Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB Letter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

My mother just told me about this, we were on the 1Mb package and are now on the NGB Basic 10GB usage.

So I'm confused, does this mean we are getting more or less usage with the new package? (Sorry I'm not in the know technology-wise and google doesn't tell me much! )

I've notice that my internet strength has gone down a lot since and it takes longer to download stuff. We do have 4 laptops and my brother has X-box live in the house. 2 of the laptops would be used for about 5 hours each a day and the other 2 would be about an hour or so each.

As little as I know about internet, my mom knows nothing about this and all she knows is that eircom told her that this was a better deal since we are currently not exceeding usage for this new package.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They will only charge you another c.€30 a month max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

All,

Got the attached a few days ago.

Rang eircom this morning to check if I would go on to a new 12 month contract when I change over (quoting evidence from here).

I was firmly assured by the lady I spoke to that there would be no new contract, only should I change my talk package or whatever would that happen.

Is that the experience of people or are they being economical with the truth??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

I have this NGB nonsense and their 30 GB limit which is impossible to stay beneath in a house full of wireless devices - they haven't yet charged me but as soon as they do I am gone - absolute joke as there has been no increase in speed whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

We have been chargeed for going over the 30 limit the last two bills.
    Also since being 'upgraded' to ngb the internet has connection has got worse.Lag playing online,lag watching youtube and lag jsut using boards.

Ringing magnet later.Eircom can fuk off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

just got my bill and was charged 16.50 for july and 16.50 for august,thats 32 euro extra on my bill.
    Its time for a change

Total Downloads to date this month: 66162 MB (64.612 GB)
    Total Uploads to date this month: 3210 MB (3.135 GB)
    Combined Download + Upload to date this month: 69372 MB (67.747 GB)
    Product Allowance: 30720 MB (30 GB)
    Combined Excess: 38653 MB (37.747 GB)
    Percent of Total Allowance used to Date: 225%
    Last usage recording date/time: 2010-09-27 15:41:59

Guess im over for September aswell

Month Bytes Uploaded Bytes Downloaded Combined Usage Allowance Used
    September 2010 3210 MB (3.135 GB) 66162 MB (64.612 GB) 69372 MB (67.747 GB)

100%+
    August 2010 3932 MB (3.840 GB) 71930 MB (70.245 GB) 75862 MB (74.085 GB)

100%+
    July 2010 2959 MB (2.890 GB) 42962 MB (41.955 GB) 45921 MB (44.845 GB)

100%+
    June 2010 2590 MB (2.530 GB) 33958 MB (33.163 GB) 36548 MB (35.693 GB)

100%+

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I was under the impression that the NGB 8mb was 50 gig per month not 30???

Glad I signed up for UPC so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the NGB 8mb was 50 gig per month not 30???

Glad I signed up for UPC so!!

Next Generation Broadband Basic €46.79 10GB
    Next Generation Broadband Regular €51.78 30GB
    Next Generation Broadband Advanced €61.73 250GB

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

bealtine wrote: »
    Next Generation Broadband Basic €46.79 10GB
    Next Generation Broadband Advanced €61.73 250GB

Thats some serious rip off.I was always on a 50gb cap with the home plus package (I think it was that package)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats some serious rip off.I was always on a 50gb cap with the home plus package (I think it was that package)
    home plus 7 mb is 50 gb alright
    home plus 3 mb is 30 gb that before i change to upc

i am glad that i change to upc as I was using nearly 220% allowance at the time with eircom:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Vodafones similar package is €52 per month with 120gb cap, which I think most here will agree reflects the reality of modern internet use more favourably.

The main reason I have put up with eircom is because they didn't enforce caps.

What they have effectively done with these new packages is raise the cost of alot of peoples bills by up 200 euro a year.

I don't think even Eircom are that stupid, there must be motive in this madness. They are banking on losing customers IMO, thus reducing their market share to the point where they are no longer seen as a monoply.

IF they reach there targets, they can come back into the market and undercut everyone.

As consumers we have no choice really but to dance to this tune, best advice is no sign with someone else for 12 months and see how the market is this time next year.

I just changed to magnet swift package ,phone stays with eircom.
    package is up to 5meg (line can only take 5meg,same as i got with eircom)
    Its 40 a month,with no dl cap,,i had then for years in old house and ping was better on magnet.
    said i dont have to cancel eircom,they will do that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

cuppa wrote: »
    I just changed to magnet swift package ,phone stays with eircom.
    package is up to 5meg (line can only take 5meg,same as i got with eircom)
    Its 40 a month,with no dl cap,,i had then for years in old house and ping was better on magnet.
    said i dont have to cancel eircom,they will do that.

Cuppa could you please let me know how you get on with magnet swift.
    Im stuck on bog standard eircom, no plans for NGB in our area, no option of any form of fibre.
    Apart from eircom the only option i have is magnet swift.
    Im sitting here right now pinging anywhere between 200-500 , usual story every evening at peak times the last 6 months.
    Eircom refuse to address the obvious congestion, i just wonder will going from eircoms 48:1 contention to Magnet s offering of 12:1 make a difference at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I just checked my number on the NGB website, my area (Loughrea) is supposed to be enabled and migrated at this stage but when I enter my details I get -

..."your current broadband product is not one of those which is due to be migrated to NGB, only 1mb, 3mb and 7mb products are part of the NGB migration program."

Anyone else get this at any stage? I'm on the 7mb home broadband professional package, I plan on giving them a call but wasn't sure if the NGB website is maybe a little premature in saying that my area has been enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Hmmmz,

Just checked my my previous bills and I while I went sligthly over my 50GB allowance I wasn't charged, this month i'm a few gigs over the limit.

I'm just curious though, on the stats page my limit is marked as "unlimited" is that the case for anyone else?

While the stats page states unlimited my bill says 50GB, one whiff of an overcharge and eircom will be losing the house line and 3 other business lines I have with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Got a letter last week from them mentioning the upgrade and the 10 quid extra for "unlimited" broadband which still has a lower allowance than what I currently use. I think there's a simple reason they don't charge for going over the allowance, namely that would've had to try and charge me a few thousand a month. :pac:

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Dcully wrote: »
    Cuppa could you please let me know how you get on with magnet swift.
    Im stuck on bog standard eircom, no plans for NGB in our area, no option of any form of fibre.
    Apart from eircom the only option i have is magnet swift.
    Im sitting here right now pinging anywhere between 200-500 , usual story every evening at peak times the last 6 months.
    Eircom refuse to address the obvious congestion, i just wonder will going from eircoms 48:1 contention to Magnet s offering of 12:1 make a difference at peak times.

The honest answer here is that the Swift service may make a difference. If we can get your phone number we can find out if the exchange has the profile available.

It is 100% dependant on the services available at exchange level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is it a bitstream 'profile' applied post package Rory or an LLU profile ( or both...depending) ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Is it a bitstream 'profile' applied post package Rory or an LLU profile ( or both...depending) ??

Its a bitsream profile. We sell it in areas where we have no LLU. The name of it on the eircom system is also "Swift".

The honest answer here is that the Swift service may make a difference. If we can get your phone number we can find out if the exchange has the profile available.

It is 100% dependant on the services available at exchange level.

Hi Rory we spoke recently,you checked my line and said i could get 8mb @ 12:1 contention,still weighing up my possibilities.
    Dont want to to enter a 12 month contract only for the off chance something faster might be available in my area, doubtful i know.
    If i was sure the better contention would improve things at peak times i would jump at it.

• Advertisement

Hi Rory we spoke recently,you checked my line and said i could get 8mb @ 12:1 contention,still weighing up my possibilities.
    Dont want to to enter a 12 month contract only for the off chance something faster might be available in my area, doubtful i know.
    If i was sure the better contention would improve things at peak times i would jump at it.

I can't stand over a promise like that as the ping problem may be unrelated to contention. There could be a multitude of different elements contributing to poor pings and speeds, all I can say is that lower contention usually (but not always) helps.

If you were on one of our exchanges I would be all guns blazing, but alas that is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bruler

Just registering my absolute disgust with Eircom, got switched to 'NextGen' by them 3 months ago ("upgraded"...) now being charged for going over the 30GB limit. The 8MB maximum speed is a joke, been monitoring mine all week and it barely ever exceeds 1.5MB. And customer service really couldn't care less what I have to say. Friends have badmouthed UPC/NTL but I no longer care, they simply can't be as useless as Eircom!

I can't stand over a promise like that as the ping problem may be unrelated to contention. There could be a multitude of different elements contributing to poor pings and speeds, all I can say is that lower contention usually (but not always) helps.

If you were on one of our exchanges I would be all guns blazing, but alas that is not the case.

Thanks Rory

This is wrecking my head to be honest, 6 months of banging my head against a brick wall.
    6 months of phone calls
    6 months of complaint emails
    6 months of complaints on eircoms so called suppport forum
    6 months of pings of 200-500 after 6 pm
    6 months of eircom support guy on phone telling me there is no fault despite everyone in the town saying things crawl along after 6 pm

Im so close to cancelling everything from eircom, a customer of many years means nothing to them.
    Sorry to rant folks but at the very least i might discourage people from going anywhere near eircom.

This is wrecking my head to be honest, 6 months of banging my head against a brick wall.

That's one of the reasons IrelandOffline exist (apart from historical reasons)

That's one of the reasons IrelandOffline exist (apart from historical reasons)

Yup Damien from there helped me get in contact directly with head of comms at eircom last time and he got it sorted withing 7 days.
    Ive posted over on their and sent pm to damien but no answer, not sure if hes still involved any longer.

Yup Damien from there helped me get in contact directly with head of comms at eircom last time and he got it sorted withing 7 days.
    Ive posted over on their and sent pm to damien but no answer, not sure if hes still involved any longer.

Damien is no longer is involved with IoffL.
    Post in the IoffL forum and ask for help if any of the committee are able to help then they will.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

iv just spent the last 2 hours with eircom bb ,going on and off ,connection at 1meg ,2meg ,3 meg ,,its now at 5meg but for how long,,last night was the same.
    What am i saying its allways like this.

And i know its been like this all day cos i left a steam chat box on ,,and all i see on it from 1'o'clock today is online offline.

As i said i ordered magnet swift yesterday ,,,hurry up and send that router out.

arrrrr plus upc went down at start of the footie

cracks open beer to chill

Cully I feel your pain mate.Im in the same boat.Im sitting here pinging anywhere from 150-200.My download speeds are 1.5-2mb on a supposed 8mb line.
    Eircom tell me that there is no problem with the service as the service is advertised as "up to 8mb" but they cant get their head around the fact that 2 weeks ago I had 7mb package,was pinging at 25-35 and had download speeds of 705kb/sec consistently.
    Next generation Broadband my arse!!!!!!!

To top it all off UPC now inform me that they want 300 euros to cable my house up since I have never had UPC here and I want multiroom for TV to get rid of Sky and Eircom.

Cant afford 300 upfront at the minute so Ive had to put off the order until I rethink my options.

Thanks Rory

6 months of phone calls
    6 months of complaint emails
    6 months of complaints on eircoms so called suppport forum
    6 months of pings of 200-500 after 6 pm
    6 months of eircom support guy on phone telling me there is no fault despite everyone in the town saying things crawl along after 6 pm

Im so close to cancelling everything from eircom, a customer of many years means nothing to them.
    Sorry to rant folks but at the very least i might discourage people from going anywhere near eircom.

Damien is no longer is involved with IoffL.
    Post in the IoffL forum and ask for help if any of the committee are able to help then they will.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

Yes ive done so a few weeks back mate see here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056022595

Hallrazer, where are you located?
    You mention UPC, can you get it in your area?
    I would swim the channel to be able to get UPC or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

This has to be a mistake surely? :p

Eircom NGB Advanced 8 MB @ €40 = Unlimited Download Allowance
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/ngb/22/?view=Standard

Eircom NGB 24 MB @ €48 = 75 GB Cap
    http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bbpackages/5/?view=Standard

Advertisement