Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper Sheriff Street

Options
  • 10-06-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks,

Thinking of moving into an apartment on Upper Sheriff street, past Castleforbes Square and near the O2.

Trying to get a feel for the place and what it's like these days. I found a thread discussing it already but it goes back a year or so.

So, has anyone moved there recently, and how do you find it? Is it safe? Not much has happened down there in the last year, still just seems to be the Spar shop there and the butchers.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well the name Sheriff St. will always carry with it an certain negativity but where your going is fine.

Only real places to avoid living (as an outsider) in the area is around Noctors pub, the avenues and up along Seville Place, Oriel St (upper & lower) otherwise the area has been totally transformed in recent years.

With the LUAS, its close proximity to the city center, the new Samual Beckett Bridge making access to the south quays so hand I think you'll love the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It is an up and coming area. The Point Village is opening soon with a hotel and shops, and there is a market there on Sat & Sun. It is a stonesthrow from town and the Luas is right beside you. I would love to move in there myself if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

I wouldn't live there. I work on Amiens Street and my husband works in IFSC - there is a staggering amount of crime in the area. Its only when you live and work in the area that you get to see/hear of it.

BTW we bought our house & still live there near Ballybough but there is no way we would live on Sherriff Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I work close by and since the O2 opened and the luas started that particular area has changed for the better. There are alot more people around now and you feel safer at night especially in the winter when its dark earlier.

The new market is a great addition to the area and we're all looking forward to the Point Village opening.

Some colleagues live around here and they seem to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Peppa wrote: »
    I wouldn't live there. I work on Amiens Street and my husband works in IFSC - there is a staggering amount of crime in the area. Its only when you live and work in the area that you get to see/hear of it.

BTW we bought our house & still live there near Ballybough but there is no way we would live on Sherriff Street.

That is down the 'bad' end of Sherrif st., it's a fairly long street. Not too many scumbags at the other end, they don't seem to venture down to that part. It's all just new apartments, seems like a fairly quiet area. I have seen the odd bit of glass smashed from a car, but not a lot in the 2 years I have been working here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Peppa wrote: »

Y'see I'd live in Castleforbes/Upper Sheriff St but I'd never go near Ballybough so it's horses for courses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just avoid the Noctor's area as the above poster said. Probably the roughest place I've seen in my life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just avoid the Noctor's area as the above poster said. Probably the roughest place I've seen in my life.

You must not travel much.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Dub13 wrote: »
    You must not travel much.

I agree, These threads come up every few months about the area, If they dont like the area then dont live near it, The North Wall area was one of the best places to live in when there was plenty of work on the docks. Now we have a shower of run-ins on boards.ie putting the area down...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I've lived in the apartment complex behind Noctor's for almost 4 years now and have seen feck all hassle during that time. The worst I've seen is from young kids, probably around 10 or 11 years of age, hassling people. Its most definitely not the crime-ridden kip that people often make it out to be.

OP, the area you are talking about would be seen as the more "desirable" end of the street. It looks really nice and I certainly wouldn't have any qualms moving in there if I found an apartment I liked. But like you say there are very few shops down there at the moment. I've also heard that Dunne's Stores have pulled out of the Point Village shopping centre which in turn could affect a lot of other shops going in there. Having said that, its a short walk and even shorter luas trip up to O'Connell Street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement