Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB Letter

• 10-06-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭

Got a letter from eircom this morning talking up their NGB thingy.It was just the usual ''coming soon to your are,exciting new speeds''blah blah blah stuff.

But highlighted in bold was something along the lines of you are currently exceeding your download/upload limit and when you get switched to 8mb ngb we are going to start charging you more money.

We're on 3MB at the moment and it said if we upgrade to the next package for less then €10 we get unlimited downloads

Just wondering if we do upgrade are we tied into another 12 month contract?
    Our contract with eircom is up in december and UPC have just finished switching our cables to their fibre stuff on the house so we are joining them as soon as the eircom contract is up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got one too. Funny,mines completely different. Says I'm under my current limit,but my usage allowance will go to 30 gigs( don't know what it is now) if I use more than that,the charge will be €2 per gig,down from €10. Also the speed will rise to 8 meg, no congestion and no extra charge. I think I'll stay with eircom for a while more see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I tried to ring and email Eircom about the 12 month thing and they couldn't give me an answer!

The email they sent back was a joke, they thanked me for taking interest in NGB and linked me to the website. No help at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Actually on closer inspection of the letter it says this:

''Should you wish to withdraw from your current broadband contract without penalty or change to an alternative package,please call us within one month of receiving this letter on..''

So I can quit my eircom broadband contract 6 months early without penalty,stop paying line rental and join UPC,I'm delighted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmmi got NGB lettter today:

it said, that my speed will go up to 8mbit and i will get unlimited download in the next 2 months withouth any charges. Just an upgrade on my current packadge...

interesting... atleast it means they are ctually checking in to every contractthey got, not just made a blank letter with same story to each household...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

I got an eircom letter a few weeks ago about this, In the letter it states that I am under my download limit so dont have to do anything but I dont think I have spent a month in three years were I was under my download limit, snakes, I rang and changed to the Unlimited package,

NTL are laying Fiber on our road at the moment, Can I cancel my Eircom contract when that becomes available or am I locked into a Contract now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Just wondering if we do upgrade are we tied into another 12 month contract?

I would assume since this is a different speed / service they will sign you up to a new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Not sure here,but don't you have to actually sign on the dotted line for it to be a legal contract. Although to be fair,I'm not sure how the law works, recently had a guy from the the gas crowd selling electricty, he caught the OH off guard,signed her up with a package with an opt out clause,meaning,we had to call them to not go ahead. Bloody cheek I thought at the time,but possibly eircom are doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You don't have to physically sign.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

stackeye wrote: »
    I got an eircom letter a few weeks ago about this, In the letter it states that I am under my download limit so dont have to do anything but I dont think I have spent a month in three years were I was under my download limit, snakes, I rang and changed to the Unlimited package,

NTL are laying Fiber on our road at the moment, Can I cancel my Eircom contract when that becomes available or am I locked into a Contract now?

The usual position is that if you have completed your minimum period with an isp usually 12 months then you can give one months notice to terminate the contract. If you have recently changed your bb product then you may have entered into a new 12 month contract. Your best bet if you are in any doubt is to ask your isp and ask them to confirm their answer via email that way you will have proof of what they have told you in the event of them contesting any future termination of contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So they are increasing the speed to 8 meg uncongested but keeping the cap at a measly 30 gig.

Decreasing significantly the charge for breaking the cap to 2 euro per gig suggests to me strongly they will now inforce the cap and charge accordingly.

Alot of peoples bills are going rise, time to finally look for a new provider me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My 7mb connection went from 5120/384 to.............5120/512 today :eek:

The speed increase is unreal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Lads I got one of these today. Saids the usual will be upgraded to 8mb, going over my limit yada yada....

Was just wondering if it's all just a scam? Will they really give me the 8mb for no extra charge?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Lads I got one of these today. Saids the usual will be upgraded to 8mb, going over my limit yada yada....

Was just wondering if it's all just a scam? Will they really give me the 8mb for no extra charge?

Cheers.

Yes they'll give you an nominal upgrade whether or not your line can handle it is another matter.

Far more important is the fact that they will start charging for going over the cap.

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/03/eircom-and-next-generation-broadband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Keno 92 wrote: »

You'll be upgraded at no extra charge, whether or not your line will support a higher speed is another matter. The fact that you're exceeding your cap means that NGB will come at a cost to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,250 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Looks like it's coming to Dundalk. Got my letter today saying they have now launched their exciting new suite of NGB products and I will be upgraded free of charge within next two months from 7Mb Home Advanced 50GB download allowance to 8Mb NGB Advanced which will give unlimited usage.

Your new package includes unlimited upload and download usage is in bold on the letter.

Your new package includes unlimited upload and download usage is in bold on the letter.

It's not true see www.ngb.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bealtine wrote: »
    It's not true see www.ngb.ie

This is what it says on the site:
    With Next Generation Broadband Advanced you have an unlimited monthly usage allowance. This is subject to a fair usage policy of 250GB per month. For more information see the standard Broadband Terms and Conditions

I do find it stupid that they say it's unlimited but subject to a limit of xGB. Kinda contradicts itself a little but at least they're telling people the limit.

Thanks guys. The word Unlimited is much abused by phone companies, there was a feature on BBC Watchdog about it recently. 250GB is plenty for me and of course I was never charged for going way over the various limits on my previous Eircom packages. What happens if I go over 250?

Again not strictly true either...

Basic Monthly usage allowance of 10GB
    Regular Monthly usage allowance of 30GB
    Advanced Monthly usage allowance of 250GB

Each version has a different price point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bealtine wrote: »
    Again not strictly true either...

Basic Monthly usage allowance of 10GB
    Regular Monthly usage allowance of 30GB
    Advanced Monthly usage allowance of 250GB

Each version has a different price point.

Yes but according to his post they'll be upgrading him to the advanced package for free which is the one with 250GB traffic allowance.

• Advertisement

Yes but according to his post they'll be upgrading him to the advanced package for free which is the one with 250GB traffic allowance.

Sure but I just wanted it clearly laid out for posterity:)

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/06/when-is-unlimited-not-unlimited/

Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?
    Groucho Marx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Got my letter this morning, telling me that we will be "upgraded" (lol) to NGB in the next 2 months and will have a usage allowance of 30gb a month. They also suggest i move to the "unlimited" package since we currently exceed our allowance.

Then i get a call a few hours later from eircom to know if we are happy with our service etc, I informed the woman how extremely unhappy i was with the service and the so called upgrade we will be getting. Not sure exactly how much she understood considering she was speaking with very broken English. She also denied that UPC had 30MB broadband when i said we were thinking of switching.

Then i go out for a few hours and arrive home to find that we are now on the 8MB NGB. So what was the point of the letter, shouldn't it have been sent 2 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is the same cost applied to going over the unlimited limit (infinity+1) or what happens

Varik wrote: »
    Is the same cost applied to going over the unlimited limit (infinity+1) or what happens

Not sure but i would assume since you'd be on their highest package they wouldn't unless your constantly breaking it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Got my letter as well yesterday.Apparently my "upgrade" was completed on the 26th August.

I really should have assumed that eircom were up to something as my connection has been useless since the end of August ie dropouts,slow webpages,crappy download speeds.

Last night I was getting 0.6 mbits per sec so less than a 1mb package.Before the upgrade I was getting consistent speeds of 6.5mb on a 7mb package

Spent 2 hours on to tech support last night and after doing the whole "plug this out,plug that in,reset this and reset that" they decided to test my line.Apparently theres a fault!!!!I told them that at the start of the phone call!!!

I get a supervisor on the phone and explain that every single upgrade that eircom have carried out on my BB since day one has gone wrong from 512-1mb,from 1 mb to 3 and from 3-7 and now the NGB upgrade has gone wrong.
    Now its being escalated and I have to put up with dial up speeds for the next 2 days.

Aswell as that if you do nothing and just go for the NGB you are automatically put on another 12 month contract.Im out of contract at the minute and told them that I didnt want a new contract but wanted to keep the rolling contract I have at the minute so thats fine.I suggest to anyone that if you are currently out of contract then ring them to keep it that way otherwise you`ll find yourself tied to them for another 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I got one aswell. Im currently on 7mb package and go over limit every month. My letter says because im an existing customer I am getting the upgrade free of charge and says unlimited usage allowance. How bad :D

edit: I know in the terms it says 250gb limit but i never go over that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I do find it stupid that they say it's unlimited but subject to a limit of xGB. Kinda contradicts itself a little but at least they're telling people the limit.

It does indeed sound stupid and may be considered misleading.

However, afaik, the unlimited bit refers to the period when you can use the service and not the volume of data exchanged, i.e. you can use it at anytime for as long as you want so long as you don't exceed the monthly data allowance.
    I believe it stems from the bad old dial-up days when you paid by the amount of time you hogged the phone line just like for a voice call. You'd have one rate for business hours (peak) and a cheaper rate for off-peak. Some package deals of that era restricted you to off-peak hours or a maximum number of hours per month before getting billed for higher costs. When this new fangled always-on broadband thingy came to market you could stay connected for an unlimited period for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fornjot

Noticed my podcast downloads were about 33% faster last night, and hey presto, Eircom's letter lands in the door today. Rebooted my modem and ran a speedtest. I'v gone from 3Mb to, wait for it, 4.5 Mb.

Anyone remember the fanfare when we went from dial up to ISDN? The logo on the back of eircom's vans showed a huge hole torched into the back of the van by the roaring internet speed. Yawn. Here we are again. A small incremental improvement sold as "next generation". In IT terms, Moore's Law usually applies, which is a doubling of all things digital every 2 years. It appears nobody told eircom about Moore's Law.

Still, just checked my usage in 3 weeks, and I am about 90% below the one month limit. I browse a lot, download about 50 podcasts a week, social network, but don't game or watch online TV, or that much Youtube.

Averall I'm happy enough.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I got upgraded the other day and checked my usage allowance, i was 7GB over it already. But since they changed me over to NGB on the 21st of the month i assume they won't begin charging til the begining of the next month.

Advertisement