same requires some technical wizardry to allow the f value to stay the same across all focal lengths, hence making it more difficult, rare and hence more expensive.

I could be way off, but that's how I figured it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that makes more sense than how i read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

NothingMan wrote: »
    I reckon he means the likes of the 24-105 f4. No matter what focal length your max aperture doesn't change.

That's what I mean.
    I know it takes some 'wizardy' but just wondering what and why it makes it so expensive....(and I'd love one)

as NothingMan mentioned, more technically complex. which drives up the price, and as a result, drives down the demand - so lower volumes drive up the price too, as a result of fewer economies of scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'd imagine they're more costly to produce/manufacture, they're larger, and the quality of the material (especially glass) is better (bit like you were presuming in your OP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

To have a larger aperture you have a bigger lenses. So that means more glass and internal parts. Those lenses also, typically are made with better and more precise optics which all raises the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Speaking of prices of lenses, what do you think the production costs for Canon are of a 400mm f2.8 L IS ?? compared to a 70-200 f2.8L IS

the 400mm is about €5,000-€6,000 ... the 70-200 is around €1300 ..

you think the production costs for the 400mm are 4 times more expensive ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

the_monkey wrote: »

Lens quality glass is extremely expensive and the 400mm has alot of glass in it.

EDIT: 400mm is ~5.5kg, the 70-200mm is ~1.5kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Speaking of prices of lenses, what do you think the production costs for Canon are of a 400mm f2.8 L IS ?? compared to a 70-200 f2.8L IS

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Lens quality glass is extremely expensive and the 400mm has alot of glass in it.

That plus the 400mm is in less demand.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think that but its all about market forces. As long as people pay huge prices there will always be huge prices asked.

Its all about market forces, I don't think the cost of manufacture really comes into it.

just in terms of the amount of glass - the surface area of glass required for a 2.8 aperture in a 400mm piece of glass is four times the surface area required in a 200mm lens. that doesn't take glass thickness into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I believe the term is "constant aperture" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

The Glass baby, the glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

To have a constant f ratio through out the range of focal lenghts,
    your clear aperature has to effectively get bigger as you zoom.

This means bigger (more material) complicated (more time)optics.
    The further you move from the optic axis the harder it is to correct
    the aberations in the system, this is the real source of expense.

f/4 at 50mm is a clear aperature of diameter 12.5mm

f/4 at 200mm is a clear aperature of diameter 50mm

which works out as an area X16 bigger to correct aberration across

Advertisement