Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have D80 thinking of an upgrade

• 10-06-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the title says I have a nikon D80 but for awhile now I have been thinking of an upgrade. I share the camera aswell so maybe its time I purchase a second Nikon. When I researched the camera it came as a highly recomneded entry level DSLR, I really like, bought plenty of lenses for it but I think I would like a DSLR thats a little more than entry level.

Whats a good semi professional lens for me to consider now or in the future ?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what do you find limiting about the D80?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The D300 is probably your next option. I would recommend going for the full frame D700. You will still be able to use your existing lenses with it cos it has a setting to allow you use DX lens. In the future you can buy full frame lens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd probably need to give a warning about cost if you're recommending the D700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

you'd probably need to give a warning about cost if you're recommending the D700.

Bermingham's have body for 2,299 euro but I bought mine in Calumet, Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

And currently the D700 comes with a battery grip (free).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

what do you find limiting about the D80?

The sharing it with others part :)

i have been looking at the D300, lovely camera..going to have a look at the D700 as well.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The D300 is probably your next option. I would recommend going for the full frame D700. You will still be able to use your existing lenses with it cos it has a setting to allow you use DX lens. In the future you can buy full frame lens.

Yep...I went from the D80 to a D300. The D80 is still a very capable body,however, but isn't very good in high iso situations. The main reason I upgraded was I wanted a faster fps, the excellent 51 point AF and the fact that I could attach older lenses.

actually, the fps and the focusing made no difference to me; i just like working off a single point and using focus lock or whatever it's called. the piss-poor high ISO performance of my olympus E500 was one of the reasons for upgrading, though.

anyway, if the sole reason for getting a new camera is simply uninterrupted access, and there's no specific reason given, i reckon the D90 is a good bet; the main reason i got the D300 instead was i simply stumbled on a secondhand one.

the high ISO performance of the D90 is supposedly better than on the D300s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I think the D90 and D300 are the same, ISO wise, as they use the same sensor. Certainly you couldn't slide paper between them at high ISO's in any reviews I've seen. I've got a d80, and I can't stand the noise above ISO400, really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I've a D90 and I will go to ISO800 without a thought, but above that and it gets a bit noisy.
    If you have the means, go for a D700 the build quality, lens compatibility and the sensor are reason enough.
    That is not to say there are not other reasons but those to would be high on my list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I think the D90 and D300 are the same, ISO wise, as they use the same sensor. Certainly you couldn't slide paper between them at high ISO's in any reviews I've seen. I've got a d80, and I can't stand the noise above ISO400, really annoys me.

i thought it was jsut me, or something i was doing wrong, but your right, its a pain in the face at higher ISO.

according to this, the D90 has better high ISO performance than the D300s:
    http://dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/294|0/(appareil2)/336|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon

Masada wrote: »
    i thought it was jsut me, or something i was doing wrong, but your right, its a pain in the face at higher ISO.

We should form a support group! All you can do is buy fast glass and bring your own light!

*gazes lovingly in the direction of his 50mm f/1.4*

That's interesting, it even shows the d80 outperforming the d300s up to ISO800, which is pretty shocking!

Advertisement