Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Gravel Flower Bed

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im looking to convert an area at the back of my house into gravel flower bed, ideally covering it with mypex then gravel/pebbles.
    Its about 6m x 25 m.

I need to border the area with something to keep the mypex down and the pebbles from moving around. I was thinking of using Railway sleepers for this. Do you think the sleepers will work for this job functionally & price wise or can anyone recommend another method?

Also , with that area, where can I pick up mypex at a good price, I am sure going into a DIY store I will pay well for it ?

Any feedback is extremely grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hey Alibabba

Now I am no DIY expert, but could you use decking boards and make up a border to keep the stones in. If you alreday have a decked area in the garden it may keep everything uniform.

Just an idea

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

chef wrote: »
    Hey Alibabba

Now I am no DIY expert, but could you use decking boards and make up a border to keep the stones in. If you alreday have a decked area in the garden it may keep everything uniform.

Just an idea

Chef

Ya, i have a deck down alright. And I rang the timber supplier where I got the decking timber from about this. He said it would rot allot quicker than sleepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have an area like that (its an excellent situation for plants, they love it) but I do not have any edging other than the paving on two sides, and a strip of timber on the other sides that separates the grass from the gravel. It is no higher than the top of the gravel. It has been there for about 3 or 4 years now and the gravel does not seem to move at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

alibabba wrote: »
    Ya, i have a deck down alright. And I rang the timber supplier where I got the decking timber from about this. He said it would rot allot quicker than sleepers.

Surely if its all treated, ( frame and decking ) it should last.
    Although a sleeper being bigger and treated would last longer all right.
    Anyways was just a suggestion, hope it all works out for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

alibabba wrote: »
    Hi

Im looking to convert an area at the back of my house into gravel flower bed, ideally covering it with mypex then gravel/pebbles.
    Its about 6m x 25 m.

I need to border the area with something to keep the mypex down and the pebbles from moving around. I was thinking of using Railway sleepers for this. Do you think the sleepers will work for this job functionally & price wise or can anyone recommend another method?

Also , with that area, where can I pick up mypex at a good price, I am sure going into a DIY store I will pay well for it ?

Any feedback is extremely grateful

You can buy nylon pegs specifically for securing the Mypex in position directly in the ground, much neater, quicker and more economical than using boards/sleepers. Tip: turn the Mypex over on the edge, ie double it up before securing with the pegs.

Where are you located? Mypex is usually available form good nurseries/landscape suppliers. I doubt you would find it in a gardening center/DIY outlet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement