Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiting Diary

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all, never posted anything on here before, but saw someones quit log on here and thought it was a well cool idea. So thought I'd start my own to help me in my quest to rid myself of the evil weed - and also for a bit of support from other quitters - not getting much of that at home!!! Today is Day 0 - 0 because I smoked this morning. Feeling nervous because of previous failed attempts, afraid in case this turns into another "half assed effort". Going "cold turkey" as none of the NRT methods worked for me before, so if any of ye have any tips for combating the cravings i'd be very grateful :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Well done. Best decision you will ever make. Why are you not getting any support at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scruffyboots

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Well done. Best decision you will ever make. Why are you not getting any support at home?

Hubby stopped a few months ago and reckons it was "easy" - doesn't understand why i'm finding it so hard!! So we're fighting like cats and dogs - not exactly going to help :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

It's a very personal journey to be honest. I had a friend who quit smoking two weeks after I did and pontificated non-stop about how easy it was (he was using NRT, I didn't) and went on and on and on about it. A month later he was back on them, I'm still off them. Go figure. Tell your hubby if he can't say anything constructive or helpful about quitting then just to ban it totally as a topic of conversation!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Good luck Scuffyboots. I felt nervous about it all as well. I gave up on Jan 1st. Its wonderful that you're trying. In fairness if your hubby found it easy he was very lucky. Most people don't. But it's not constant hardship. When you're craving just be strong and it will pass. As the days/ weeks go on the cravings become less and less.

And it really is worth it.

I found using these threads as my venting area really helped.

Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Miss Fluff is right. If he's not going to help then he shouldn't hinder either. It's not easy - if he says it was then he's lying to himself tbh. It's hard. And don't let anyone tell you it's easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is.

As for beating cravings ...
    go for a short walk - walk off the craving and get exercise at the same time
    pick up an orange and peel it - by the time it's peeled the craving is gone and then you get your vitamin c shot.
    pick up another habit - for me it was running. I started with the Couch to 5K program and now I'm doing adventure races. That's not for everyone but I go to extremes :D. Maybe go for a swim a couple of times a week. Or meet up with a friend and walk some evenings. Anything that helps replace the habit is good.

Best of luck and keep posting :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement