Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheds

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advise from anyone who bought a shed. The sizes I am looking at were 8ft(w) x 12/14/16ft (L)

My plan is to turn the shed into a studio of sorts, Art/photography room.

Has anyone used Waltons ? I can get a fairly basic shed from them for about 550€ inc delivery (8x12), and up-grade it myself with lining/insulation etc.

http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-value-overlap-apex-sheds.

There was a grand shed on adverts for sale 8x16 but the 16ft lenght is in one section too big for my van.

Any other places to go for a shed ? I would rather buy in Ireland but the prices are just shocking for even the basic of basic sheds.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

TBH I'd steer clear of the timber ones and invest in a metal one for what you want. Shanette Sheds in Kilbeggan do a comprehensive range but there are lots of smaller guys around doing similar ones. The metal ones will give you roof lights whereas the wooden ones only have smallish wall windows - not much natural light.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I bought a timber shed from Swann in Tipperary about 9 years ago. I explained to them what I was doing, and they put in a double floor which they insulated. I bought double glazed door and three small windows which fit between the 3ft uprights of the side, I also had them put on a veranda which proved to be a very good idea. If you are dashing through the rain with a precious armfull you can stand under the veranda while you open the door. It also looks nice.

The shed is 12ft by 10ft plus a 3ft veranda.

I then had the shed wired with lots of sockets (they put a separate fuse box in the house) - I put a timber bar round the shed at just over desk height to take all the sockets, and a phone line.

I insulated inside with rigid polystyrene - very easy to do between the timber structure - and lined the inside with wallboard (rather amateurishly, but it did the job.

I also lined the roof with polystyrene and faced it with the thinnest ply available - it was lighter to hold up as I was doing all this myself.

There has been an old Mac and scanner in there since it was built, and they still switch on first go, even though I rarely use them these days.

I found even in the coldest weather I only needed the oilfilled rad on for an hour or so, then it was warm for the rest of the day.

Costing is a bit irrelevant since its now 9 years or so since it was put together, but the shed cost me about 1300, (which included assembly on the spot and erection, roofing etc.) and the doors and windows the same, electrics were about 600 and I spent about 300 on materials to insulate and make shelves and work tops and a piece of cheap carpet. So yes, the shed was quite expensive to start with, but compared with other sheds at that time, not outrageous, so sheds must have got cheaper.

If you are going to do it, get a decent shed to start with, it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

TBH I'd steer clear of the timber ones and invest in a metal one for what you want. Shanette Sheds in Kilbeggan do a comprehensive range but there are lots of smaller guys around doing similar ones. The metal ones will give you roof lights whereas the wooden ones only have smallish wall windows - not much natural light.

I plan to strenghten it up a bit more, line it out, and add a lot more glass, I can get my hands on DGU's that were ordered wrong/marks on the glass etc. Some the sizes are 1200mm sq/1200x2000mm toughened argon filled !

Those metal sheds cost an arm n a leg. Just can go that much for those.
    looksee wrote: »
    I bought a timber shed from Swann in Tipperary about 9 years ago. I explained to them what I was doing, and they put in a double floor which they insulated. I bought double glazed door and three small windows which fit between the 3ft uprights of the side, I also had them put on a veranda which proved to be a very good idea. If you are dashing through the rain with a precious armfull you can stand under the veranda while you open the door. It also looks nice.

The shed is 12ft by 10ft plus a 3ft veranda.

I then had the shed wired with lots of sockets (they put a separate fuse box in the house) - I put a timber bar round the shed at just over desk height to take all the sockets, and a phone line.

I insulated inside with rigid polystyrene - very easy to do between the timber structure - and lined the inside with wallboard (rather amateurishly, but it did the job.

I also lined the roof with polystyrene and faced it with the thinnest ply available - it was lighter to hold up as I was doing all this myself.

There has been an old Mac and scanner in there since it was built, and they still switch on first go, even though I rarely use them these days.

I found even in the coldest weather I only needed the oilfilled rad on for an hour or so, then it was warm for the rest of the day.

Costing is a bit irrelevant since its now 9 years or so since it was put together, but the shed cost me about 1300, (which included assembly on the spot and erection, roofing etc.) and the doors and windows the same, electrics were about 600 and I spent about 300 on materials to insulate and make shelves and work tops and a piece of cheap carpet. So yes, the shed was quite expensive to start with, but compared with other sheds at that time, not outrageous, so sheds must have got cheaper.

If you are going to do it, get a decent shed to start with, it will be worth it.

That sounds the bee knees, thanks for the info, you got me thinking in the right direction now !

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

If it is not too late. Argos have a sale.

Advertisement